Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New Ioniq limited owner as of 6 days ago! I know these cars are pretty new but i'm sure a number of you have had experience with winter driving in them. I have seen posts in other locations about people being really surprised about how well the car does in the winter. Here in the midwest one of my big concerns is the ride height and messing things up with high snow but along side that, what do people recommend for winter tires?

On my Jeep I was running Blizzak and I absolutely loved those. My wifes Prius used Michelin X-Ice Xi3 for the past two years and she said there were no issues. I was just curious what Ioniq owners have experienced and if there's a recommended tire that will have a nice long life, be safe, cost effective and not destroy MPG. (I expect MPG to drop in the winter regardless)

Thanks in advance everyone

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I use the Michelin X-Ice and I have had no issues at all. I think those are a great tire. I have only run through one winter but I did have to go up some pretty steep hills and I had no issues at all. Ground clearance only matters if you plan on driving in deep snow. Obviously these cars are not ideal for that but as long as you stick to plowed roads, you'll be fine. Even unplowed roads aren't a huge issue as long as there's not more than a couple of inches of snow on them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have and love the Blizzaks and was much surprised at how much quieter than the stock all-season Michelin's they were. I got a slight mpg decrease during the winter, but that was due mostly to heating the vehicle as opposed to tire drag.
~

·
Registered
56 Posts
jdbrassell

I'm also a pretty new Ioniq owner (just coming up on 2 months and 2000 miles...). I have a PHEV Limited, and thought that it worth pointing out that I just tested some 15" rims (standard are 16's) this weekend. I put one on front and back, and was able to rotate the wheels smoothly with no interference or noise.

Which version did you get?

ChrisP

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
jdbrassell

I'm also a pretty new Ioniq owner (just coming up on 2 months and 2000 miles...). I have a PHEV Limited, and thought that it worth pointing out that I just tested some 15" rims (standard are 16's) this weekend. I put one on front and back, and was able to rotate the wheels smoothly with no interference or noise.

Which version did you get?

ChrisP
If you are buying a new set of wheels for winter, I'd stick to 16". Not because they're better but because if, in the future, you want to go to the all electric version, you won't be able to use a 15" wheel. I personally bought a 15" wheel and sort of regret it for that reason. I don't plan on going full EV in the near future but I do plan on it some day and I'll have to repurchase winter wheels and tires when I do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used the Michelin X-Ice 3's this past winter they were good. I do lose some range which is expected as they're softer (stickier) than all seasons but less. I don't know for sure how much less I was getting due to the use of heaters and the battery thermo management. The performance was very good in fresh snow, slush and rain. The only time I drove over ice was in slower environments like side streets or parking lots and it does slip but the car's traction control kicked in and helped. I am in a large city though so we don't get snowfall like more remote areas. I haven't been in a situation where the x-ice3 got me stranded or made me feel nervous. I do drive more conservative in the winter and leave extra space for stopping. I've tried Uniroyal Tiger Paws on a previous car and the difference with the x-ice3 (or maybe any big brand name) was huge. I use x-ice3's on both my vehicles.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Canadian version is easy, you don't have to worry about TPMS sensors. just go with the exact same wheels as the stocks and you're good. I've driven on Michelin X-Ice xi3 the whole last winter on un-plowed road and driving while it was snowing with no issue at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In past vehicles I have used Goodyear WRT and Michelin X-Ice. The michelins were a better tire... quieter and seemingly better snow/ice performance.

I am going with hakkapeliitta r3s for the ioniq this year, but I have no prior experience with them. Heard good things though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Canadian version is easy, you don't have to worry about TPMS sensors. just go with the exact same wheels as the stocks and you're good. I've driven on Michelin X-Ice xi3 the whole last winter on un-plowed road and driving while it was snowing with no issue at all.

Why don't Canadians have to worry about TPMS sensors?

Also, I'm thinking of buying these but I'm not sure if the wheels for the 2018 Elantra are compatible with the Ioniq. Tire size is good. Anyone have any info on this? https://www.4tires.ca/kits/view/id/364862/vehicle/HYUNDAI ELANTRA 2018

·
Registered
56 Posts
Regarding TPMS sensors...

That’s why I said Canadian doesn’t have to worry. I wish mine doesn’t have them.
Does anyone know if there is a tire deflation monitoring system on the Canadian Ioniq PHEV's?

I never understood the point of TPMS, when with 4 wheel ABS, the car knows the relative speed of the wheels to each other and to the transmission... it's easy enough to figure out if a tire is going flat. My 2001 Pontiac Alero had that feature!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Regarding TPMS sensors...

Does anyone know if there is a tire deflation monitoring system on the Canadian Ioniq PHEV's?

I never understood the point of TPMS, when with 4 wheel ABS, the car knows the relative speed of the wheels to each other and to the transmission... it's easy enough to figure out if a tire is going flat. My 2001 Pontiac Alero had that feature!
I had this feature in Skoda Superb, got it now in Sandero - TPMS using ABS sensors. It was a disaster. You could do 20-30 miles before you got message popping out on your dash. It was only a nuisance rather then useful feature. Proper sensors are the only way to get relatively correct pressure reading and relatively quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, I am going to put the winter tires on my ioniq phev and it is my understanding that the 15 inch ones are just fine for the PHEV? Can somebody confirm ? Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
My tire shop (kal tire) said that only 16s would fit on the PHEV because of the back brakes. Don't know if that was 100% accurate or not, but I just went with 16s again for the winter wheels.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi there, I am going to put the winter tires on my ioniq phev and it is my understanding that the 15 inch ones are just fine for the PHEV? Can somebody confirm ? Thanks!
What is your original tires? Are you looking to get a new set of wheels or just a new set of tires?

·
Registered
561 Posts
What is your original tires? Are you looking to get a new set of wheels or just a new set of tires? And where are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is your original tires? Are you looking to get a new set of wheels or just a new set of tires? And where are you?
I am in Ontario, Canada. Originals are 16”. I have 195/65R 15 tires from previous car, need to buy the rims now. PHEV doesn’t seem to have oversized calipers, as it doesn’t have the electric parking brakes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
20 Participants
PDM
Hyundai IONIQ Forum
A community of Hyundai Ioniq enthusiasts discussing the electric acceleration & reliability of the Hyundai ioniq hybrid.
Full Forum Listing