Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm just curious, after 1 year of driving my Ioniq EV (28KW model), if you would choose this car again?
For me it's a lease car and I can choose a new car in about 3 years from now...
If I look at the cars now, I'd still go for the older 28KW model and I would never accept the newer range... first I don't like the new 'grille' but most annoyingly for me, would be the slower charging...

When I had to choose last year, I needed my car ASAP, as our son was a couple of months old and the babyseat didn't fit the old car properly; we had the same issue in the e-Golf and Kona EV (I use the ISOFIX base, with a leg support)... Me and my girlfriend are a bit taller then most (I think) as the Ioniq and the eNiro were the only cars where we could both sit comfortably... the eNiro had only one downside for me... the delivery would take >12 months.

Do I regret choosing the Ioniq? No, I don't...
I think it's the most comfortable car I've ever driven... not the most fun car (that was my old 1991 Mazda MX5).
Also on long drives, I arrive rested on holiday, as I am forced to take breaks on my journey (last year, The Netherlands to Italy, via Germany and Switzerland and back the same route).
In my old petrol car, I would start in the morning and 8 hours later, when I need to refuel I would get out of the car... being exhausted... Now I charge my car when it's around 40% (planning the route with ABRP), stretch my legs, take a break... yes it takes longer, but it's more relaxed overall!

What would I choose, if I could today...
Probably the eNiro... I've looked at the Tesla Model 3 (Standard Range), that most of my colleagues drive, but... the design... from the front it looks like a Model S that has crashed and was repaired badly... (although I love the feeling of the acceleration!)

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I couldn't do the 28kWh model as I need the range to commute to work. I like the ltd 38kWh model interior and overall driving. If price wasn't an issue, I'd prefer Model Y, but with all the rebates/incentives, I like my choice to go with 38kWh model while I wait for a few years for Tesla to update their cars with better batteries, new tech, and new designs.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,116 Posts
I love my HEV and would definitely choose it again. We've considered getting a second one. Unfortunately, we don't have the means to plug a car in anywhere so a PHEV or EV isn't ideal for us yet. I wish it was.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had my concerns at first. A 100 mile winter and 130 mile summer range. Living in an area where the closest fast charger is 100 miles away. We have found that the 28KW fits our needs perfectly. It is comfortable, styled just right, roomy, great in the snow, quiet, powerful, true to range and I enjoy every moment I am in it. Would I have paid $32,000 for this bliss? Probably not, but with the $79/Mo lease deal and out the door cost of $2844 for a car for 3 years (everything else covered by a State energy rebate), it was a no brainer. I still plan on buying after the 3rd year for an all in $16,344 for my daughters first car. My wife loves driving it too. I have sold her Chrysler 300 as it has collected dust since getting the Ioniq. The Ioniq fits everything we do and we use it 90% of the time. 7500 trouble free smiles so far. No complaints at all. When the 38 KW units have a $79 deal, I will be first in line. If they called with a 28KW deal again for the same $, I may do that as well. We too drove a Model 3 a few months ago and I did not like it, as well as my son. What you get for $50K is not worth it. No offense, but the Bolt styling does not excite me, the leaf is similar. The Ioniq is just right and is still the efficiency king, in my book.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am very happy with our base trim HEV. We drive long distances at a time so BEV or even PHEV don't make sense for us. My only "regret", and it's a minor one, is I probably should have opted for the next trim up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I did. Had a 28 for two years; traded up to a 38.
The "slow" charging isn't the huge issue that some make it out to be. Yes - to get it close to full it takes longer. But as I have explained before
a) if you use a 38 in the same way as you did your 28 (i.e. only ever run it between virtually empty and ~130 miles = ~75% SOC on the 38) then the actual charging speed (from close to zero up to ~130 miles) at a 50kW unit is not materially different; yes, it's somewhat slower for a small part of the cycle if you use a 100kW or more charger.
So - no great disadvantage (or advantage) there.....BUT
b) it's quicker (range per hour) at AC chargers that can supply >7.2 kW - up from 6.6kW max in the 28.
c) if you do have the patience the 38 will charge up to full on a DC charger; the 28 cuts out at 93% SOC; the 38 continues at a reduced rate falling to ~7kW right the way up to 100%.
d) if you have charged it (say) at home or elsewhere where you aren't in a hurry and taken it up to 100%, then you start out with 200+ miles (summer) / ~170+ miles (winter) before you need to stop.
In other words, on a really long trip in your new 38
  • you can go ~50 miles (another hour's driving, say) further before your first stop is necessary
  • you can from that point onwards, cover the same long distance with stops at the same frequency and pretty much the same duration as in a 28 if you quit charging at ~75% SOC each time.
  • and, if any of your stops involve (say) a longer meal or recreation/shopping break you can leave it to reach 100% and then go an extra 50 miles before your next stop is needed.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I couldn't do the 28kWh model as I need the range to commute to work. I like the ltd 38kWh model interior and overall driving. If price wasn't an issue, I'd prefer Model Y, but with all the rebates/incentives, I like my choice to go with 38kWh model while I wait for a few years for Tesla to update their cars with better batteries, new tech, and new designs.
And especially build quality!

·
Registered
172 Posts
We got our 28kWh fully aware of the coming facelift. Because of it I think we got a good deal on the fully loaded democar and have been more than happy driving our classic Ioniq everywhere. The range has been sufficient and fast chargers do the rest. If the facelift wasn't 6000 euros more expensive (even more with winter tyres and such) we would have waited for it. Depreciation is hard to predict and we intend to keep our car for many years so the difference should flatten out between the classic model and facelift model.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would choose the 28kWh again (after 3yrs/104k km). I use it in winter to drive to the ski area 1000 km away.
I might also try the eNiro 64 kWh, but I'm too cheap too spend that much money

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 2017 Electric and I love it. Were I to go back in time, I would absolutely lease the same vehicle. The car for the price with the unlimited lease deal could not be beat.
Now, that being said. I will soon be leaving the Ioniq owner ranks. My lease is over in July and even if I wanted to keep the car, we have no need to be a 2 car family and the Ioniq is not big enough to seat 5.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,116 Posts
"Ioniq not big enough to seat 5"?

we fit 5 adults in comfortably and it is sold as a 5 seater (unlike the prius which is a 4 seater)
Whether or not the Ioniq seats 5 comfortably depends a lot on how wide and tall the 3 people in the back are. Taller people find the headroom to be a bit lacking sometimes. I certainly would not want to be in the back of the Ioniq for a long trip, especially in the middle.

The Prius seats 5 too. The Prius Prime (The PHEV) used to only seat 4 but I believe they fixed that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Your commute is over 100 miles?

·
Registered
565 Posts
"Ioniq not big enough to seat 5"?

we fit 5 adults in comfortably and it is sold as a 5 seater (unlike the prius which is a 4 seater)
They've had it for three years and love it. If they feel that it doesn't fit their family of five, they would be the best ones to know it and I believe them. Other people's mileage will vary.

·
Registered
150 Posts
70 miles each way, every day, sounds like a killer. That’s got to be 3 hours wasted everyday? I suppose here in Europe commutes are on average shorter...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like my 2020 a lot. Only other one I wanted was the Niro-ev but I couldnt guarantee getting all the rebates so we settled on this. Once I get my A/C fixed it'll be a great car.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If I had to do it all over again I would definitely get my Ioniq again. I am very happy with it after two years. Its a quiet, smooth, comfortable ride, very efficient, well designed, looks great, good value, etc, etc. So if I could go back in time two years i would definitely get my phev again.
If I had to buy a car today, I would have to think about going pure EV. I still don't think the local infrastructure is EV friendly. But now that I have a garage and can charge year round I think I could manage. The EV range has improved and on the rare occasions when I actually need to drive beyond range I can always take my wife's car.
But I plan to keep my car for another 10 years, so I'm sure the choices will be drastically different then. Hopefully Hyundai is still leading the way with EVs, and maybe Honda could catch up a little, and the rest could start mass producing efficient cars and trucks.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes, definitely. Will upgrade to 38kWh version, however must paint the front grill into black or some other colour, can't stand the bright silver grill.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts