Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I hope everyone is having a great day.

I have a quick question for iPhone users that create a personal hotspot and use this for wifi for the car.

Even though my phone is showing 4G and full signal strength AND the car is connected, the live services are intermittent.

Also, my car doesn't seem to want to connect automatically to the hotspot. I need to turn the hotspot off and on again to get it to join.

There also seems some confusion for it when the phone is plugged in and apple play is running.

Lastly. Bluetooth calls are really difficult to hear in the car.

I have the latest software as it was installed last week.

Experiences, advice is most welcome and no fruit related phone bashing. It works lovely. Haha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use an iPhone too - it's all working fine for me though so I can't help much apart from confirm that the car won't automatically reconnect to the hotspot each time you start the car until you "allow it" again on the phone. Just go to the Personal Hotspot settings on the phone and the car will then reconnect. Note that you don't have to turn the hotspot off and on again; just going to the personal hotspot settings is enough.

I believe it's an Apple thing, presumably to stop possible unwanted reconnections to your hotspot. At the inconvenience of also stopping the reconnections you DO want... I really wish Apple would at least give me the choice of whether I want it to work like this or not.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Mine does the same for connecting. So I can cross that one off the list. Can you confirm you connect your phone to car play simultaneously?

Quiet Bluetooth calls and connection to wifi dropping next off.

·
Registered
254 Posts
On the Android platform there is an app called "Hyundai Access Point" which enables you to automatically reconnect as long as your bluetooth is switched on. Didn't find a similar app for iOS (my work phone is an iPhone). Maybe ask Hyundai to develop one?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can you confirm you connect your phone to car play simultaneously?
No I don't use normally CarPlay - can't be bothered plugging the phone in every time I get in the car ;)

I did try it yesterday evening though to see if I had the same symptoms as you, but the wifi didn't drop or anything like that and live services all seemed fine. The unit did reboot itself a few times though as I was switching between CarPlay and the map for example... it's never done that before and the only difference to my normal usage is that the phone was plugged in and CarPlay was active. So maybe CarPlay does have some impact... but not on live services, for me at least.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I don't use normally CarPlay - can't be bothered plugging the phone in every time I get in the car ;)

I did try it yesterday evening though to see if I had the same symptoms as you, but the wifi didn't drop or anything like that and live services all seemed fine. The unit did reboot itself a few times though as I was switching between CarPlay and the map for example... it's never done that before and the only difference to my normal usage is that the phone was plugged in and CarPlay was active. So maybe CarPlay does have some impact... but not on live services, for me at least.
Hi, thanks for the reply. Someone else put a thread up about the same issues as I was having, you were lucky enough to not get affected by the live services issues that a few of us got hit by yesterday.

I find Bluetooth calls very quiet and I have to turn them right up to hear. Car play calls are much louder for me. Weirdly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
When on Bluetooth make sure the volume is turned up on the phone. Don't know about the Ioniq yet but in my golf the volume control on the phones plays a role in how loud Bluetooth audio is.

Also you may not have seen it, but hauwei make a USB wifi dongle. I have got one and a 3 prepaid SIM card with 24gb of data for 24 months at a cost of 20 for sim and 40-50 for the dongle.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When on Bluetooth make sure the volume is turned up on the phone. Don't know about the Ioniq yet but in my golf the volume control on the phones plays a role in how loud Bluetooth audio is.

Also you may not have seen it, but hauwei make a USB wifi dongle. I have got one and a 3 prepaid SIM card with 24gb of data for 24 months at a cost of 20 for sim and 40-50 for the dongle.
Hi. Good thinking on the mobile volume! I haven't tried it yet and will do. I have 20gb a month data on my phone and want to try and keep it using that. However. Yes. I will consider the dongle if I get fed up of reconnecting all the time. That sounds like a great deal from three mobile too. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can confirm that in the Tucson the volume of the phone is connected to what the head unit puts out too! I really like the Tucson. Already done 70 miles in it. The Ioniq will be a better fit for my life though I know. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
"The Ioniq will be a better fit for my life though I know. :)"
You know it makes sense ;)

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I use a gadget to power my iPhone in my car that also uses a line level output to a DIN compact disc changer socket in the back of my radio (circa 2001 solution I'm still using). This bypasses the audio amplifier in the iPhone, so volume is strictly controlled by the radio.

If you use a mini plug to connect your device to a car radio, now you have to fiddle with both the device and radio volume knobs to get optimal sound quality without distortion. You have also added both devices distortion levels together - not a big deal in a car, you would never be able to tell. I would tend to doubt Bluetooth would work this way, but it might depend on how the phone manufacturer set up the hardware.

While I have never used Bluetooth for audio, I have read many reviews of Bluetooth home speakers and headphones, and most mention reduced audio quality because of the limitations of Bluetooth (same issues with Bluetooth adaptors in cars). That seems to be getting better these days, but unexpected disconnections and difficult synching still mean I avoid using that tech. But I have an even better reason, if I am going to be streaming music and using the phone's nav system, I need to be plugged in anyway so I don't run the battery down. So I plug in every time. I can see the advantage of using Bluetooth for short trips as long as synching is automatic and less hassle than just plugging in. I will experiment in my new Ioniq/Niro (when I get one).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts