Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wired is OK but if you provide wireless charging it only makes sense to have a wireless connection. And why would you not put at least one (connected) USB port in the center console where you want to place your phone? Having a cable traveling across the floor up into the console is inconvenient and does not look great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wired is OK but if you provide wireless charging it only makes sense to have a wireless connection. And why would you not put at least one (connected) USB port in the center console where you want to place your phone? Having a cable traveling across the floor up into the console is inconvenient and does not look great.
An owner on another forum mentioned he went to a shop that installs after market rear view cameras and had them install a USB DATA port in place of one of the center console's USB POWER ports. They ran the extension wiring under the carpeting dead center between the two seats to the new data port location. Now he connects his iPhone with a short cable while it sits in the wireless charging pad. No photos of the work, but he said it was impossible to notice the extension under the carpet, especially because that is where the two front floor mats almost touch each other which hides the small bulge of the cable underneath.

·
Registered
121 Posts
And many would argue that the "Korean twins" are better than the Teslas as well. I've heard of chronic fit and finish and quality issues with Tesla, but reviews for the "twins" give a big thumbs up on these aspects. Living in the Bay Area near the Tesla plant, I see and hear of a lot of problems with cars coming out of Tesla's plant. My neighbor across the street has had his 2021 model Y in for problems at least five times now. They are always taken care of under warrantee, but his hassle of dealing with repairs for five times in less than a year is a show stopper for even considering a Tesla. I would never consider such an unreliable car.

And besides, I don't believe in joining a cult.
I wouldn't consider Tesla a cult anymore, they just delivered 310K vehicles this last quarter. Giga Texas and Giga Berlin just opened with manufacturing innovations like giga castings, metallurgy, 4680 battery cells, and robotics. Only the Chinese EV companies like BYD will be able to keep pace with Tesla going forward. I owned a 2018 M3 Dual Motor and had no issues over 24k miles. Friends and family have had no issues as well. 2022-23 is going to be massive scaling of their manufacturing.
I agree, watch out for the wired and USB A lovers they are quite happy with Hyundai’s choices. Coming from an ID 4 (all models) it’s definitely 2 steps backwards.

·
Registered
waiting for Ioniq 5 to come in
57 Posts
An owner on another forum mentioned he went to a shop that installs after market rear view cameras and had them install a USB DATA port in place of one of the center console's USB POWER ports. They ran the extension wiring under the carpeting dead center between the two seats to the new data port location. Now he connects his iPhone with a short cable while it sits in the wireless charging pad. No photos of the work, but he said it was impossible to notice the extension under the carpet, especially because that is where the two front floor mats almost touch each other which hides the small bulge of the cable underneath.
I saw a video of a guy that bought an adapter for the usb plug... I will look for the video of it and post it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think this thread interesting. When I did my research in the months between paying the refundable deposit and being able to pick up the car I quickly found out that wireless CarPlay wasn’t supported and that this is not a Ioniq 5 “thing” it’s a “large screen” issue which has been around for quite a while

I also found out that wireless CarPlay in general, if offered through OEM or via additional dongles is typically laggy and less reliable and came to the conclusion that maybe being forced to plug in is the better of two evils.

Anyway some data on this
  • It’s been a limitation on Hyundai and Kia cars for years. All there top models with larger screens don’t support wireless
  • Many posts point to “license” restrictions but that doesnt seem to be backed up by anything that I was able to find
  • Polestar cars also don’t have wireless CarPlay support and seemingly also don’t work with the plethora of wireless dongles which at least work on the Ioniq
  • BMW seems to be the only car that I can find that does wireless CarPlay on large screens (but they also charge for the pleasure I believe)

Overall though I agree this would be a nice to have thing it doesn’t seem that the Ioniq is the odd one out here, it seems to be very rare to find wireless CarPlay in large screen format in the auto industry in general

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think this thread interesting. When I did my research in the months between paying the refundable deposit and being able to pick up the car I quickly found out that wireless CarPlay wasn’t supported and that this is not a Ioniq 5 “thing” it’s a “large screen” issue which has been around for quite a while

I also found out that wireless CarPlay in general, if offered through OEM or via additional dongles is typically laggy and less reliable and came to the conclusion that maybe being forced to plug in is the better of two evils.

Anyway some data on this
  • It’s been a limitation on Hyundai and Kia cars for years. All there top models with larger screens don’t support wireless
  • Many posts point to “license” restrictions but that doesnt seem to be backed up by anything that I was able to find
  • Polestar cars also don’t have wireless CarPlay support and seemingly also don’t work with the plethora of wireless dongles which at least work on the Ioniq
  • BMW seems to be the only car that I can find that does wireless CarPlay on large screens (but they also charge for the pleasure I believe)

Overall though I agree this would be a nice to have thing it doesn’t seem that the Ioniq is the odd one out here, it seems to be very rare to find wireless CarPlay in large screen format in the auto industry in general
It has nothing to do with the screen size. If a Hyundai/Kia/Genesis has a navigation system it will not have wireless CarPlay. That’s just company agreements.

Wireless does not make it “laggy” in fact, I haven’t have any problems. Technically, wired is actually slower than wireless as the bandwidth is limited with the USB connector on the iPhone

There are also plenty of large screen wireless cars including those from Ford and GM as well. And BMW does not charge extra for it. At least not in the last few years.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wireless does not make it “laggy” in fact, I haven’t have any problems. Technically, wired is actually slower than wireless as the bandwidth is limited with the USB connector on the iPhone
Please link to any review showing wireless CarPlay having the same responsiveness as wired, all over the internet are folks complaining of lagging on wireless CarPlay. Typically in pausing music or starting it or when taking phone calls (basically anything involving audio).

There are also plenty of large screen wireless cars including those from Ford and GM as well
Could you name some? I tried looking but even things like the Mach-E are not large screen CarPlay, they use like 1/3 of the available screen to display CarPlay. Would love to see some non BMW or equivalent luxury car examples though

·
Registered
44 Posts
Please link to any review showing wireless CarPlay having the same responsiveness as wired, all over the internet are folks complaining of lagging on wireless CarPlay. Typically in pausing music or starting it or when taking phone calls (basically anything involving audio).
It ultimatly depends on the car itself and how it is implemented. Here is a review.
Also remember that wired has a bandwidth limit of 480 Mbps while wireless is over 1,200 Mbps.

Could you name some? I tried looking but even things like the Mach-E are not large screen CarPlay, they use like 1/3 of the available screen to display CarPlay. Would love to see some non BMW or equivalent luxury car examples though
The Mach-E uses the full width of the screen which is like 10" wide and also 10" tall in the vertical mode. That takes up more than half of the vertical screen. Also, not sure what exactly you are looking for in a "large screen" the size of the screen does not matter a single bit. What does matter is the resolution which is mostly going to be the same on most cars. a 720p video stream is still 720p regardless of the size of the display.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
1,128 Posts
It ultimatly depends on the car itself and how it is implemented. Here is a review.
Also remember that wired has a bandwidth limit of 480 Mbps while wireless is over 1,200 Mbps.

The Mach-E uses the full width of the screen which is like 10" wide and also 10" tall in the vertical mode. That takes up more than half of the vertical screen. Also, not sure what exactly you are looking for in a "large screen" the size of the screen does not matter a single bit. What does matter is the resolution which is mostly going to be the same on most cars. a 720p video stream is still 720p regardless of the size of the display.
Yup.

It's like the USB-A ports. look an an ioniq5, look at the competition, if you'd like something less resolved with better features, go for it. At the end of the day carmakers price the cars and bundle the features they can to hit a price point, here Hyundai didn't want to either cut something suprilfious and rad (like the sun shade) and also didn't want to charge too much more (likely pressure from tesla pricing at the time pre massive tesla markups). The IONIQ6 has USB-C, the e-GMP platform is being extended to more models and letting them spread out the cost. I wouldn't be surprised if their next gen infotainment had wireless carplay across the board, OEMs tend to roll it out that way to control component costs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup.

It's like the USB-A ports. look an an ioniq5, look at the competition, if you'd like something less resolved with better features, go for it. At the end of the day carmakers price the cars and bundle the features they can to hit a price point, here Hyundai didn't want to either cut something suprilfious and rad (like the sun shade) and also didn't want to charge too much more (likely pressure from tesla pricing at the time pre massive tesla markups). The IONIQ6 has USB-C, the e-GMP platform is being extended to more models and letting them spread out the cost. I wouldn't be surprised if their next gen infotainment had wireless carplay across the board, OEMs tend to roll it out that way to control component costs.
I doubt it. It does seem like a licensing agreement with their navigation partner. The Genesis GV60 has USB-C, phone key with UWB, the next gen NVIDIA infotainment will full OTA and it still doesn’t support wireless CarPlay even though all the hardware is there.

·
Registered
167 Posts

I'll tell you there's a remarkable improvement in sound quality listening to music with USB/Lightning cable over bluetooth from my iPhone8 in my 2022 I5 Limited USA RWD. Don't ask me to explain slow app responsiveness others have mentioned with wireless -- you'd think the Bluetooth protocol could rapidly handle the input/output demand of driving apps (non media, non gaming) with no lag time. For that matter, you'd think the Bluetooth protocol could handle music streaming beyond what my ears could detect. But for whatever reason, music through the USB/Lightning cable with CarPlay is vastly superior to music through wireless.

Although, that may be an effect from the stereo manufacturer. When I'm in my old pickup with an aftermarket stereo that has bluetooth but not CarPlay, it sounds somewhat better than in the I5 with bluetooth.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
1,128 Posts
I'll tell you there's a remarkable improvement in sound quality listening to music with USB/Lightning cable over bluetooth from my iPhone8 in my 2022 I5 Limited USA RWD. Don't ask me to explain slow app responsiveness others have mentioned with wireless -- you'd think the Bluetooth protocol could rapidly handle the input/output demand of driving apps (non media, non gaming) with no lag time. For that matter, you'd think the Bluetooth protocol could handle music streaming beyond what my ears could detect. But for whatever reason, music through the USB/Lightning cable with CarPlay is vastly superior to music through wireless.

Although, that may be an effect from the stereo manufacturer. When I'm in my old pickup with an aftermarket stereo that has bluetooth but not CarPlay, it sounds somewhat better than in the I5 with bluetooth.
It's all about bandwidth and the amount of bandwidth available to the bluetooth protocol which is massively less than Wi-Fi.

Audio quality still isn't as good as wired on the wireless CarPlay adapters, but everything else is great. Carlinkit is very responsive on the four cars I have it deployed on. (odd, it's not just hyundai that doesn't have wireless carplay :D).

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
The question blows my mind, honestly.

When cars come to market it's an amalgamation of the best a brand can do for the money.

When I look at the USB-A ports and lack of wireless CarPlay I ask myself... would I rather not have the roof shade like a Tesla? Would I rather not have the ventilated seats like a Tesla? Would I rather not have the ability to add a rear parcel cover like a Tesla? Because that's how cars are made and designed. Would I rather have a single USB-A port like the leaf etc.

I can't really think of any of the features that were provided in lieu of wireless CarPlay I'd rather not have - and it's nice the one glaring omission is a) addable, and b) only $100. Vs all the creature comfort's competitors like the Tesla lack.

Since we can't change how it's coming to dealers and this is mostly a getting it off your chest post, is there something you would have had them omit to include it?
Not even the thing that comes on the dash and tells you to pull over and have a cup of coffee or the thing that tells you the car in front is pulling away?

61 - 76 of 76 Posts