Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did Hyundai opt for a foot parking brake in the Ioniq which is reminiscent of the bygone Merc B Class was there a design issue as to why they had to use it over an electronic button parking brake?

It just seems a bit backdated to me given all the technological advancements in this car

Maybe I am wrong and there is good reason for it so discuss

·
Registered
525 Posts
I guess it will come. It’s standard in my EV.

Reactions: IoniqLeon

·
Registered
234 Posts
We have a foot parking brake on our 2008 Prius, and had one on our 2004 Prius before that. Once you get used to it, you just use it. Also, in an emergency, you can apply it without taking your hands off the steering wheel or fumbling for buttons.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,131 Posts
I hated the foot parking brake when I first got the car. I am very used to it now and almost prefer it. It doesn't take up any console space and it's not in the way, at least not for me. SWMBO usually forgets to unset it when I set it but she's getting used to it too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
your wait is over
2020 Ioniq has an electric park brake
I have a photo but for some reason I can't upload it.... Shifter console
FF

Edit: added link to photo of shifter console

·
Registered
41 Posts
It saves the center console space and is lighter and cheaper than an electric one. It's also retro ;)
1st thing I said when I seen it...hey that reminds me of the old Ford E brake..."no harm in copying a good idea", I say. But, the wait is over as the 2020 has an electric button for an E brake. Link is in post #7 to the photo of the shift console with the E brake button clearly shown. Along with cooled seats, view selection & hold assist.

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,837 Posts
Along with cooled seats, view selection & hold assist.
Cooled seats on the Canadian models would definitely be welcome. I understand the European and British models already have them on some trim levels. But Canada can get very hot and sticky too, so they would be a welcome addition for summer months, especially on trims with leather seats.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,131 Posts
Cooled seats on the Canadian models would definitely be welcome. I understand the European and British models already have them on some trim levels. But Canada can get very hot and sticky too, so they would be a welcome addition for summer months, especially on trims with leather seats.
Someone noted on the forum the other day (@TKGDee ?) that they were a bit jealous that the US model could come with a sunroof. I would gladly trade my sunroof for cooled seats and a heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
So the heated steering wheel is badly designed, the material used to hold the heat when on, also holds the heat when off and its 1000 degrees outside.. so basically its a permanently heated steering wheel. I literally have to drive with the AC vents pointed at the wheel.

Ventilated seats are cool, but not for the extra price,but it surprises me this isn't offered as an option in the USA? I know the Yukon XL that I drove in Canada had em.. that was such a sweet drive.. even with the average 10mpg :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Surprised seat cooling is not standard in all countries given the batteries are under the rear seat, I thought that was the reason for them

·
Registered
195 Posts
I like the principle of a fully mechanically operated parking brake - be it hand or foot operated.
What effect would a total electrical failure have on an electrical brake. Would it fail to engage or would it fail safe and lock the brakes without power?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I like the principle of a fully mechanically operated parking brake - be it hand or foot operated.
What effect would a total electrical failure have on an electrical brake. Would it fail to engage or would it fail safe and lock the brakes without power?
Parking brakes (any) is held in locking position by mechanics. It would just need a mechanism to release it, allowing the car to be towed. There are already such for opening the driver door and the hatch. Parking the car on a reasonable flat space, in such emergency of no power, the P position should be enough. Without power, nothing works anyway.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Mechanical? Its a hydraulic system like any other car. You lose the boost when the power goes down, that's all. Regen is controlled by an electric switch or sensor of some sort on the first third or so of the brake pedal travel. Braking by wire will only happen in truly autonomous vehicles.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mechanical? Its a hydraulic system like any other car. You lose the boost when the power goes down, that's all. Regen is controlled by an electric switch or sensor of some sort on the first third or so of the brake pedal travel. Braking by wire will only happen in truly autonomous vehicles.
Yes, hydraulic, not mechanical, some part of the system. That’s not the point, but a distraction. The question is, does the braking system have mechanical, hydraulic (or pneumatic, if you ask for it) components all the way down to controlling the brake calipers, or does it incorporate a “fly by wire” electronic component with an actuator in between. I hope you are right about the one third way switch, but I don’t know where you got the info to support it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts