Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
full story at https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/13/hyundai-ioniq-car-review

The Hyundai Ioniq has its automatic gears on large, crude buttons that look as though they were designed to teach a baby how to spell. It doesn’t seem likely that hitting D will result in a forward movement, but there she goes, smooth and silent, a cheerful blue predator. All that stuff I would normally notice (the exterior, the cabin, the satnav, the driving posture): forget it. This is one woman’s struggle against her hybrid’s battery life, like Leonardo DiCaprio and the bear in The Revenant.

I set off for Oxford, 57 miles, with my 107-mile fully charged battery. Acceleration is great, but nothing on the smugness. Road roar is a bit of an issue, especially when trying to listen to a tense podcast full of deep southerners making racist remarks sotto voce.

Anyway, arrived safely, 50 miles in hand. Messed about doing stuff. Prepared to drive home.

Those charging posts in municipal car parks? You need to be a member of something to use those. Who knew? Thirty-five miles later, I’m hitting the red bars, trying to figure out the Ecotricity pump in a services. A curly nerd shows me how to plug in. I already feel like Blanche DuBois, but the help I get from strangers will run to many man hours by the end of this caper. Three hours 40 minutes to charge, it says. Huh. I’d read the superspeed ones took half an hour; this remains true. It’s just that all the pumps call themselves superspeed, the way adverts from the 30s call themselves modern. How are they to know they’ll be superseded?

A wonderful Hyundai lady finds me an actual superspeed pump 13 miles away, but I have decided to do an hour on the old school pump and drive 57 miles home with 61 miles of charge. The car enjoins me strongly not to do this, but I ignore it. Never ignore your electric car.

It is now 11pm. There is something magical about the return journey, so adrenalised by peril. I’ve never gone so sedately on a motorway with such a glad heart. I reach home so low on power that it’s on a go-slow, indicated with a flashing picture of a turtle. The rest of this is a thank-you note: thanks to the nerd and the Hyundai lady; thanks to the sociologists whose conference I was late for; thanks to the guy in Perivale who heated me a pasty; thanks to the AA man who pushed it to my front door so I could reach the plug; and thanks to Hyundai. This is the biggest adventure I’ve had in years.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't think it make no difference with a gasoline car. The "gas thingy" light is on, it is not a big deal just another light on the dashboard. let keep driving....

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't think it make no difference with a gasoline car. The "gas thingy" light is on, it is not a big deal just another light on the dashboard. let keep driving....
I knew someone years ago, who when she was young, didn't know how to put petrol in the car and in fact one day ran out. She said it was because her dad had done everything for her and her sisters. She therefore ensured her sons weren't as useless as she was growing up. :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Is this journalist Jeremy Clarkson's new girlfriend?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lets face it, it is absolutely ludicrous that charging should take any longer then the 3 minutes it takes to fill up the petrol tank. I mean, as long as charging takes (much, much, much, much, much) longer then petrol filling, electric drive will never be a serious alternative.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lets face it, it is absolutely ludicrous that charging should take any longer then the 3 minutes it takes to fill up the petrol tank. I mean, as long as charging takes (much, much, much, much, much) longer then petrol filling, electric drive will never be a serious alternative.

I think Tesla once showed an option whereby you drive in and a modular plug in battery is replaced in about the same time as filling up a petrol car. That may have just been a concept that never went anywhere though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
It differs much for different subpopulations of drivers. The Tesla driver subpopulation may already live a happy life by now. For me, I am very happy that I never have to visit a petrol station anymore, as I can just charge once in one or two weeks at home. In this way for some populations it already is a serious alternative, and these populations will grow with more extended ranges that will become available.

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I do more biking than driving in a car, keeps me healthy!

(plus for now I don't use my car to go to my work in Amsterdam).

·
Registered
131 Posts
I still don't have my car yet, expecting to get a VIN assigned in a week or so. But already my driving thought process is changing. I reckon that I will have to charge it once every two days based on my normal mileage. And already started identifying malls which have charging stations, so I can plug in my car whilst shopping etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only time an EV driver has to "refill" is during a road trip. Most people can do their day to day driving and then just plug in at night to recharge the battery. They wake up to a full battery every morning. The only time they have to recharge is during road trips. I myself go years at a time without doing a road trip. I can't go a couple of hours on a road trip without having to take a bathroom break or a food break. Just time your recharging for those breaks, and there'll be minimal disruption to the trip. It must be noted however, that I live somewhere where the nearest Level 3 charging station is over 800km away, so road trips are almost impossible, driving a couple of hours then spending several hours at a Sun Country Highway Level 2 charging station is not practical.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts