Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started this chat in another thread but better to start a new one. People finally seem to be receiving their new 38 kWh models. Mine is due January. Can we have some real life feedback around actual range and how the slower charging time works out in reality. Any information would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The WLTP range of 311 km is actually feasible! I have my Ioniq 38kWh now for a month and even in this cold period it's possible. One thing: the airco consumes about 8%, so use with care.
Last charge load a managed to have a average power consumption of 12.1 kWh/100km.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've done 900 miles so far, mainly urban with one 300 mile round trip. Stats at present show average 4.4 miles per kWh. Not brilliant, but in the warmer weather it was certainly achieving the 194 miles per full charge. In fact it went over this once or twice. Recently I have been doing a lot of very short trips - 2 - 5 miles and using the car from about 1 - 5%C. We have had frosts lately. (Yes, I have also walked a few of those short trips!) So understandably, the efficiency will have reduced recently.

Charging with the home 7kWh charger: it tends to start slowly and also fluctuates somewhat during the charge. Can't actually tell you the 20% to 80% standard charge time but the time remaining to the target charge % is very accurate, so you can rely on when it's ready to roll.

On the public charging front, 2 lessons learned. If the CCS connection doesn't work, don't use the AC43 connection (unless you have plenty of time): it will only charge at 7kWh. Some Polar charging stations can only service one car at a time, there are 2 bays, but one is a "waiting" bay.

Also, I have the 3 month free Polar Plus card and have used it a few times, but as yet my account shows "You currently have no bills". Cannot really believe that Polar provides 3 free months of card subscription and free electricity, but so far, this hasn't cost me anything. Whilst the inside of the charging compartment gets quite wet, I have needed, before the home charger arrived, to use the "granny" 3kWh charger, via an open window, often in pouring rain, without any problems.

Love driving the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Can you run the fan on the heater just so the ambient air comes through. One thing I’ve never managed to do on my Outlander Phev. Even just having the fan on it wants to run the full system

·
Super Moderator
1,481 Posts
You can find here a Google Sheet with info on real-world data on efficiency and range for different circumstances (warmer/colder, higher/lower speed, heater/ no heater). Please add your own numbers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1. I can't find a menu, where I can get an average speed. Calculate it from the distance and time?
2. I haven't done such a long trip yet, max 120 km. Are shorter trips also wanted in this table?
3. Can you describe more about driving conditons? I.e. what are bad conditoins?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think even the 28 kWh could almost manage that so I pretty sure we’ll see north of 150 even with heat and reasonable speed

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got mine three days ago, and did a trip of around 238km the second day. Did a 10kwh fast charge on a 50kw charger with 30% left, as I knew there woule be no fast chargers for the last 50km of the trip. This took 18 minutes to charge. When I arrived at destination I had 35% left. Outside temperature was fluctuating between 2 and 6 degrees Celsius and I used the heater the whole trip. About half trip was on highways.

Today I drove back, but did a detour, total distance 306km, I charged 16.8kwh on a 50kw charger when I had around 25% batt left, took me 29 minutes. When I arrived home I had 5% battery left. Again temperatures around 5C, with heater on the whole way. Also had a passenger and a full trunk of mostly heavy items.

·
Super Moderator
1,481 Posts
1. I can't find a menu, where I can get an average speed. Calculate it from the distance and time?
2. I haven't done such a long trip yet, max 120 km. Are shorter trips also wanted in this table?
1. Average speed can be a bit tricky as it can differ a lot during a trip with different types of roads. There should be some menu for it, but you can also estimate it yourself.
2. Yes also shorter trips are OK, but the longer the better. Especially without preheating the heating may dominate more for a shorter trip. Mine to work are around 50 km, but often with preheating.
3. Also this you have to estimate. Sport driving mode is bad, bad weather (wind, rain, snow) is bad. But temperature does not count here as this is already indicated separately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A round trip, 102 km, 60 km/h (max 110 km/h on highway), average consumption 13.8 kWh, 9 °C, 700 m altitude difference, from 100% SOC to 63% SOC. Heating at 21 °C.

·
Super Moderator
1,481 Posts
I saw you added it to the above-mentioned Google Sheet. One more thing, for the range it is meant there the maximal range if you would use a full battery. You can easily calculate it from your 13.8 kWh/100km, by calculating how many times the 13.8 fits in a maximal charge of 38.3; this goes as follows: 100*38.3/13.8 = 278 km. I corrected that entry for you.
(In the Sheet I renamed the heading 'Range' now to 'Range for a full battery' to make this more clear.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh, thank you. Now I uderstand that long ranges in previous records :)
I am too scared driving below 10% SOC to test full range... The lowest so far was 8% with ~30 km left, but I was returning home where charger was waiting. I expect that later I will become more confident.

·
Super Moderator
1,481 Posts
Better keep it between 20% and 80% as much as possible.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I guess the 2020 does not give you average speed like the MY19 and below. Some real nice features though in the display menu. Charge to a specific battery level and CO2 avoided are very decent to have features and info missing from the early ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I guess the 2020 does not give you average speed like the MY19 and below. Some real nice features though in the display menu. Charge to a specific battery level and CO2 avoided are very decent to have features and info missing from the early ones.
Where did you get those pages from the 2020 manual? Do you have anymore? I haven't been able to find a copy for 2020 MY

1 - 20 of 74 Posts