Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the Ionic electric 2020. 38 kWh.

WINTER MODE
actually do .?
And is it posible too see any change of the battery temperatur. When its turn on , or off.?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would really like to know too. I've been watching my energy usage and none of it has gone to "battery care" which is what I assume the winter mode would count as.

Reactions: pathfinder

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I think the 2020 model Ioniq EV only uses the liquid system to warm up the battery pack. And it is too little energy to make a good temperature in the battery pack when the car is driving and use zero electricity, to warm up the battery pack.

Because for using electricity to warm up the battery when the car is driving the car must have a "bigger" battery (more kWh), the 38 kWh battery pack is too little kWh and the battery will early go empty.

But in Hyundai/ Kia cars that have the 64 kWh battery pack, the battery has much more kWh, so these cars have a dedicated electric heater 2 kW.
And this system turns on automatically when the car is driving if the temperature outside is 0 c degrees or colder.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Its also likely here in the UK that the actual temperature has not dropped far enough to actually kick in the winter mode. So far in North East Essex we have hardly had a day where the temp has dropped much below 5 degrees and a lot of the time it has been hovering at 8-10 degrees which is pretty mild for winter months.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
248 Posts
I would really like to know too. I've been watching my energy usage and none of it has gone to "battery care" which is what I assume the winter mode would count as.
I believe battery care is for when it tops up the 12v system, not really sure why it shows as mine has never had any reading. Maybe if you put the car in utility mode and use some 12v electrics it will register something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is important too turn on the battry saver.But it is Only for the 12v battery..

The winter mood i think is for the 38 kWh battery, and it have nearly 400 v.
It is something mystic, what the winter mode .
Actually is doing.In the ioniq electric EV.38 kWh.
2020 model.
Is there anybody who knows ?.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here is a link to Kona forum regarding winter mode. Here in the UK it may not activate very often because it talks about heating the battery when temps are -10
Edit. Link added, sorry @pathfinder

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The link did not came up.
It is intresting if the battery mode ,system ,that start too heating the battery ,on - 10.. Is for the 38 kWh Kona.

The bigger 64 kWh battry in Kona .Have another system .If it is a Kona whit ,cold pack.system.
Like they have in Canada.
In the Kona with 64 kWh battery .( cold pack ).
An dedicated heater ,2kw.
Start too heating the battery alredy from 0 c.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It could be utilized only during charging. In the classic ioniq, the battery heater is used only when plugged in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have switched it off. Nothing in manual to say when to use of what temperature. Think it is mostly for DC charging in low temperatures.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
I did more research.
When the winter mode is turned on, the battery heater is warming up the battery in cold weather when driving.
But the temperature outside must be -5C or colder and, also, the battery soc must be 33% or lower.

In the south of Norway, the winters in Norway have very little days that are that cold.

So many Ioniq owners in Norway have the same thing with very slow DC "fast" charging for the Ioniq with the 38 kWh battery.
And the battery cells must have the temperature for +15, before it starts charging with nearly 50 kW on a fast DC charger.
So I Hope for faster charging when the spring comes and the temperatures outside are more than +15C.

·
Super Moderator
1,673 Posts
And the battery cells must have the temperature for +15, before it starts charging with nearly 50 kW on a fast DC charger.
So I Hope for faster charging when the spring comes and the temperatures outside are more than +15C.
Are you sure about +15C? In the German forum, they found +25C.

Reactions: PetteriSeppänen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited by Moderator)
From a 50 kW charger and battery temp +15C, max charging power is 40kW. That is why I wrote nearly 50kW.
But when the battery temperature becomes +25C, max charging power is 50kW.
So what the German forum says is more precise.

And when the temperature is < +1C, the max charging power is 18 kW.
The winter mode system is a good thing to use if the next charge is from a 50kW charger or more.
But it starts to warm the battery if it is -5C or colder, and the battery soc also must become less than 33%.
And if driving a while after 33% soc, the charging on a 50 kW DC charger will go a little bit more quickly.
And when it is very cold, I think -21C or more, the winter mode will take care of the battery and start warming the battery

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
47 Posts
I realize this is a very old thread, but with winter coming soon I was wondering if anyone had any more information about "Winter Mode" in a 2020 Ioniq EV.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts