Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ross-Tech sells affordable Windows-based Diagnostic Software for VW-Audi Group cars (Interface Cable and Software License). It is very useful for trouble shooting and modifying behavior of some of the controllers. Is there a similar software provider for the Hyundai Ioniq?

A quick Google search didn't turn up much except very expensive dealer type systems or generic ones.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ross-Tech sells affordable Windows-based Diagnostic Software for VW-Audi Group cars (Interface Cable and Software License). It is very useful for trouble shooting and modifying behavior of some of the controllers. Is there a similar software provider for the Hyundai Ioniq?

A quick Google search didn't turn up much except very expensive dealer type systems or generic ones.
The closest thing is GDS VCI on eBay for about $125, but it doesn’t support ioniq.

·
Read Only
32 Posts
Hoping the eBay variant will support Ioniq at some point. What all can you change with it? I used to have VW's and still have my VCDS cable. Tried Carista but it does not support Ioniq at all.

·
Read Only
32 Posts
My salesman thought I'd be able to sit with one of the service guys and poke through the car, although I didn't get that in writing. I'm wondering what can be changed, enabled or disabled. Would love to kill the backup beep, I feel like I'm driving a garbage truck.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My salesman thought I'd be able to sit with one of the service guys and poke through the car, although I didn't get that in writing. I'm wondering what can be changed, enabled or disabled. Would love to kill the backup beep, I feel like I'm driving a garbage truck.
The only thing I need it for is to change the Engine Clutch Actuator Fluid. However, more and more member here said it doesn't have to be changed that often. Anyway please let us know what can it do when you have the chance to try it.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the VW, with the Ross Tech VCDS, I am able tp configure lots of the convenience features. For example, the factory default for the parking sensor alert is the same volume for front and rear sensors. I like to know which sensors are sending the alert, so I set the rear parking sensors alert to a different volume than the front sensors.

Our Ioniq has not been delivered yet, so I don't know what convenience features I would like to change, but I suspect some of the nanny features would be less annoying if they are disabled.

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
Would love to kill the backup beep, I feel like I'm driving a garbage truck.
Know what you mean but the back up warning is for the benefit of pedestrians . And indirectly the driver to avoid litigation after you silently run over a less aware member of society :)

·
Super Moderator
8,097 Posts
my neighbours little darlings ignore the back up beep, and I get a load of abuse from the parent if I open the door and ask them "if the really are trying to get run over by keep running across the back of my car as I reverse into the drive"

I am sure they are Darwin award candidates

·
Registered
197 Posts
On the VW, with the Ross Tech VCDS, I am able tp configure lots of the convenience features. For example, the factory default for the parking sensor alert is the same volume for front and rear sensors. I like to know which sensors are sending the alert, so I set the rear parking sensors alert to a different volume than the front sensors.

Our Ioniq has not been delivered yet, so I don't know what convenience features I would like to change, but I suspect some of the nanny features would be less annoying if they are disabled.
With VCDS you could change a lot of stuff, even force of electronic differential, how often your headlamps were washed, which lights were used for follow me home, etc. etc. It was very complex and in wrong hands could mean that car would not work properly. I know a chap, who spent a lot of time with this software (and even more complicated from VAG) and he could make magic to your car... don't think it's possible to our Ioniqs but even if it was possible lack of info online and messing with some settings could lead to bricking your car. Still would be great to have something similar to VCDS :).

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is the GDS VCI on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/263388889168?ViewItem=&item=263388889168
As far as I know it does not support ioniq.
I have a good news for you folks! I got my GDS VCI from aliexpress: Gds Vci Diagnostic Interface OBD2 Scan Tool for Hyundai Kia ( with Trigger Module Flight Record Function optional)
My expectations were low as it is known fact GDS is not working on model year after 2017. So this was exactly the issue on the first try. The good news - it has Ioniq EV and other Ioniq models for 2017. The problem though it would not recognize my 2019 car VIN. It would ask you to enter VIN manually, but then it would not recognize it either as the year is encoded in VIN. So I asked on other VCI forum question about what they do to access 2018+ models. The suggestion was trivial - just enter 2017 VIN of the similar model, but I could not find any, so I used Tesla' VINcalc.py script to generate 2017 VIN based on my 2019 EV VIN. And it worked! I could access any module in my Ioniq now.
Code:
python VINcalc.py -w "KMH" -m "C" -b "0" -r "5" -f "L" -d "H" -y "2017" -p "U" -n "000001"
replace "000001" with last 6 numbers from your VIN.
Here is example of 2017 EV VIN: KMHC05LH6HU000001. BTW, you cannot just change last numbers as there is calculated check digit (6) right before year(H - 2017): 6H
Here is VIN check digit calculator: VIN check-digit-calculator. Just take your VIN, replace 10th letter with H and use calculator to get the check digit in 9th position.
I would not dare to update my firmware with this software though. Hyundai lets anybody to update their firmware with J2534_HMA app download for one time $75 fee (use on any Hyundai vehicle unlimited) and you have to have compatible J2534 pass-through interface. I checked for updates today with J2534_HMA and there is no updates available for my Ioniq EV 2019.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a good news for you folks! I got my GDS VCI from aliexpress: Gds Vci Diagnostic Interface OBD2 Scan Tool for Hyundai Kia ( with Trigger Module Flight Record Function optional)
My expectations were low as it is known fact GDS is not working on model year after 2017. So this was exactly the issue on the first try. The good news - it has Ioniq EV and other Ioniq models for 2017. The problem though it would not recognize my 2019 car VIN. It would ask you to enter VIN manually, but then it would not recognize it either as the year is encoded in VIN. So I asked on other VCI forum question about what they do to access 2018+ models. The suggestion was trivial - just enter 2017 VIN of the similar model, but I could not find any, so I used Tesla' VINcalc.py script to generate 2017 VIN based on my 2019 EV VIN. And it worked! I could access any module in my Ioniq now.
Code:
python VINcalc.py -w "KMH" -m "C" -b "0" -r "5" -f "L" -d "H" -y "2017" -p "U" -n "000001"
replace "000001" with last 6 numbers from your VIN.
Here is example of 2017 EV VIN: KMHC05LH6HU000001. BTW, you cannot just change last numbers as there is calculated check digit (6) right before year(H - 2017): 6H
Here is VIN check digit calculator: VIN check-digit-calculator
I would not dare to update my firmware with this software though. Hyundai lets anybody to update their firmware with J2534_HMA app download for one time $75 fee (use on any Hyundai vehicle unlimited) and you have to have compatible J2534 pass-through interface. I checked for updates today with J2534_HMA and there is no updates available for my Ioniq EV 2019.
View attachment 30851
Wow!!! Can you access “brake recirculation mode?"

·
Registered
726 Posts
It is official Hyundai dealer diagnostic software - it has access to everything.
I know it is. just to confirm with you it has no problem running, like it can connect to the server and actually can access to every function.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I know it is. just to confirm with you it has no problem running, like it can connect to the server and actually can access to every function.
You need to know what module has this procedure (~30 modules in EV), select this module with "System" button and then go to "Vehicle S/W management" area to change module settings or activate procedure and follow the onscreen instructions. I did "Motor Resolver calibration". it had a few steps including driving the car, just followed the instructions. Usually all modules are accessible, but security that may require PIN. You can not access online documentation, TSBs though - for it to work you need to get dealer account (login) for about $100 on other forums.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You need to know what module has this procedure (~30 modules in EV), select this module with "System" button and then go to "Vehicle S/W management" area to change module settings or activate procedure and follow the onscreen instructions. I did "Resolved calibration" that has a few steps including driving the car, just followed the instructions. Usually all modules are accessible, but security that may require PIN. You can not access online documentation though - for it to work you need to get dealer account (login) for about $100 on other forums.
Thank you for your comments, can you PM me the link to "other forum"?

·
Registered
207 Posts
"I would not dare to update my firmware with this software though. " - I simply have an official firmware update app from Hyundai. But basically, every module has ID assigned and firmware version. The software searches for an updates based on IDs of the modules and their prospective firmware versions to find matching latest update(s). So I think GDS could be used to flash/program updates even with 2017 year VIN, because VIN is not used in module update check, only module ID and its firmware version.

·
Registered
726 Posts
"I would not dare to update my firmware with this software though. " - I simply have an official firmware update app from Hyundai. But basically, every module has ID assigned and firmware version. The software searches for an updates based on IDs of the modules and their prospective firmware versions to find matching latest update(s). So I think GDS could be used to flash/program updates even with 2017 year VIN, because VIN is not used in module update check, only module ID and its firmware version.
Thank you for the input. I'm not interested in update firmware, the dealer will have to do that for free anyway. I'm interested in maintenance procedure like Clutch actuator re-learning, Clutch actuator fluid bleeding, DCT re-learning, brake system bleeding, stuff like that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes, all those procedures you mentioned are available in GDS.

"I'm not interested in update firmware, the dealer will have to do that for free anyway." - I think you are up to very big surprise here. Dealers are notorious for not performing any TSB updates whatsoever. It take 30 minutes to perform updates and they could not charge for it. So what they do? - they never bother to update, ever, unless you have a complaint or bring TSB to them and insist on it. I have Toyota, Honda (so called leaders among asian makers)- none received any updates, despite asking every visit to update my car. Sure, they will tells you "all looking good", you are "up to date", but nothing ever gets done. I just loaded to my 2009 Camry the AT rough gear shift update from 2009 in 2019 and yesterday loaded 2003 Accord with update from 2011 and it was way behind on any updates, despite countless air bag saga visits. Both updates were ongoing issues(not big, but annoying) on my cars, but I had no idea there is a fix for it.

So, if you want an update - you have to do it yourself or have a friend working at the steeler-ship to make it happen.

The only instance of ECU update proof - was Toyota after sudden acceleration re-call was performed on my car, as I did not do it for very long time, I finally brought my car to do it (5 or 10 years late) and sure enough they loaded ECU update for this specific recall, but they ignored AT update (it was just an extra mouse click). But all folks who went to do this recall earlier - only have pedal shaved and not the most critical ECU update that would override accelerator pedal input when breaks are engaged. ECU update released years later was the real fix, not shaving the pedal joke most folks got.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts