Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,406 Posts
May I say, with the "Scarlet Pimpernel" "Well, Sink ME! '' NOW I know why my 2021 IONIQ was doing this today, in the rain, cold and damp driving hours! I too thought "OH Puck"! now what is broken, that will cost more than a politicians house in Marthas Vineyard , to fix????!!!! Might I Proffer a huge thank you to "Electrickery"? Another TIL moment--and again, shows the Value of this Medium of Communication.
My previous fossil car also did this when the front defrost was on, as did many many others. I think the difference with the Ioniq is that the AC light comes on to let you know that the compressor is running, whereas older cars just ran it in the background without the light. Also, on a fossil car, you'd rarely hear the AC compressor because of the engine noise, whereas on a nice silent electric car with an electric compressor, it's very noticeable when the compressor is running while the car's at low speed or stopped. The light comes on to let you know why your car is noisier. :)

(Also, with the auto-defrost feature, it probably comes on more than you'd have been turning it on manually in the past.)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts