Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me crazy, but I think it's safe to put my summer tires back on my Ioniq EV. I used to do this myself (I have all the tools), but I haven't done on my Ioniq. The problem is I don't know where it's safe to jack up the car. Since it didn't come with a spare tire or jack, the owners manual doesn't give me any indication on where I can put a jack.

Where is the safest place to raise the car and put safety stands?

Thanks!

Jean

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,026 Posts
The HEV repair manual can be found posted online, and shows this:

It looks like the frame rails have the standard two little notches pressed into them to indicate the points where the (once upon a time) standard issue screw jack can be placed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My usual routine is to raise the front/rear of the car, then lower it onto safety stands (on the jack points above) so that I can do both front or rear tires at the same time. Is there a safe place under the car that I can use to raise the entire front or rear?

Thanks.

Jean

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My usual routine is to raise the front/rear of the car, then lower it onto safety stands (on the jack points above) so that I can do both front or rear tires at the same time. Is there a safe place under the car that I can use to raise the entire front or rear?

Thanks.

Jean
To answer my own question, no, it doesn't look like there is a good spot. Most of the underbody is covered (to reduce drag, no doubt). The points shown in the manual are actually recessed. Nothing I have will fit in there, so it's off to the tire store after all.

Oh well...

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV 38kWh
1 Posts
Hi.
I shifted to summer tires some week ago.
I found some good spots for lifting, though it was for only one wheel at the time.
I used the following:
Front: where the engine frame is attached to the chassis. There is a bolt there where I put the trolley jack.
Rear: the only place I could find there was on/under the spring seat of the rear axel, not centered but a bit rearwards.
Hope you find this useful, and good luck with shifting your wheels.
/Magnus

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi.
I shifted to summer tires some week ago.
I found some good spots for lifting, though it was for only one wheel at the time.
I used the following:
Front: where the engine frame is attached to the chassis. There is a bolt there where I put the trolley jack.
Rear: the only place I could find there was on/under the spring seat of the rear axel, not centered but a bit rearwards.
Hope you find this useful, and good luck with shifting your wheels.
/Magnus
Thanks, I’ll take a look.

jean

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq PHEV Limited
40 Posts
Call me crazy, but I think it's safe to put my summer tires back on my Ioniq EV. I used to do this myself (I have all the tools), but I haven't done on my Ioniq. The problem is I don't know where it's safe to jack up the car. Since it didn't come with a spare tire or jack, the owners manual doesn't give me any indication on where I can put a jack.

Thanks!

Jean
I too looked under the car for a suitable jacking point to place jack stands but nothing obvious I saw. On other cars I've done there usually is a spot under the front and rear cross members, some were even listed in the owner's manual like on Lexus'. In the Ioniq there was nothing obvious that I saw, plus as you mentioned the front is almost entirely covered. So I ended up just jacking up the front and placing a single jack stand in the rear when I rotated the tires. Not the safest thing to do, but for added safety I removed the rear tire first, placed it behind the jack, then proceeded to remove the front wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It must be different between 2019 & 2020. If I put the jack there, it looks like it would crush the sill on my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts