Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in another country for the last couple of months while my car sits in the Northeastern US.
I was looking forward to being able to remotely start the car every week or so to keep the battery up. That worked for one week. After that, the car stops communicating with bluelink entirely until a person starts the car in person. This is apparently by design.

I don't understand that design and am not sure why they would do that. I am fortunate to have family nearby that can start the car and run it periodically but if I didn't, I suspect I'd come back to a completely dead car, especially with the cold they've been having there while I'm gone. I'd love to continue to be able to get vehicle statuses and start it no matter how long it's been since it's been driven.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Why the need to start the car? PHEVs can go months without firing up the engine. (I get that is not the point of your post). About the worst that might happen is the 12 volt battery is damaged, but lifetime warranty, right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
As a general rule it was always recommended to fire up an ICE every week or so to keep internal engine components lubricated & battery charged. Modern lubricants are much better which largely - but not totally - removes need for this. And there may of course be climate conditions that require special treatment; eg, ICEs in Antarctica & Siberia are frequently never turned off.

If Hyundai won’t let you do it remotely (and you can’t get someone to fire up the ICE every now & then while you’re away), there are 3 things now recommended instead:
. Fully filling fuel tank to minimise build up of moisture
. Attaching charger to 12V battery (not traction battery)
. As fuel only lasts about 3 months before it can start damaging the ICE, add a fuel stabiliser to the fuel tank (I only found out about limited fuel life when I started driving a PHEV 5 years ago. In fact it may be worth starting a thread on fuel life if there isn’t one already)

[For PHEV/BEV it’s recommended to also charge the traction battery to 50%]

·
Registered
2017 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 July '17
1,782 Posts
I am not sure if the 12V battery is covered under the same lifetime warranty that the traction battery is.
Given you have a US model HEV where the 12V is an integrated component of the 240V traction battery, it should be covered as well as it is a self-contained unit.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just starting the car and letting it run for a couple minutes is not going to charge a 12v battery. It may actually take more out of it to start it than you put back into it idling for a few minutes. It takes driving the car for a little while to truly charge the battery.

An example: A friend just made the mistake of believing starting once a month was helpful on his Toyota Highlander that is not getting driven. He put a new battery in about a year ago and has been starting it once a month. Last week he went to do his monthly start and it was dead. Slow depletion of the battery by the few systems staying powered up and the repeated starts without even putting back what he took out with the starts yields a dead battery after a while.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My Chevy has a Satellite phone app that allowed me to remotely start my car but it will only let me do it twice. It will reset once I manually start the car. I have a feeling Hyundai would do similar things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts