Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve booked a test drive next week but the real reason is to speak to them about prep of a matt car, they haven’t had a matt colour before and I want to make sure move isn’t the first they screw up.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
611 Posts
I’ve booked a test drive next week but the real reason is to speak to them about prep of a matt car, they haven’t had a matt colour before and I want to make sure move isn’t the first they screw up.
It is certainly a beautiful colour, no doubt about it.
On the other hand, matt colours are very delicate and I heard from a French guy that on the Kia EV6 there is no warranty on the paint when you choose a mat paint.
Here a interesant video about mat paints in German, but with English CC

·
Registered
2017 VW Passat Estate Diesel (omg!)
287 Posts
Talked to dealer, and even car accessories shop. They strongly adivsed against matte finish.
Hard to clean, even hard to find cleaning products (this car accessories shop from a chain didn't even have any products specific for matte finishes).
So even though it is fantastic color, I wouldn't do it.
If you ever want to sell it, or when leasing, you may get serious hits on your insurance.

It would have been nice in a metallic finish (not matte) or pearl.
This color is THE color that keeps your car looking clean even though it isn't. It hides dust and small dirt easily.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It is certainly a beautiful colour, no doubt about it.
On the other hand, matt colours are very delicate and I heard from a French guy that on the Kia EV6 there is no warranty on the paint when you choose a mat paint.
Here a interesant video about mat paints in German, but with English CC
I asked the guy from the video personally if I should buy an IONIQ 5 in matt paint because beside the Gravity Gold matt, I liked also the Shooting Star Grey matt.
He is one of the most renowned car cleaning shop in Germany, really a maniac and he strongly advised me against it, which he explains also in his video.

·
Registered
44 Posts
All the Ioniq 5’s, including the P45 we drove in Leatherhead at the end of June were Gravity Gold. I don’t recall it being flat Matt like some of the grey “stealth bomber” cars you see, it is more of a silver than gold. The car in my photo was taken at the test drive.

·
Registered
611 Posts
All the Ioniq 5’s, including the P45 we drove in Leatherhead at the end of June were Gravity Gold. I don’t recall it being flat Matt like some of the grey “stealth bomber” cars you see, it is more of a silver than gold. The car in my photo was taken at the test drive.
Yes I know, there exist different versions of matt paint, for instance BMW has "Frozen matt", Hyundai seems to have a partially protected matt paint, but still, it always has the big disadvantages of matte paint.
- one scratch, impossible to polish out, it wouldn't be matte anymore -> complete repaint​
- stubborn dirt from tree resin or bird droppings must always be removed quickly so that it does not penetrate, because polishing away is not allowed.​
- car wash with brushes is prohibited​
- most of the time, higher insurance rates​
- manufacturers don't give warranty on the paint or only a restricted version.​

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes I know, there exist different versions of matt paint, for instance BMW has "Frozen matt", Hyundai seems to have a partially protected matt paint, but still, it always has the big disadvantages of matte paint.
- one scratch, impossible to polish out, it wouldn't be matte anymore -> complete repaint​
- stubborn dirt from tree resin or bird droppings must always be removed quickly so that it does not penetrate, because polishing away is not allowed.​
- car wash with brushes is prohibited​
- most of the time, higher insurance rates​
- manufacturers don't give warranty on the paint or only a restricted version.​
I've found a dealer who can get me an Ultimate trim with Tech pack and eco pack for delivery next month, but it's in this gravity gold matte finish. I walked away from it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting to hear about the matt paint, the one I was quoted for today was UK Ultimate spec with Eco and Tech pack in gravity gold on a lease, is the paint really that bad on this thing?

If not will have a long wait for another colour I think as tech pack has to be factory ordered, thought looking at it not sure if I need the:
Parking System - Parking Collision Avoidance Assist -Reverse (RTCA), Parking System - Surround View Monitor and Remote Smart Parking Assist

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interesting to hear about the matt paint, the one I was quoted for today was UK Ultimate spec with Eco and Tech pack in gravity gold on a lease, is the paint really that bad on this thing?

If not will have a long wait for another colour I think as tech pack has to be factory ordered, thought looking at it not sure if I need the:
Parking System - Parking Collision Avoidance Assist -Reverse (RTCA), Parking System - Surround View Monitor and Remote Smart Parking Assist
But tech comes with so much other things.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Such as? On the ultimate spec its only those three things that I can see from Hyundai spec sheet oh also the premium relaxation seats, but can not find what those are
Tech Pack Content :
Front Memory Seats
Relaxation premium Seats
BVM ( Blind View Monitor)
PCA ( Parking Collision Avoidance Assist - Reverse)
RSPA Remote Smart Parking Assist)
SVM ( Surround View Monitor

The relaxation seats are the driver and passenger seats that recline into a "zero Gravity" position with a footrest. Most of the Ioniq 5 videos on YouTube will show this feature. Ignore the digital side mirrors, Vision Roof and Solar Roof as these are not available on production cars in the UK.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tech Pack Content :
Front Memory Seats
Relaxation premium Seats
BVM ( Blind View Monitor)
PCA ( Parking Collision Avoidance Assist - Reverse)
RSPA Remote Smart Parking Assist)
SVM ( Surround View Monitor

The relaxation seats are the driver and passenger seats that recline into a "zero Gravity" position with a footrest. Most of the Ioniq 5 videos on YouTube will show this feature. Ignore the digital side mirrors, Vision Roof and Solar Roof as these are not available on production cars in the UK.
Only thing on that list might like is the posh seats, but not sure how much use I would get out of them. The blind view monitor until test drive dont know if that will be of an advantage, as you have to look down to see it.

The remote park assist might be fun to start with but might get side-lined to being a gimmic as never had issues parking before, and have a 360 camera on my current car but don't use it as I have sensors and good visibility.

But thanks for the info, will have to see what I think of it after my test drive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Only thing on that list might like is the posh seats, but not sure how much use I would get out of them. The blind view monitor until test drive dont know if that will be of an advantage, as you have to look down to see it.

The remote park assist might be fun to start with but might get side-lined to being a gimmic as never had issues parking before, and have a 360 camera on my current car but don't use it as I have sensors and good visibility.

But thanks for the info, will have to see what I think of it after my test drive.
I test drove a LHD P45 in Leatherhead at the end of June. I was so completely consumed by the fact that I was driving a LHD on UK roads that I cannot remember much, aside from the blindspot monitors which were very welcome :cool:
I have since driven a RHD I5, but it was an Premier spec and did not have the monitors or HUD. I really missed them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I imagine on a LHD they were handy.

Can you use ceramic coating on matte paint? That would stop the dirt and grime from doing damage to the paint?

·
Registered
P45 gravity gold.
26 Posts
Getting my i5 gravity gold booked for a ppf (paint protection film) and then ceramic coated.
Not cheap but I intend to keep this car for at least 7 years so want to protect it as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts