Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
The user manual seems to dispute that, even though it's not completely clear what they mean:

View attachment 31354
This part of the manual is only meant to avoid the battery becoming fully drained after a very long time, which indeed would seriously harm the battery. In such a case avoiding that has a higher priority than avoiding some degradation. However, in normal use, that risk of becoming fully drained by not being used is not there, and then avoiding degradation has the highest priority by keeping it between 20% and 80%.

Reactions: MR Scan Man

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm currently charging about 60% to 80% every 3 days. Is that okay? Or is it better to let it drop lower and then charge up to 80%? Issue is I'm using a 3-pin granny cable

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm currently charging about 60% to 80% every 3 days. Is that okay? Or is it better to let it drop lower and then charge up to 80%? Issue is I'm using a 3-pin granny cable
20% every 3 days sounds like a very gentle discharge and a slow recharge with the granny cable. Just what the doctor ordered.

·
Registered
332 Posts
However, in normal use, that risk of becoming fully drained by not being used is not there, and then avoiding degradation has the highest priority by keeping it between 20% and 80%.
I believe you. But does it say so anywhere in the user manual, or where do those recommendations come from?

·
Registered
16 Posts
With my Leafs I have always charged to 100% and seen only small degredation (1-5 %) over 3 or 4 years. You can all be obsessed about keeping the batteries between 20 & 80% - I'll just plug it in and charge it when needed and let it sort itself out. Can't be bothered with all this battery shenanigans!

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I had minimal loss over 4 years in my Mark 2 Nissan Leaf and was always charging to 100%. I found a rapid charge every now and again would give the battery a good shake and was actually beneficial to range along with a nice really slow 13 amp charge. Basically variety was the key

·
Registered
30 Posts
Started this chat in another thread but better to start a new one. People finally seem to be receiving their new 38 kWh models. Mine is due January. Can we have some real life feedback around actual range and how the slower charging time works out in reality. Any information would be much appreciated.
Around 220-240Km (having done app 3000Km so far). Way of the 311Km mark :(

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Wintertime makes lower range...
Could you add your data in the Google Sheet here to get a comparative overview for different temperatures and speeds, and other circumstances?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Jan,
Hmm. Not sure how to collect all those numbers. I rarely run her much more than my commute (2*83Km) before charging her, thou I have twice deliberately tried my luck (1st running down to 5% when back home, 2nd 3% at a public rapid charger).
So should i just do a normal commute and add each run individually?
(there don't seems to be a space for distance run?)
/Jørgen

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
For the Efficiency Tab, you can just pick one trip as an example and read from the displays the temperatures and at the end of the trip, the kWh/100km efficiency number that is shown, and also estimate the average speed.

From the efficiency number, you can estimate the Range for full battery by calculating 100*38.3/efficiencynumber. For example, if the displayed trip efficiency was 15.4 kWh/100km, the estimated range for a full battery is 100*38.3/15.4 = 249 km.

So, you don't need charging data.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Jan,
Updated by today's trip going to work (rush hour so average speed pretty low)
Unfortunately the 2020 model seems to be slightly more complicated (reluctant) in providing drive statistic.
Before start I had 100% charge / 251Km reach
When parked - 69%/172Km
Drive stat showed 87,2Km / 6,9 km/kWh / 01:19h / 7 degrees
Energy consumption (distribution): Driving=90%, Klima=6%, Electronics=4%, Battery maintenance=0%
I had to calculate some of the numbers i the sheet - hopefully I got it reasonable right :)
/Jørgen

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh - btw. - running on winter tires.
They have a higher "fuel" consumption than the original summer tires (running rate "C" vs summer tires rated "A")
Not sure how much difference this will actually give

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Good idea. I added a column for the tyres.

The efficiency tab looks good. But from the efficiency number 13.6, for a full battery I calculate 100*38.3/13.6 = 282 km, which is much higher than what you filled in the Range tab. Maybe you were distracted by the range predictions from the car or by the indicated battery percentages? Both these types of numbers are not very accurate, so it is better to base the range estimation on the efficiency number.

I still have a question. Are you sure that the efficiency was 6.9 km/kWh and also 13.6 kWh/100km? They do not agree. It would be 14.5 kWh/100km for 6.9 km/kWh, and this would make a range of 264 km.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
The lower picture is the most important. From 6.9 km/kWh you can immediately get the estimated range for full battery by multiplying that number by the total usable capacity 38.3 kWh in this way: 6.9*38.3 = 264 km. Determining the kWh/100km can be done by calculating first the kWh/km = 1/6.9, and multiplying by 100, this is 100/6.9 = 14.5. I have filled these now.

The upper picture is the car's prediction based on your past driving patterns and their circumstances and perhaps a bit on the safe side; this is not a very adequate number in relation to just one previous trip. The middle picture shows the % of the battery used or available. It has turned out that 1% is not a uniform and proportional measure as it does not mean the same in terms of kWh when the battery has a low level as compared to when it has a high level.

For these reasons, the efficiency number from the lower picture is more useful as a basis.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts