Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1,425 units Ioniq sold in November in South Korea; for November the Ioniq Electric leads by far (three times more) over the Hybrid; see here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Make life easier for everyone else lol !

That 1,425 relates to all variants of the Hyundai IONIQ — not only the all-electric (EV) one, but also the hybrid version. The exact sales split for November 2016 was: 1,085 IONIQ EVs and 345 IONIQ hybrids.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wanted the full electric but the 'true' range put me off (see the U.S specs for this). Also, I saw they are bringing out a better version with a 'true' range of 200 miles in late 2018 which was too late as my Corsa had gone to the knackers yard after 16 years service.
Bought the hybrid although I feel the plug-in would be better but no sign of that yet!
Both the cars on sale will depreciate heavily when the newer ones appear, but I suppose you could wait forever if you worried about that!

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq EV 28kWh
366 Posts
[FONT=&quot]"EV sales are on fire in South Korea, with 2016 sales up 158% YoY regarding 2015 and December setting a new absolute sales month, with 1.500 units, while the EV Share ended the year at a record 0.38%, a significant departure from the 0.17% of the previous year. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] This surge has much all to do with the instant success of the Hyundai Ioniq Electric, which surprised the brand itself, that expected the BEV version to be the slowest selling version of the three (HEV, PHEV and BEV). Turns out, the electric version is outselling the hybrid in a ratio of 3 to 1...
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]Making Hyundai's victory all more impressive, we should notice that the 3.700 units, or 61% of the total market, only started to be delivered in June...Will we see it reach some 8.000 units in 2017?"

EV Sales: South Korea December 2016
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
from the figures we are seeing on our very basic poll, the EV is a lot closer to the hybrid sales than Hyundai forecast

but we have a small sample at the moment, our figures may be more meaningful in a few months time wen a few shipments have arrived to ease the delays with orders

all of this seems to suggest Hyundai had misjudged demand and was caught out when it took off like a rocket, could also explain the delays in the US

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm surprised about the sales numbers as well. always thought the hybrid model would sell the best because of peoples' range anxiety but I guess that's not the case. People probably did the calculations and found the EV range sufficient for their daily drives.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The big Ioniq BEV sales are due to a heavy S. Korean subsidy of $18,000 which makes the BEV cheaper in Korea than any other version. The subsidy is only available to BEVs that can charge in under 10 hours with the standard (220V) outlet which also explains why the Ioniq BEV has the range that it does. It appears that the subsidy was tailor-made to include the Ioniq and exclude the Tesla Model S.

https://electrek.co/2016/12/29/tesla-south-korea-electric-car-incentive/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts