Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
1,128 Posts
TLDR: Infotainment units are typically not manufactured by the car company, and can take years to be updated.

This has been the case for a long time. At one point, the Genesis G80 only had Android Auto on the non-upgraded infotainment system.

It is currently unclear if the current head unit has the ability to add the capability with a software update, but it isn't likely.
It's a big reason we skipped the Volvo EVs, ICE version has it, EVs with new google integrated MCU don't, and it's been forthcoming for awhile now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Valid point, USB A and Wired CarPlay should be standard on Hyundai's most expensive vehicle (Nexo doesn't count). I am coming out of an ID 4 and it had USB C and wireless CarPlay on all models. (Note: MagSafe on iPhones need USB C to power otherwise you need to use cigarette lighter and USB C adaptor)
Hyundai doesn't have it all figured out though:
Auto dimming the screens is stupid when it occurs with every underpass. Needing to press the start button when I can just press brake pedal to start. Having a parking brake switch when it can be eliminated. Having a conventional headlight stalk that needs to be twisted manually to turn headlights auto/off and returned manually to its neutral position to stop auto lane change. No hard climate control button. No quick access to seat heaters/heated steering wheel and no automation under certain temperatures or occupancy detection and annoyingly turning off after what seems like only 30 mins. Poor main screen infortainment layout that gets blocked when steering wheel is adjusted to a lower setting. Super tiny side mirrors and lack of a rear wiper are sub optimal. A driver's seat that doesn't go low enough for some driver's over 6 ft. The worst LED headlights I have ever experienced. I-Pedal resetting each time car is put into park. Having to come to a complete stop to shift into drive or reverse is annoying with an electric car with no transmission. Auto wipers, lighted footwells and powered seats (both sides) should be standard in this price range.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Valid point, USB A and Wired CarPlay should be standard on Hyundai's most expensive vehicle (Nexo doesn't count). I am coming out of an ID 4 and it had USB C and wireless CarPlay on all models. (Note: MagSafe on iPhones need USB C to power otherwise you need to use cigarette lighter and USB C adaptor)
Auto dimming the screens is stupid when it occurs with every underpass. Needing to press the start button when I can just press brake pedal to start. Having a parking brake switch when it can be eliminated. Having a conventional headlight stalk that needs to be twisted manually to turn headlights auto/off and returned manually to its neutral position to stop auto lane change. No hard climate control button. No quick access to seat heaters/heated steering wheel and no automation under certain temperatures or occupancy detection and annoyingly turning off after what seems like only 30 mins. Poor main screen infortainment layout that gets blocked when steering wheel is adjusted to a lower setting. Super tiny side mirrors and lack of a rear wiper are sub optimal. A driver's seat that doesn't go low enough for some driver's over 6 ft. The worst LED headlights I have ever experienced. I-Pedal resetting each time car is put into park. Having to come to a complete stop to shift into drive or reverse is annoying with an electric car with no transmission. Auto wipers, lighted footwells and powered seats (both sides) should be standard in this price range.
is this Dave from out of spec reviews?

I agree with all your points above.

Reactions: zamafir

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Your making me feel bad for buying the car! but you are correct but all things dont bother all people

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Your making me feel bad for buying the car! but you are correct but all things dont bother all people
I'd be more bothered if I paid less for a slower ID.4 without cooled seats and that horrid MCU! Each ev has it's set of quirks, it's pretty cool to see where each brand is doing things well and where they're recalling missing it, especially VWAG's approach to EVs so far. I'm really hoping the ID.Buzz shows them learning from the initial ID.4 launch fiasco and comp'd leases aboard, and ID.3 teething issues. Having owned mostly VW's my whole life (R32, Turbo Beetle, eGolf, etc) I'm really hoping they knock it out with the ID.Buzz! Until then there are real, tangible reasons reviewers are heralding the IONIQ5 as the first, real Tesla competition, not the ID.4.

I do admire that turning radius though, I'd gladly get rid of the pizza box for better packing up front to allow for ID.4/honda e crazy turn circles!

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Project 45 in digital teal green
86 Posts
Really is not an issue. Have a cable always connected on front lower usb. Connect phone as you get into car and place in small “bin” in footwell. Charges. Simples. Had my Ioniq 5 since September.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Intrigued as to why all those suggesting so forcibly how poor the Hyundai vs Tesla is, didn't buy a Tesla? If it matters that much by a wireless Carplay dongle for $75!
Let's take this out of the realm of the rhetorical. Can you tell us a bit more about Carplay dongles? I have not bothered to consider them, but perhaps I should. Do they work reliably? Are there multiple brands? Are they easy to use? Particular recommendations?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Korean twins are currently the best of the non Tesla EV’s. Their drivetrains, battery technology, build quality, and charging compete competitively with Tesla. IMHO they need to spin off the Ioniq brand, focus more on software, and quickly get serious about benchmarking Tesla. Tesla is not distracted by producing ICE and continues to refine its EV platforms by removing unnecessary parts developing multi use parts/systems, assembling vehicles quicker with castings/less parts and is collecting massive amounts of data on its EVs due market share and its supercomputer Dojo. Additionally, improvements to manufacturing, vehicle hardware + software, get integrated as developed without waiting for the next model year or redesign.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Valid point, USB A and Wired CarPlay should be standard on Hyundai's most expensive vehicle...
I can kind of understand being disappointed in having to plug in for carplay/android auto--though I wonder how many drivers, if they have yet to experience wireless for the first time, will find it less impressive than they were expecting.

But the USB A versus C thing: why does this attract so much attention? Isn't it just a form factor for the connector? Whether charging or plugging in for mirroring (in a car), does it actually present any advantages or is it just to avoid buying cables that are A on one side and C on the other? To my perhaps luddite sensibilities, this seems akin to criticizing a car for using 19mm lug nuts instead of 21mm.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I can kind of understand being disappointed in having to plug in for carplay/android auto--though I wonder how many drivers, if they have yet to experience wireless for the first time, will find it less impressive than they were expecting.

But the USB A versus C thing: why does this attract so much attention? Isn't it just a form factor for the connector? Whether charging or plugging in for mirroring (in a car), does it actually present any advantages or is it just to avoid buying cables that are A on one side and C on the other? To my perhaps luddite sensibilities, this seems akin to criticizing a car for using 19mm lug nuts instead of 21mm.
Right? Wait until people find out about Teslas with USB ports with nothing behind them to plug into!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd be more bothered if I paid less for a slower ID.4 without cooled seats and that horrid MCU! Each ev has it's set of quirks, it's pretty cool to see where each brand is doing things well and where they're recalling missing it, especially VWAG's approach to EVs so far. I'm really hoping the ID.Buzz shows them learning from the initial ID.4 launch fiasco and comp'd leases aboard, and ID.3 teething issues. Having owned mostly VW's my whole life (R32, Turbo Beetle, eGolf, etc) I'm really hoping they knock it out with the ID.Buzz! Until then there are real, tangible reasons reviewers are heralding the IONIQ5 as the first, real Tesla competition, not the ID.4.

I do admire that turning radius though, I'd gladly get rid of the pizza box for better packing up front to allow for ID.4/honda e crazy turn circles!
Much to like about the ID 4 which benchmarked RAV4/CRV not Model Y. It’s the closest EV to an ICE vehicle. Very easy to use, great ergonomics + driving position, super comfortable, spacious, good visibility (huge side mirrors and standard rear wiper) and great city car due to maneuverability. Drivetrain is not comparable to Hyundai, brakes are horrible, build quality is economy class and it goes around corners like a Buick RoadMaster. VW is known to be a “driver’s car” but the ID brand is bland and boring due to standard drum brakes, overweight design, and drivetrains that are software restricted.

·
Registered
121 Posts
With

USB C Industry standard for most new electronic devices, higher power capacity, smaller design allows for unique locations in vehicle, and higher reliability. Hyundai is clearly pulling from the parts bin and it’s a cost cutting measure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
With

USB C Industry standard for most new electronic devices, higher power capacity, smaller design allows for unique locations in vehicle, and higher reliability. Hyundai is clearly pulling from the parts bin and it’s a cost cutting measure.
Does the higher capacity and smaller design, or even higher bandwidth have a material benefit in the car? I figure whatever cables one uses for the car, stay in the car. $10 at amazon for an A-to-C cable, or $9 for a C-to-C cable, with both providing an identical experience except when plugging them in, after which the car side connector never gets a second thought... am I missing something?

For me personally, I have plenty of A-to-C cables and would be annoyed if I had to buy C-to-C cables because my car lacked A ports.

Edit: something else occurred to me. For that front USB port, where someone might possibly knock the cable either moving around or reaching for something, I much prefer it is an A connector, especially a right-angle one, with its sturdier construction and wider trace width contacts.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts