Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy an IONIQ vehicle in the coming weeks but I am living in a very cold place where it is frequent to have nights at -40 celsius . Can anybody share problems encountered and solutions if there are .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Get a vehicle with as big a battery as you can afford, that way the range won't be such a problem when the (possible) heat pump doesn't help in extremely cold temperatures.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What I forgot to mention is that if you only need a EV to drive to town and back for 20 miles per day, then the Ioniq will work just fine. I assumed the need is for a "do it all" vehicle to take long trips and travel for some distance even in the cold of winter.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The only real problem with the BEV is range reduction in extreme cold weather. Range may reduce to 120km (from 200 km) in such conditions. Other problems include moisture in the charge port freezing which can then interfere with inserting the charge plug. (This can be easily countered by keeping the port dry). The IONIQ doesn't have the best clearance so deeper snow is an issue, but that's not a BEV problem, as any similar ICE vehicle will have the same issue.

If you don't have access to L2 charging, L1 charging in extreme cold weather is in effectual, as the power required to warm the battery to accept the charge is about the same as what the charger will deliver. This is not an issue if you use a L2 charger.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That’s real cold. -40C is -40f. The Hyundai literature states something about -31 F or so and that the battery heater in the Ioniq may not work.
"The high voltage battery warmer
system operates when the charging
connector is connected to
the vehicle.
However, the high voltage
warmer system may not operate
when battery temperature drops
below -31°F (-35°C)."

To me that may be a red flag. I do not know if an EV in that cold of a climate is wise. It will need to be plugged into power during times not driven. But I do realize they are in Norway, Sweden etc. The heat pump would not help at all and draw more than resistance heat at those temps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Best thing is to warm the car up connected to charger as heater can use over 3.5kw until car is warm.Like all ev you use lot more in winter due to heater.Blue link allows you to defrost from you phone.Make shore you cover charging flap in frost and snow.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes, the Charge port cover is essential in a winter climate. It was only $40 from a Canadian Ebay supplier and it works great! That is one of the flaws of the Ioniq. The charge door/Port and Snow/Ice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is there an EV that does it better though ? Teslas, Renault Zoe, Nissan leaf at least all have the same issue.
My Leaf (flap opening upwards) was better than my C-Zero (flap sideways) in protecting the port from snow. But if it drifts then the Leaf port is lower so more likely to be affected in those circumstances.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am planning to buy an IONIQ vehicle in the coming weeks but I am living in a very cold place where it is frequent to have nights at -40 celsius . Can anybody share problems encountered and solutions if there are .
Does it have to be an EV?

I'd consider a PHEV or Hybrid to save my a$$ in those cold temperatures and avoid range anxiety. Heat then comes from your ICE not your battery. What distances do you plan to cover?

There are many PHEV owners in very cold climates too. @bluioniq in Sudbury, Ontario, being one. Some even set up 120 Volt portable heater to keep the cabin warm overnight and limit condensation for the next days drive.

Search a bit more and of course others will contribute as well.

Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only real problem with the BEV is range reduction in extreme cold weather. Range may reduce to 120km (from 200 km) in such conditions. Other problems include moisture in the charge port freezing which can then interfere with inserting the charge plug. (This can be easily countered by keeping the port dry). The IONIQ doesn't have the best clearance so deeper snow is an issue, but that's not a BEV problem, as any similar ICE vehicle will have the same issue.

If you don't have access to L2 charging, L1 charging in extreme cold weather is in effectual, as the power required to warm the battery to accept the charge is about the same as what the charger will deliver. This is not an issue if you use a L2 charger.
I’m on the south shore of Montreal and I have seen ~-30c with my 2019 Ioniq ev and confirm that range can drop to 100-120 km depending on conditions (heat pump set on driver only at 23c). Range drop and low ground clearance are also my two issues. That said, ev in winter are great: almost instant heat from the heat pump, it always start in a microsecond and it stays clean under the hood thanks to the aeroshield underneath the car. Low centre of gravity and high mass well balanced means that the car feels well planted on icy roads (with proper winter tires, of course). I am very satisfied with how my Ioniq ev handles the winter, but for sure one day I will get myself a Tesla model 3 or Y $$$ for the added range and AWD. For the price, the Ioniq ev is awesome I think and it’s been 100% reliable so far ~20 000 kms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it's going to be your only car, then I agree, a PHEV is likely the better choice. I also have access to a Kia Niro HEV so when it's really cold and need range, the ioniq stays in the garage. Otherwise, for my daily commute to work (60kms round trip), the ioniq does the job even in the coldest days. I much prefer driving the ioniq over the Niro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, the Charge port cover is essential in a winter climate. It was only $40 from a Canadian Ebay supplier and it works great! That is one of the flaws of the Ioniq. The charge door/Port and Snow/Ice.
Thanks have ordered one today as have had problems with snow in UK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts