Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too bad there was no mention of the winter tires used since that's a major player into how these will handle in winter driving conditions, although there are other things at play.

To anyone that was driving around this winter, what winter tires were you running?

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
No winter tires

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hankook winter tyres were mounted when I bought the car.
I cannot compare to anything, because this was the first time I had winter tyres. I regret the purchase, we had only 3 days of minor snow here in the west of The Netherlands.
I want to change to summer tires next week.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I used winter tyres on my E-class (Nokian WR A4) and they made a world of difference over the winter.
The car felt much more secure and being a rear wheel drive, helped enormously with grip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And even that one single morning with a little snow-cover in a curve could be enough for a little but expensive oops-Moment. Just happened to some French guy with a fairly new A-class up here in the Black Forest some weeks ago.
Also wintertires deliver better grip when a wet road freezes in the night. So my wintertires stay on the car at least until April.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Exclusive variant I intend to buy has 17" wheels. For winter I intend to use wheels on 15". Can I?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The Exclusive variant I intend to buy has 17" wheels. For winter I intend to use wheels on 15". Can I?
Theoretically yes, as the rolling radius of the 15" with its larger sidewall tyres is very close to that of the 17" and low profile tyres, but you should check with your dealer to make sure there aren't specific software adjustments that need to be made for speedo accuracy, ABS response or general `systemology`.

Probably not, but you should be certain.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The Ioniq can be equipped with both 15 and 17 inch rims and appropriate fitting tyres. The width of the tyre should be the same as the standard 15 inch. Personally I dont like 17 inch wheels although they look impressive. They affect fuel efficiency , suspension and driving characteristics of the car. Find them too expensive for what they offer, just as wintertyres. For the 3~4 days/ year of snow in Holland they are a rather burden as investment. Adapt your driving to weather circumstances is a cheaper alternative.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
The winter conditions in the UK are definitely not as severe as they were , at least in the southern part . In extreme circumstances , as Rene says , adapt to the conditions . If the roads ( especially the mountain ones ) are too dangerous , I just don't drive . I get a bit fed up of the pseudo off road SUV warriors getting stuck in 2mm of snow :) . I'll probably invest in cross climate on my first tyre change .

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The grip characteristics of the standard 15" tyres seems entirely adequate for the style of the car and manner of driving, but one can encounter grip limits on fast transitions. Low-resistance means less grip, so it's a compromise for economy. They can squeal a bit, especially in the cold, but that might be a function of the torque of the electric motor and the vehicle electronics.

I'm with Chunga, there will be better-optimised aftermarket solutions for specific needs but bear in mind it might affect economy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts