Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did something stupid, tried to wash bird poo off my windscreen before setting out for a drive. It was very hot, the water I used was cold ... Crack!

Straight down the middle top to bottom.

£360 all in from a local business, I stupidly didn't add windscreen cover to my insurance policy the one time I didn't add it and when I needed it haha. Will see how it goes in 3 days time when the replacement happens, glass looks quite thin to be honest!

The black line going across is just an overhead telephone line being reflected in the glass.

I have since also removed the bird poo, I took the photo as soon as the crack happened.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
537 Posts
Does the ‘local business’ have all the proper kit to recalibrate your camera for LKAS etc?

When mine went, I had to take it to an Autoglass centre as the calibration boards are too big to fit in a Transit van!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the ‘local business’ have all the proper kit to recalibrate your camera for LKAS etc?

When mine went, I had to take it to an Autoglass centre as the calibration boards are too big to fit in a Transit van!
I asked about that, he said on the phone that it only needs recalibration if the sensors and cameras have been unplugged from their harness. He says leaving them connected but dangling will be fine, and that it's a huge con that the big glass companies and such charge for recalibration after a windscreen replacement. Will see I guess?!

·
Registered
HEV SE Premium 2017
384 Posts
I asked about that, he said on the phone that it only needs recalibration if the sensors and cameras have been unplugged from their harness. He says leaving them connected but dangling will be fine, and that it's a huge con that the big glass companies and such charge for recalibration after a windscreen replacement. Will see I guess?!
Now that I'd believe if it wasn't for the fact Auto Windscreens never charged me more than my £75 excess last month.
Although, they could of course charge the insurance company for the recalibration.
Strangly enough the same company did try to charge me £250 2 years ago on my previous ioniq so I told them to swivel on that and not bother recalibration.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq blue HEV
239 Posts
its interesting how brits say windscreen versus windshield. when typically in the definition of a '' screen'' it allows wind to pass through, like a screen door. while shields block something

·
Registered
537 Posts
its interesting how brits say windscreen versus windshield. when typically in the definition of a '' screen'' it allows wind to pass through, like a screen door. while shields block something
Don’t forget, the screens that you refer to here do not exist in this country. But that’s a discussion elsewhere.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
226 Posts
But it's a fun red-herring diversion to follow! I'd say Windscreen is accurate. After all, at borders we screen for illegal immigrants (or try to!), and divert them. The rest gets through. So the Windscreen screens for wind, diverts that, and lets the light through. We use a Windshield when picnicing on the beach, it's a few posts with canvas sheet acting as a temporary wall. But that also shields the light!

Perhaps all cars in US are now self-driving and totally blacked-out??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq blue HEV
239 Posts
Don’t forget, the screens that you refer to here do not exist in this country. But that’s a discussion elsewhere.
You guys don’t even have window screens for when you open a window? How do you keep the bugs out if you want fresh air?

·
Registered
537 Posts
We don't. For most of the UK, for most of the year, it's not an issue and the the vast majority of UK windows open outwards anyway.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,122 Posts
Our windows open outwards but we still have screens, they're just on the inside. (And yes, a spider or a fly does occasionally get trapped between the window and the screen; typically our cats alert us to this and then we let the bug out.)

Reactions: chunga68

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Job done, has to set for 2 hours before I can drive it.

I tested the climate control and defrost doesn't turn on which is a good sign! Glass is NordGlass, will see how it performs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MDave, thanks for posting. I just moved to Florida where it does get quite hot. I would have done the same thing without your warning, as I had no idea that the windshield was so brittle temperature wise. I thought it would have withstood such treatment. Thanks to your posting, we readers won't have to learn the answer to that one the hard way. Your timely caveat is most welcome indeed. Sorry for your troubles. I'm ever so pleased that this unfortunate condition is now favorably resolved.

·
Registered
2020 PHEV Phantom Black Preferred
72 Posts
Had 4 windscreen/windsheild changed over the last 4 years on my KIA Sorento and defunct Nissan Versa Note...
Over 30 years of driving cars, these are the only time i had to change them... THINKING that they are now "programmed obsolescence"....

Will take care to not make a big temp difference between the outside and inside of my Ioniq... (less heat in the winter and less cold in the summer)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went for a drive, here is the verdict after a 4.5 mile journey to the shops:

Rain sensor works perfectly. It just so happened to rain midway through the journey!

Light sensor for headlights works, covered it up with a tissue and it turned them on.

Lane keeping assist works, but I think it wants to hug the left line more then before. This needs more testing.

Demist sensor would turn on 10 seconds into driving and moving away. It stayed on quite a while. On a journey back it still came on, but towards the middle of the journey back it finally turned off. I suspect it is sensing the fumes from the adhesive that was used, will test this out more over the next few days.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,122 Posts
MDave, thanks for posting. I just moved to Florida where it does get quite hot. I would have done the same thing without your warning, as I had no idea that the windshield was so brittle temperature wise.
You might get away with it in Florida, your tap cold water isn't really all that cold. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Auto defog/demist is still turning on, but not as often. There isn't anything to defog though, so puzzling why it still turns on. It's hot and humid at the moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts