Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's four chargers at the Electrify America where I normally go. #1 was in use, #2 and #3 out of order and #4 vacant.

Immediately in front of me, a Mach-e pulls into #3, I pull into #4. Mr. Mach-e realizes his charger his out of order and immediately takes the charger from #4 (where I'm parked) and plugs in.

My first reaction was he took my charger. Tough luck that he pulled into the wrong charger. However, he was first, albeit by only a few seconds.

I'm ok with waiting, no need to get mad. If anything, I've learned patience in my old age. Helps that I'm retired and have nothing better do.

Who should of had first rights to #4?

Registered
You should have had the first rights to #4. You parked at the correct spot.

Now, it would be different if you did not pull in at all, perhaps he could have parked at #3, see that it isn't working and took #4 IF #4 was actually empty if he could just take it and charge without re-parking. Since #3 wasn't working anyways, he wasn't really taking up space someone COULD have used.

In THIS case though, he KNEW you were at the spot yet he still took the charger? He is a class A As5H0l3 IMHO.

Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
I went to charge today, two teslas and 1 IONIQ5 at the charger.

Come to find out a Tesla is using a tesla adapter to connect to the 50 kW pedestal adjacent to the 150 kW charger.

I had to egress into the 'keep clear' white striped pedestrian aisle - I was staying in the car, floof on board.

I kept an eye out in the vent I needed to move in the 18 minutes I was there.

Anywho it helped me realize we really need to start modifying the parking code to allow for more smooth charging and egress and trailering with EV chargers in lots and maybe give buildings some credits for building more European style options as most US parking lot code doesn't take this into account really.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle

After the one to my left... left :D I moved over.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should have had the first rights to #4. You parked at the correct spot.

Now, it would be different if you did not pull in at all, perhaps he could have parked at #3, see that it isn't working and took #4 IF #4 was actually empty if he could just take it and charge without re-parking. Since #3 wasn't working anyways, he wasn't really taking up space someone COULD have used.

In THIS case though, he KNEW you were at the spot yet he still took the charger? He is a class A As5H0l3 IMHO.
I agree with your logic. He wouldn't make eye contact with me; guess he knew he was in the wrong. To add to this, as I finished charging, there were 3 or more cars all jockeying for my spot. Some folks were getting heated. I bet in the future there will be reports of "charge rage" as more and more people buy EV cars and the lack of available charging spots.

Registered
Probably easier to change physical layout of charging stations than human behavior. Charging configurations that require backing into slots in busy, narrow-lane parking lots are not optimal, nor are unstandardized location of charging ports on EVs. lack of weather protection, and heavy, unwieldy connector cables. The EA station near me has no waiting area for the 3 slots/6 stations. I would go there in "off peak" times. I'm happy it's there, but its layout is poor. Even though I see tons of Teslas on the street, I've never seen one charging (probably they're going to the Tesla charging stations.)
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited Lucid Blue/Gray
For this scenario, the other person was the a-hole. I've read somewhere that even if the person has the car plugged in, if you take the other plug on that charger and plug it into your car, it'll stop the charging session of the other plug and start yours.

The only time I got upset is when most of the stations were filled up and I was able to get one spot. As I got out, I saw a chevy bolt take one of the 350 kwh spot. I had google to see if I missed something about bolts, but nope, as far as I'm aware, they can't take advantage of the 350 kwh chargers. In the end, I finish my 10 to 80 charging and left before every car that was there before me lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For this scenario, the other person was the a-hole. I've read somewhere that even if the person has the car plugged in, if you take the other plug on that charger and plug it into your car, it'll stop the charging session of the other plug and start yours.
I didn't know that. Mr. Mach-e went into Walmart while his car charged. I should have done what you said. He was in there for around 30 minutes. I would have finished charging and left before he got back. Unless he checked his app regularly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts