Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Window Trim Vinyl Peeling

20K views 98 replies 40 participants last post by  Neil F 
#1 ·
Anyone had this happen to them looks like heat damage

Hood Window Automotive mirror Vehicle Steering part

See less See more
#38 ·
My dealer can't even order the replacement part without booking the car in and leaving it with them for a day, so that they can connect it to their diagnostic system. Apparently it's a requirement before they can put in a warranty claim with Hyundai sigh

At least they can invesigate the hyper-sensitive anti-theft alarm at the same time, I suppose.

#39 ·
Update (and it's not good) - so my trim started peeling on one window (rear passenger), and now I've noticed it starting to go on two other doors too!
If you look closely you'll see it seems to start with a very small patch of silverish metal being exposed, and then over time it gets worse and worse.
5 months into ownership, this is worrying - yes it's been hotter than normal but that's no excuse!

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Window

Automotive side-view mirror Sky Water Vehicle Motor vehicle

#44 ·
5 year warranty, why are people "worried"? It's more annoying than a worry. It will be covered under warranty, but annoying to book a time and drive there. I have the vinyl peeling on one of my doors as well (picked up december). Hopefully the replacement trim does not have this issue, otherwise they'll just replace it again.

#46 ·
I'm worried because honestly, it's a royal PITA to take my car to/from the nearest Hyundai dealership to me - so far it's had to go in for the recall s/w upgrade, soon it'll be the 5000mi tyre rotation service, then the first round of window peel repairs and then given how much black trim is on this car, I doubt that will be the last time

#53 ·
Another one here.
Hood Light Blue Automotive tire Sky

Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
Took it to my hyundai dealer today and hoping they will be replacing the panel under warranty. The car is booked in for the work, so assuming it’s going ahead. Under warranty. Had the car inspected by a technician at the dealership who didn’t seem particularly surprised to see it.

#57 ·
I just noticed it on my Shioting star limited trim. I’ve had it since February 22 and have 6400 miles driven. I only noticed the vinyl peeling after I took my car through a automatic car wash 3 times in the last 3 weeks, so am wondering if the car wash mechism could be causing issues. Any of you with vinyl peeling also use auto car washes? Noticed some fogging on the headlights as well. Wondering if I should have just stopped being lazy and washed the car myself by hand….

#58 ·
I have the same issue and have hand washed only... I actually noticed first while giving the car a wash, I'm pretty certain its due to how the wrap is done and heat expansion of the underlying metal/softening of the wrap in heat. Seems like a ton of UK folks started posting about it once the heat wave hit there which makes sense.... > 100 F most days here in Tx as well so not surprised I have the issue.

#59 ·
Wow this is brutal and I don't understand how a long time car manufacturer could think plastic as thin as a shopping bag would hold up out doors... That part should have been bonded plastic, not thin plastic wrapped.

Sigh, at the end of the day it's still the same Hyundai you've seen on the road and gone wow that car just fell apart!

#60 ·
I posted a few weeks back about my car having the same issues. Definitely not a deal breaker but it is an annoyance for several reasons.

1. Our cars are new so many dealerships don't have techs or service reps that are experienced with our cars (the service dept didn't know what V2L is, which mine has a loose connection)
2. Not all Hyundai dealers are Ioniq 5 certified so I've had trouble locating a local dealer who can even work on Ioniq 5s
3. Once you find a dealer who can work on the car, there's a pretty long wait (about 1-2 months in some cases)
4. They can't guarantee a loaner vehicle or they said they would be setting me up with an Enterprise loaner. My limited was a $56k vehicle which is in the range of luxury car brand pricing. BMW, Audi etc would not be putting us in base model rental cars from Enterprise (which I think would be likely the case with the Hyundai dealership) though at the end of the day loaner is better than no loaner vehicle at all.
5. Also I have to take off from work to make it in time for the scheduled appointment. Once for the drop off and again for the pickup. The Genesis GV60 advanced is only $2k more than the limited Ioniq 5 and they provide valet for service where they'll come pickup your car and bring it back. I also have that for my Volvo and they leave a loaner for me when they pick up my car from my house.

So that's why I would say it's not a BIG deal but it is troublesome.

#64 ·
Yes I agree, to name a few I had a 1 yr old Q8 Audi a £80,000 car sitting in traffic down the coast 30 degrees the car over heated No air con Audi had it in for 6 weeks to fix it,Another brand new x type Jaguar required new gearbox, 1 yr old Audi A6 same reverse gear vanished, Brand new Fiat Ducato van new Gearbox. What im saying is it can happen to any brand at any time.. This Hyundai is my 1st ever brand buy and 1st electric car yes it has a few gremlins but I love it for what it is as long as the Dealership deals with any issues and DONT try and fob me off with any bull s… things will be fine.

#65 ·
I may be a bit late joining this thread but I had this problem exactly as multiple photos on forum show - driver side rear top surround. Initially got warranty claim rejected because service manager in dealer thought there were some damage marks around the offending "Tear" but couldn't explain by what miracle over 12 other ioniq5 owners worldwide had documented the same issue - so I pressed and sent forum photo links . Car completely repaired now under full warranty. Amusingly the clincher was getting the Service Manager outside to view their own demonstrator ioniq5 - which had exactly the same fault developing ... they had no answer to that. Worth pursuing or what ?

#66 ·
I finally got mine repaired under warranty after waiting a few months for backordered parts. The local dealer replaced the upper trim on both rear doors. I also got the driver's side door panel replaced for a defect in the recycled paper portion of the trim. Glad to have this fixed, it was starting to look pretty shitty.

#77 ·
Just out of curiosity, what happened to your "recycled paper portion"? I'm asking, because I have this.
Aaaand I also have this vinyl trim peeling, and my dealer is claiming it's my fault, mechanical damage. Starting to get really angry.
Short rant: have the car for 6 months, already had over 10 warranty issues. From tiny bits like this, to dead A/C for three hottest months of the year. I really was not expecting this when switching from old non-reliable gas guzzler.
Car Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

#69 ·
Mine is 72kw AWD in shiny black metallic so gloss black surrounds and all examples on forum look to be gloss black too, On close inspection of the fault there didn't seem to be adhesive of any kind on the surface.My sense is that the black vinyl wrap was stretched over the surface and was kept taught by capping at each end. No expert but that would explain the rippling when it splits, tears,melts, punctures or whatever triggers the failure - think puncturing cling film .....

#73 ·
I've just had a delivery of a MY22 73kW Ultimate Tech and love driving the car and playing with the tech! After driving the car home (only 1 /12 days ago!) I have noticed almost exactly the same image as the first one in this thread! There are also a few vertical marks on the "tape" on each of the windows. I've posted a couple of examples but they are on each window area. It looks like a poor quality process to me.

I've raised with the dealer and pointed him at this thread. Will let you know how it goes.

Also, can someone tell me if they think the interior recycled plastic door trim looks right? (I'll post photo tomorrow) It looks kind of scratched (it isn't) or marked, but I don't remember seeing this in the Ultimate that I test drove. Maybe it's just supposed to look a bit random...

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror

Wood Rectangle Fixture Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive mirror Motor vehicle