Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my PHEV Ioniq at the end of October, in eastern Quebec. This is not the best time to enjoy electric driving. So I wanted to tell you guys how I did survive to this (warmer than usual but still cold) winter.

First, I think that the AC unit, while being automatic and nice for an economy car, is not well suited to a PHEV vehicle. This system should be able to allow using vent without air conditioning while using front defrost. This would prevent using ICE for nothing. Since I wanted to do most of my city driving on electricity, I had to see how to use defrost without using the petrol engine. I discovered that you can use defrost with LOW temperature setting when outside temperature is higher than -13 celcius. But the cabin become very chilly. You have make the most of your heated seats and steering wheel... which are very efficient.

The range doesn't suffer too much with cold weather. I had no problem doing my routine on electricity, as long I didn't use heating.

When the windshield was too frosty inside, I had to warm the car using ICE. But the Bluelink doesn't let the car started for more than 5 minutes, not enough to clear the winshield.

So, I got my car at the end of October, and I still have the third of my first tank of fuel left. I've never put my own money adding gas, even if I did a 200 km highway loop during this winter. I've made close to 3000 km on 2/3 of tank! And my car dashboard is showing a fuel consumption of 1,0 l/100 km. (This is the positive side of pandemic, you can go nowhere, so you don't add much km on your car...)

BUT my navigation module is not working correctly, so the check engine pops up since day one and it's still not repaired 5 months later. And the electric recharge door is one of the poorest engineered system ever built for using in snow and ice. I do not want to close it as long as we'll see snow over here.

That's it for my story!

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,026 Posts
And the electric recharge door is one of the poorest engineered system ever built for using in snow and ice. I do not want to close it as long as we'll see snow over here
When its all dried out spray some silicone lube on the push-push mechanism and work it in, then spray some more on a paper towel and wipe down the rubber seals with it. Should help.

I just let my Ioniq phev burn the gas in the winter. It extends the 'EV' range since it puts 2 to 2.5 kW back into the battery through the hybrid starter generator while running, and then it's also partially warmed up and ready if called to assist with any extra torque demand. It keeps me all warmed up and ready too.

That said, I do admire your dedication to keeping yours from burning the stuff!

Reactions: bluioniq

·
Registered
2020 PHEV Phantom Black Preferred
51 Posts
I'm in the greater Montreal and got my Plug-in November 1st...

I got an Eco-Dome when ordering my 220V Flo charger (not a photo of mine):

I was unsure of using it first but finally got used to it during winter...

I confirm that the locking mecanism of this charge port door isn't robust.

Reactions: bluioniq

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought my PHEV Ioniq at the end of October, in eastern Quebec. This is not the best time to enjoy electric driving. So I wanted to tell you guys how I did survive to this (warmer than usual but still cold) winter.

First, I think that the AC unit, while being automatic and nice for an economy car, is not well suited to a PHEV vehicle. This system should be able to allow using vent without air conditioning while using front defrost. This would prevent using ICE for nothing. Since I wanted to do most of my city driving on electricity, I had to see how to use defrost without using the petrol engine. I discovered that you can use defrost with LOW temperature setting when outside temperature is higher than -13 celcius. But the cabin become very chilly. You have make the most of your heated seats and steering wheel... which are very efficient.

The range doesn't suffer too much with cold weather. I had no problem doing my routine on electricity, as long I didn't use heating.

When the windshield was too frosty inside, I had to warm the car using ICE. But the Bluelink doesn't let the car started for more than 5 minutes, not enough to clear the windshield.

So, I got my car at the end of October, and I still have the third of my first tank of fuel left. I've never put my own money adding gas, even if I did a 200 km highway loop during this winter. I've made close to 3000 km on 2/3 of tank! And my car dashboard is showing a fuel consumption of 1,0 l/100 km. (This is the positive side of pandemic, you can go nowhere, so you don't add much km on your car...)

BUT my navigation module is not working correctly, so the check engine pops up since day one and it's still not repaired 5 months later. And the electric recharge door is one of the poorest engineered system ever built for using in snow and ice. I do not want to close it as long as we'll see snow over here.

That's it for my story!
"When the windshield was too frosty inside, I had to warm the car using ICE. But the Bluelink doesn't let the car started for more than 5 minutes, not enough to clear the windshield."
In Northern Ontario I have been running a small space heater inside the car on low, just enough to stop the frost from forming on the inside surfaces of the glass.
Isn't it great to be able to get your best fuel consumption inside the city?
🐧

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
159 Posts
Can't you preheat the car while the cable is plugged in, thus not using the EV battery but your house/work energy supply instead to warm it up and clean the windshield?

·
Registered
2020 PHEV Phantom Black Preferred
51 Posts
Yeah... The most negative point of the PHEV... I have a 220V / 40Amp charger installed but it only help charge the main battery faster (2.5hrs instead of 7.5hrs when plugged in 120Vac outlet).

I had hope for this level 2 charger but will be mostly usefull when i'll have a 100% EV...

Reactions: bluioniq and KevinT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not being able to preheat the car while charging the battery is the biggest mistake with Ioniq.
I have cabin heater but still if there is -20C outside you need to start AC and heating. Cabin gets cold quite quickly.
So I usually drive in the S mode to warm the engine faster and when motor temperature is around 50C I am switching back to D mode. Then "smart" Ioniq takes care of keeping the cabin warm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"When the windshield was too frosty inside, I had to warm the car using ICE. But the Bluelink doesn't let the car started for more than 5 minutes, not enough to clear the windshield."
In Northern Ontario I have been running a small space heater inside the car on low, just enough to stop the frost from forming on the inside surfaces of the glass.
Isn't it great to be able to get your best fuel consumption inside the city?
🐧
what kind of heater?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use this heater: Car Heater Portable Fan Cooler Defroster Defogger Automobile Plug Space 12V 150W
Very little heat but enough to keep the windshield from fogging up. I haven't tried it for defrosting or deicing, as I keep the car in the garage.
Cost is $10 U.S.
You can plug two in. 1 in each 12v powerport

·
Registered
193 Posts
what kind of heater?
My first one was a Chinese made Clarion brand 750/1500w variable heat and fan speed. The 1500w setting was far too hot, perhaps dangerously so until the early morning temperatures dipped to -30*C!
I just needed to replace the two pin plug on it but the replacement that I had only drew 750 watts and that was plenty once we were past February.
Thanks for asking. 🙂
🐧

1 - 12 of 12 Posts