Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in London, turned right across traffic went to put wheel up the curb so as to get the rear out of the other traffic and popped a tyre

3 one inch tears in the side wall of the tyre :(

the side walls seem very thin and soft

one thing I can tell you, is you can only just get the scissor jack under the sill with a flat tyre, you would never get a trolley jack under in these circumstances

and with a flat tyre the scissor jack is hard to use as the wheel nut brace is the handle to turn the screw and there is only just enough room to turn it

handling is different and the car pulls slightly to the side with the spare on under braking

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
looking round on the web, looks like the cost of the tyre will be £57-£65 a corner

that is a pleasant surprise, I was expecting closer to £100 / corner

will go see dealer in morning, see how much from them, as if I have damaged the tyre pressure sensor they should be able to fix it at same time, don't mind paying a little extra for dealer service but not too much

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ouch.... At least it happened when you were barely moving! I remember getting a blowout when I hit a particularly big rock in the fast lane of a dual carriage way.

Also, it's good to know the Ioniq's scissor jack can get under there in a worst case scenario... The Volkswagens definately wont... You have to use the scissor in the middle of the sill (which damages it) then put the dead wheel under the front of the sill while you work on it.

At least it was just a tyre. When I read the title I thought it may have been a bump...

Let us know how you get on. Will the TPM need resetting or something now? (I've never owned a car with a TPMS)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry about your mishap, bluecar1.

This is all the more reason to run, not walk, away from cars that come with "repair" kits rather than spare tires. I understand the weight and space savings and all that (although I suspect the real reason many manufacturers no longer include spare tires is because they make more profit by leaving them out), but to my mind the lack of a spare tire is a serious safety and security issue.

Where I live in the Southwestern U.S. desert, you can be in for a long, lonely and possibly dangerous wait beside the road if you have a flat that a can of sealant won't fix.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Sorry to hear this! I am surprised this happens so easily.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TPMS is the reason I will go to the dealer in a minute, not sure exactly what is needed to reset etc, I think so longas the sensor in the wheel isn't damage it will reset itself, if the sensor is damaged and needs replacing I think it needs coding to car

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
total cost £68.50 for new tyre

they are "Michelin energy saver +" 195/65/15 H 91 if others need the spec on std 15" wheels
I'd checked that before I bought the Ioniq . My Kadjar tyres were £220 a corner !!!!! . I could change four corners on the Ioniq for that . I've seen the economy tyres for about £30 for the Ioniq , but at £68 I'll stay premium ;)
I've also wounded mine ...scuffed a rear wheel trim ...not too bad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts