Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2002, the US implemented 49 CFR § 571.401 - Standard No. 401; Interior trunk release requirement to keep children and adults from being locked in a trunk from which they cannot escape. Specifically if the trunk “Is large enough so that the three-year-old child dummy described in Subpart C of Part 572 can be placed inside the trunk compartment, and the trunk lid can be closed and latched” there must be a method “for providing a trunk release mechanism that makes it possible for a person trapped inside the trunk compartment of a passenger car to escape from the compartment.

This requirement resulted in Ford having to place dividers in the Mach E Frunk to reduce the size. They are now adding a release so the dividers will be removed in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Didn't realize this, slight bummer... but the only thing I would probably store there is the charger cable, and it fits, so it works.

But I don't feel like even the "big" size here would qualify, no way is a three year old fitting in the "big" Frunk, unless you break their limbs and fold them neatly :)

The big Ioniq 5 frunk is 2 cubic feet, the Mach-e is 29 -- which is why the mach-e needed the dividers.

I guess if someone from the US really wants it, there's probably a part they could source somewhere.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only in America :D
Sorry but just seems silly to have to make laws like this to prevent people from being stupid.

Edit: doing stupid things.
Unfortunately it was little children that were getting the trunk and dying from heat exposure. I recall 11 in one year. Kids like to play hide and seak, etc.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
So no good for transporting a body then ... My IONIQ on the other hand...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts