Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 209 Posts
Yeah, mine will work great for an entire day and then will be intermittent every few minutes for a week on end... Everyone keeps saying it's a cable issue.. I have verified it is not. I'm just hesitant to swap the part and then have the issue again in a couple months. Keep us posted!

FYI, everyone I fixed this issue by just disconnecting the USB harness (both connectors) and applying a tiny bit of noalox conductive grease to the pins (you could try without the grease). Have not had the issue since. I assume it was a bad connection because it would drop out when using the heater in the car and the thermal expansion or heat cycling caused the bad connection. Also tapping the center console could cause it to drop out.

FYI, everyone I fixed this issue by just disconnecting the USB harness (both connectors) and applying a tiny bit of noalox conductive grease to the pins (you could try without the grease). Have not had the issue since. I assume it was a bad connection because it would drop out when using the heater in the car and the thermal expansion or heat cycling caused the bad connection. Also tapping the center console could cause it to drop out.
That's interesting. It worked best for me when the temperature was moderate and now that I am using the heat, I am having the issue more often again like I did in the summer. I'll give that a try tomorrow since the part won't arrive until next week. I can give it a week long test to see how this goes and then decide what I want to do with the part.

You might want to look at the GV60 equivalent harness as they moved to USB-C entirely.
I don't have my HI5 yet but have ordered and received USC-C replacement outlets. They are an exact fit for the USB-A outlets that come with the car. I looked at a You Tube video on how to change these. It appears simple except for one thing. The outlets come with four wires connected and is replaced by only two wires. I asked but was not really satisfied with the answer. What are the other two wires for if they are not reconnected to the new outlets? There is a link on the video where these can be ordered.

I bought some noalox from Home Depot yesterday morning and it took me about 30 minutes to disconnect everything, apply some noalox to the two plugs and put it back together. The only issue I had was that I had to figure out that the clip to press to remove the blue plug is on the driver side. Once I figured that out and pushed on that it came right out. I am happy to report that I have gone on two drives since doing this with each being 30 to 60 minutes and I have not had the issue. Thanks for this tip. I will leave it like this for now and see how it goes. So far it seems like a loose connection or just some expanding and contracting was causing my issue but time will tell.

Once again I want to thank Hodog16 for this excellent write up/guide. I finally took my harness off today and your instructions were right on. I had the intent to try Noalox paste first on the connections and report back on results but after taking the harness off, I don't see the benefit of using the paste. The only connection it could potentially improve is the power one and I don't believe that's the issue. I thing it is a defect with the USB-A micro board (picture attached)

I have purchase the OEM hardness and will replace it. I will report back in a couple of weeks if issue is resolved

Hodog16, any connection issues since your replacement?

Thanks again

Font Machine Circuit component Engineering Office equipment
Font Rectangle Electronic instrument Electronic device Machine

I am still good with just the Noalox. I put it on on November 24 and have driven the Ioniq quite a bit since then and have not had it drop once. I am not sure why it works either but my results are pretty undeniable so far. It hasn't worked for this long since the first two weeks I had the car. I bought the harness but they said I could bring it back if I don't open it which I plan on doing. It is possible that there are multiple issues going on here too so some people might need to replace the harness.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Once again I want to thank Hodog16 for this excellent write up/guide. I finally took my harness off today and your instructions were right on. I had the intent to try Noalox paste first on the connections and report back on results but after taking the harness off, I don't see the benefit of using the paste. The only connection it could potentially improve is the power one and I don't believe that's the issue. I thing it is a defect with the USB-A micro board (picture attached)

I have purchase the OEM hardness and will replace it. I will report back in a couple of weeks if issue is resolved

Hodog16, any connection issues since your replacement?

Thanks again

View attachment 46889 View attachment 46890
Glad to help! So far so good with daily driving. Working great.

Noalox seems to be optimized for aluminum, but it probably does not matter that much. I think any dielectric grease (e.g. search Amazon) would help if there is a corrosion problem (oxidation). I routinely use Dow Corning 4, but it might not be readily available, or available in a small tube. It feels like these greases are "conductive", but they are actually insulators. The main purpose is to block moist air from oxidizing the metal of the contacts of the connectors. If you get into a situation where a connector problem is solved by dielectric grease, it really does feel a bit like magic.

Yeah, mine will work great for an entire day and then will be intermittent every few minutes for a week on end... Everyone keeps saying it's a cable issue.. I have verified it is not. I'm just hesitant to swap the part and then have the issue again in a couple months. Keep us posted!
Same here. Did it get better for a few months after the firmware updates?

Seeking the wisdom of the forum, after waiting a week for my part (USB hardness), I just received notification from dealer the Hyundai cancelled the order. I call them...they had no reason/explanation, just 'order was cancelled by Hyundai'
I have the old hardness out and ready to put a new one in

Any thoughts on how I can get this part other than randomly calling dealers...?

Discussion starter · #35 ·
When I ordered mine it did not sound like it was a hard part to get. I would call a random dealer (like Lakeland where I ordered mine) and ask the parts person how many are in inventory—they will tell you if it’s backordered now which may be the only explanation why they would cancel it.

I think the world is forcing me to try the Noalox experiment. I will give this a shot. It is painful to reach the top blue connection but I still have everything out of the way.
Jsbowl16 - If I don't see the connectivity issues resolved within a week, I will PM you to see if you still have the part and we can work something out
Thank you both

I think the world is forcing me to try the Noalox experiment. I will give this a shot. It is painful to reach the top blue connection but I still have everything out of the way.
Jsbowl16 - If I don't see the connectivity issues resolved within a week, I will PM you to see if you still have the part and we can work something out
Thank you both
Just as a tip, I just put a layer of the Noalox on the female end of the connectors before I plugged them in. I couldn't reach the male ends with my fingers to put on the Noalox.

FYI, I fixed the same issue on EV6. I didn't have to replace anything. All I had to do was push the blue connector up and make it tighter... you may hear a "click" sound. It fixed it, its been a week and no disconnect so far, compare to every 20-30 mins or so. It just took 5 mins.

Bearicus, thank you for the added tip. My blue connection was very well seated when I disconnected it

I'm glad to report that after adding Noalox and reconnecting the old hardness, I have had not disconnects over the past week. If it continues this way, I will put all back together this weekend.
I have also received an email from the dealer that cancelled my previous order for the hardness. They got the part and wanted me to re-placed order, which of course I won't since it seems all is well. But just to clarify that the part shouldn't be difficult to get if necessary

Again, thank you to all for providing relevant input to solve this issue. This is what makes these forums so useful

21 - 40 of 209 Posts