Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Test it for yourself. Safe empty road, twenty mph, put it in neutral and turn car off and see if the brakes work. It will take a much harder push without the boost of course, but it will stop. I might try it myself next week (not driving it this week), be interesting to see if the boost (which I believe is electric) works when the car is off. But either way, the brakes will work.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You are tempting me... If I lived in Utah or Arizona I’d try it tomorrow. But I will.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've coasted down the driveway (big hill) before without turning my car on. I just bought the thing and I pressed the Start/Stop button without pressing the brake pedal hard enough to enable the drive systems (No green double arrow car on the dash). At the bottom of the driveway the car stopped, but I really had to lean in to the brake pedal. So, there is a continuous, conventional hydraulic brake connection in there with an auxiliary boost system - just like most every car from the past 50 years or so.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Well, that answers the question about the boost then. When I open my car door, there is at least one motor that appears to be activated without turning the car on, not sure anyone here has identified what is going on. I'd always guessed fuel pump, but it would be cool if it had been brake boost from a safety perspective.

·
Super Moderator
2,128 Posts
When I sit in the car and put my foot on the brake there is always a motor sound which I have surmised is the braking system , though I could be wrong . I am not brave or foolish enough ? to test it on the open road though :)

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
786 Posts
When I sit in the car and put my foot on the brake there is always a motor sound which I have surmised is the braking system , though I could be wrong . I am not brave or foolish enough ? to test it on the open road though :)
No need for testing here. This is the 12V electrical oilpump on the active hydraulic booster. This provides hydraulic pressure for the Integrated Brake Actuation Unit.

·
Super Moderator
2,128 Posts
No need for testing here. This is the 12V electrical oilpump on the active hydraulic booster. This provides hydraulic pressure for the Integrated Brake Actuation Unit.
Thought is was something along those lines . But no worries I've no intention of testing it :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
So the heated steering wheel is badly designed, the material used to hold the heat when on, also holds the heat when off and its 1000 degrees outside.. so basically its a permanently heated steering wheel. I literally have to drive with the AC vents pointed at the wheel.

Ventilated seats are cool, but not for the extra price,but it surprises me this isn't offered as an option in the USA? I know the Yukon XL that I drove in Canada had em.. that was such a sweet drive.. even with the average 10mpg :D
i'm UK so heated steering wheel and vented seats are most welcome :)

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Plugin, Phantom black
132 Posts
Why did Hyundai opt for a foot parking brake in the Ioniq which is reminiscent of the bygone Merc B Class was there a design issue as to why they had to use it over an electronic button parking brake?

It just seems a bit backdated to me given all the technological advancements in this car

Maybe I am wrong and there is good reason for it so discuss
I just bought a 2019 Ioniq electric Plus (PlugIn) last week and it has a foot parking brake. My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was given a Kona for a loaner when my transmission was being replaced. Only thing I liked about it was the good old fashioned hand brake!

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Plugin, Phantom black
132 Posts
I was given a Kona for a loaner when my transmission was being replaced. Only thing I liked about it was the good old fashioned hand brake!
Agreed. But with what this car offers and my achieving over 125MPG on my plug in, I can easily live
with this technology!

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV
47 Posts
I always thought the parking brake was rear wheel only and cable activated. That is how you can drift so well by locking it up. With the foot operated parking brake you have to have one hand pulling the relase lever to control the drift. With the hand brake you just hold down the button as you pull.

·
Registered
777 Posts
With the foot operated parking brake you have to have one hand pulling the relase lever to control the drift. With the hand brake you just hold down the button as you pull.
Hyundai's foot parking brake (at least in our old Santa Fe and my current Ioniq) doesn't have a release lever. Push to set, then push again to release. If there's any control at all during a drift it would likely be by modulating the speed at which you withdraw the pedal after the release.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV
47 Posts
Guess I am showing my age with the release lever. My ioniq is as you describe. I will have to give it a try. May be easier than holding the release lever.

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
99 Posts
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I much prefer the foot operated parking brake, it’s a simple pure Elegant mechanical system with two cables and a ratchet mechanism, simple to operate and maintain,
My previous car a Renault scenic with a electronic handbrake had two cables a servo motor and a ECU directly above the rear axle, when it went wrong it was just short of a £1000 to replace,
My Iconiq PHEV would cost £25 for the cables and the Ratchet will likely last the life of the car,
To use a Americanism, It’s a no Brainer,

·
Super Moderator
2,128 Posts
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I much prefer the foot operated parking brake, it’s a simple pure Elegant mechanical system with two cables and a ratchet mechanism, simple to operate and maintain,
My previous car a Renault scenic with a electronic handbrake had two cables a servo motor and a ECU directly above the rear axle, when it went wrong it was just short of a £1000 to replace,
My Iconiq PHEV would cost £25 for the cables and the Ratchet will likely last the life of the car,
To use a Americanism, It’s a no Brainer,
Cheap and Cheerful no problem with that . I had a few Scenics and a Kadjar with electronic brake , always nervous about the cost of failure but never happened to me.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I much prefer the foot operated parking brake, it’s a simple pure Elegant mechanical system with two cables and a ratchet mechanism, simple to operate and maintain,
Really? There are two cables? Seems unnecessary.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I must admit that, after a month with the Ioniq, I do miss the electronic parking brake on the Insignia. Because it released when you applied a little power, I could hold the car (automatic gearbox) at the lights and not blind the car behind with brake lights. As noted by others, the foot operated parking brake seems to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar in such a technologically advanced vehicle.

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
99 Posts
If you prefer Two cables a servo motor and a ECU plus a lot of wiring to operate a parking brake over Two cables and a ratchet so be it, but it’s not my idea of progress,
I’m a great believer in KISS. Keep it simple stupid 😁

21 - 40 of 49 Posts