Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
So, if you want an update - you have to do it yourself or have a friend working at the steeler-ship to make it happen.
Now I'm concerned about the firmware update. You said you have official software for doing the update. What software is that?

I'm totally agree with the term "Steeler-ship"

·
Registered
207 Posts
Now I'm concerned about the firmware update. You said you have official software for doing the update. What software is that?

I'm totally agree with the term "Steeler-ship"
Hyundai lets anybody to update their firmware with J2534_HMA app (for third parties like independent shops or pros) download for one time $75 fee (use on any Hyundai vehicle unlimited) and you have to have compatible J2534 pass-through interface.
Just register at https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/ and it would be one of the subscriptions option, except this is one time fee for download and then use it unlimited on any Hyundai car.

Just realize the J2534 interface is not cheap (I got used in good working condition Drew Technologies CarDAQ-Plus programmer for reasonable amount from eBay ($450 if lucky), good thing - it works with any OEM reprogramming software), or the same thing re-branded as "Snap On Pass Thru Pro II 2".

GDS/VCI is more economical option vs. J2534_HMA/J2534 route. I just checked for updates yesterday and there is nothing for my 2019 EV.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Will dive into the GDS/VCI. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: IonicEV

·
Registered
207 Posts
Will dive into the GDS/VCI. Thanks for the input.
When you get it, some archived chunk files may not be readable while copying from the DVDs provided. Note the file name, skip it and message seller to provide download link for unreadable files (list file names you noted during copying) and seller would provide you with links, so you can extract the software from the multi-part archive. Do not use provided DVD image daemon tool to mount software iso images, instead mount iso images with Virtual CloneDrive or other free CD image mounting tools you trust. I would not click on Video of the install either, just watch it on youtube. It is going to take some time, and then all the online updates after first GDS app launch would be as long. Let it finish, then update firmware in your VCI as it would be too new v.2.27 vs. 2.24 used by GDS US version to match with GDS VCI.dll version. There is no danger of your VCI blacklisted as the GDS app is not updated anymore.

·
Registered
739 Posts
@IonicEV , one more question, What is trigger module? did you get it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
@IonicEV , one more question, What is trigger module? did you get it?
Trigger module is optional. AFAIK, it is just a cable with button to start/stop data recording while driving for analysis. I got one, but I bet I would never use it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a good news for you folks! I got my GDS VCI from aliexpress: Gds Vci Diagnostic Interface OBD2 Scan Tool for Hyundai Kia ( with Trigger Module Flight Record Function optional)
My expectations were low as it is known fact GDS is not working on model year after 2017. So this was exactly the issue on the first try. The good news - it has Ioniq EV and other Ioniq models for 2017. The problem though it would not recognize my 2019 car VIN. It would ask you to enter VIN manually, but then it would not recognize it either as the year is encoded in VIN. So I asked on other VCI forum question about what they do to access 2018+ models. The suggestion was trivial - just enter 2017 VIN of the similar model, but I could not find any, so I used Tesla' VINcalc.py script to generate 2017 VIN based on my 2019 EV VIN. And it worked! I could access any module in my Ioniq now.
Code:
python VINcalc.py -w "KMH" -m "C" -b "0" -r "5" -f "L" -d "H" -y "2017" -p "U" -n "000001"
replace "000001" with last 6 numbers from your VIN.
Here is example of 2017 EV VIN: KMHC05LH6HU000001. BTW, you cannot just change last numbers as there is calculated check digit (6) right before year(H - 2017): 6H
Here is VIN check digit calculator: VIN check-digit-calculator. Just take your VIN, replace 10th letter with H and use calculator to get the check digit in 9th position.
I would not dare to update my firmware with this software though. Hyundai lets anybody to update their firmware with J2534_HMA app download for one time $75 fee (use on any Hyundai vehicle unlimited) and you have to have compatible J2534 pass-through interface. I checked for updates today with J2534_HMA and there is no updates available for my Ioniq EV 2019.
View attachment 30851
possible to do manual selection on vehicle for see the vehicle list? did it support Ioniq Hybrid?

·
Registered
207 Posts
possible to do manual selection on vehicle for see the vehicle list? did it support Ioniq Hybrid?
Absolutely supports Ioniq Hybrid. When you start new session it would try to read VIN, but because of it is after 2017 it would say it could not read the VIN. At this point, you just enter your "calculated 2017 VIN" manually and it would automatically select your car. Going with manual selection of the vehicle model is not going to help without valid 2017 VIN. I explained how to get your 2017 VIN by replacing year letter with H and then use VIN check digit calculator to complete the conversion. This is the best route as VIN has all of your own vehicle config encoded with different year that GDS supports.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Can this software make "auto hold" feature on Ioniq EV active by default, I wonder? Really frustrating to have to push that button every time I turn on the car.
I know Chinese Launch X431 supports Ioniq EV/Hybrid, but it is somewhat expensive.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Can this software make "auto hold" feature on Ioniq EV active by default, I wonder? Really frustrating to have to push that button every time I turn on the car.
I know Chinese Launch X431 supports Ioniq EV/Hybrid, but it is somewhat expensive.
Such things would be exposed in your car UI settings. Just a general observation of dealer tool - it does not offer anything extra from what is available in UI already. Hyundai doing pretty good job with exposing all useful settings to the user.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Absolutely supports Ioniq Hybrid. When you start new session it would try to read VIN, but because of it is after 2017 it would say it could not read the VIN. At this point, you just enter your "calculated 2017 VIN" manually and it would automatically select your car. Going with manual selection of the vehicle model is not going to help without valid 2017 VIN. I explained how to get your 2017 VIN by replacing year letter with H and then use VIN check digit calculator to complete the conversion. This is the best route as VIN has all of your own vehicle config encoded with different year that GDS supports. View attachment 30881
by the way, how do you update the GDS software until it show 2017 vehicle list? is it update through online?

·
Registered
739 Posts
by the way, how do you update the GDS software until it show 2017 vehicle list? is it update through online?
AFAIK, The software support up to 2017 models out of the box

·
Registered
207 Posts
The moment you launch GDS for the first time after all provided updates were applied, it will force you to download and install all online updates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The moment you launch GDS for the first time after all provided updates were applied, it will force you to download and install all online updates.
By the way, that GDS only provide diagnosis & firmware update? is that any any extra function such as enable or disable some function of the car?

·
Registered
57 Posts
IonicEV, very cool, ordering now... i use the vag-com for my audi and was looking for a solution for my engine clutch actuator fluid change

21 - 40 of 78 Posts