Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a number of folks reference Wifi in the Ioniq and the dealer commented on it too. Others have mentioned enabling hot-spot on their phone so the Ioniq has a wifi connection away from the home. What is the Ioniq pulling through a Wifi connection? What features do you get while driving vs just having Wifi when in the garage?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Here in the USA it seems the way the Nav gets live traffic is a paid subscription to XMSirius satellite for traffic. Can we get live traffic in the USA through a Wifi connection and another data source other than XMSirius?

·
Registered
90 Posts
If the car has Apple Play and Android Auto (my SEL does), it should be able to use Google Maps / Apple maps to get live traffic for free. I haven't tried it yet but plan to.

I don't know why anyone would use XM live traffic over the Google Maps / Waze options.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been debating that question for a while. Yes, traffic through Android Auto will work fine as that is just part of the Google Maps interface. The one advantage I can see to using the built in nav is that it displays on the TFT in front of the driver as well. Beyond that, I question why I even want the built in nav, but have no choice because they bundle it into the package if you want the rest of the tech stuff :( I figured I'd see what the Hyundai solution is like when I get the car. It comes with 3 months of XM as a trial, so I'll see if there really are any advantages. Else it is Google Maps for me.

What else would the Ioniq use Wifi for? Seems a funky thought to have it on a car in motion. The Bluelink goes through satellite. What else would they pull through Wifi then?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts