Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that when I hit the defogger button, both the AC and heat will turn on at the same time. Sounds counter intuitive to me. Is there a reason for this? Or is this something I can disable somehow?
Plant Vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive design Vehicle audio

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
671 Posts
In 25 years and almost 1 million miles, I have never turned my AC off for exactly that reason. :)

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq EV/ SE in Blue/Black Interior
50 Posts
AC dehumifies the air, helps (a lot) with defogging.
May I say, with the "Scarlet Pimpernel" "Well, Sink ME! '' NOW I know why my 2021 IONIQ was doing this today, in the rain, cold and damp driving hours! I too thought "OH Puck"! now what is broken, that will cost more than a politicians house in Marthas Vineyard , to fix????!!!! Might I Proffer a huge thank you to "Electrickery"? Another TIL moment--and again, shows the Value of this Medium of Communication.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
39 Posts
The correct name is nowadays ACC (for Automatic Climate Control) AC was former simple system with just on/off and you had to control the cooling effect with the fan speed.
In most modern cars, AC(C) is always on , just for dehumidification of the air, not for always cooling it, but I noticed in my 38 that now during winter the light for AC is off and only heat is on, even if defogging function is activated. Just own my car for two months so cant say how it will be on hot summer days.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,406 Posts
May I say, with the "Scarlet Pimpernel" "Well, Sink ME! '' NOW I know why my 2021 IONIQ was doing this today, in the rain, cold and damp driving hours! I too thought "OH Puck"! now what is broken, that will cost more than a politicians house in Marthas Vineyard , to fix????!!!! Might I Proffer a huge thank you to "Electrickery"? Another TIL moment--and again, shows the Value of this Medium of Communication.
My previous fossil car also did this when the front defrost was on, as did many many others. I think the difference with the Ioniq is that the AC light comes on to let you know that the compressor is running, whereas older cars just ran it in the background without the light. Also, on a fossil car, you'd rarely hear the AC compressor because of the engine noise, whereas on a nice silent electric car with an electric compressor, it's very noticeable when the compressor is running while the car's at low speed or stopped. The light comes on to let you know why your car is noisier. :)

(Also, with the auto-defrost feature, it probably comes on more than you'd have been turning it on manually in the past.)

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
215 Posts
It's funny that when stationary you can feel the vibrations from the compressor through the steering wheel almost like it's an engine but more subtle. It can get quite loud running things full blast under the front hood! I think it can sound as one of the loudest EV's especially in regards with road noise. But when it's quiet, it's really quite quiet.

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq EV/ SE in Blue/Black Interior
50 Posts
It's funny that when stationary you can feel the vibrations from the compressor through the steering wheel almost like it's an engine but more subtle. It can get quite loud running things full blast under the front hood! I think it can sound as one of the loudest EV's especially in regards with road noise. But when it's quiet, it's really quite quiet.
In regards to compressor noise; I wonder if an inexpensive sound killing 'blanket' glued under the hood, would soften the sound?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts