Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
99 Posts
My HPEV premium SE has the foot operated parking brake but still has HAC hill start assist so not a problem on inclines,

·
Registered
126 Posts
With the greatest of respect, nothing else about the Ioniq is 'kiss-ed' given all the other advanced technology. I NEVER use the PB, whereas I was always using the EPB, on 3 previous automatics that had it. It just made traffic lights so simple, and, believe me, I spend a lot of time at traffic lights!

Reactions: IoniqLeon

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’m lucky in only having two traffic lights on my way to college so parking brake goes off at home and back on at work, obviously I don’t do the mileage that you do but my car is intended as a long term means of transport and not a means of income,
So our ownership criteria is totally different My car is plugged into my solar panels for cheap power at home then plugged in at work for really cheap power for coming back,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Too many times I've started to drive away with the darn parking brake on.
I know its a "me" problem, and not the car, but man is it frustrating.

Nothing like pulling out of the driveway already mad at yourself, lol.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Blue
20 Posts
Why did Hyundai opt for a foot parking brake in the Ioniq which is reminiscent of the bygone Merc B Class was there a design issue as to why they had to use it over an electronic button parking brake?

It just seems a bit backdated to me given all the technological advancements in this car

Maybe I am wrong and there is good reason for it so discuss
Exactly! I've not had a peddle down there since the 90's. I always forget to release it.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Blue
20 Posts
Too many times I've started to drive away with the darn parking brake on.
I know its a "me" problem, and not the car, but man is it frustrating.

Nothing like pulling out of the driveway already mad at yourself, lol.
That is not just a you problem. I've started to back out and the car sits there, and realisation dawns.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I have got used to it now and can release it and put the car in drive in one operation now which you could not do with a handbrake but still think they should have gone with electronic handbrake right across the model range

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have got used to it now and can release it and put the car in drive in one operation now which you could not do with a handbrake but still think they should have gone with electronic handbrake right across the model range
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but as I posted previously my old Renault scenic had to have The electronic parking brake replaced for just short of a £1000 a few years back,
The stupid design meant the servo and ECU including cables are bolted above the rear suspension to take the full force of snow/ ice/ rain and salt,
So the whole unit needed replacing, now look at the Iconiq a simple Foot operated ratchet Inside the car with two cable going to the callipers, a simple elegant design that will last for the lifetime of the car,
As I said previously I’m all in favour of KISS and the Iconiq mechanical parking brake meets
That criteria IMO

·
Registered
Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Premium SE Polar White purchased new March 2018
16 Posts
Only problem with the foot operated brake is that it doesn’t disengage the drive, so the car creeps forward even when it has been applied. As a result I have to sit with my foot on the brake when stopped. Our other car cuts the drive when the handbrake is applied, which makes a lot more sense. To put the footbrake on, engage neutral and then have to release the footbrake, engage drive before moving off is idiotic.
I have also had a couple of occasions in the past where I have used the handbrake to create a controlled skid in order to avoid someone who was travelling too fast in snow - I would not like to attempt that with the Ioniq footbrake...

41 - 49 of 49 Posts