• I am interested in the Full Electric Ioniq

Votes: 6 7.8%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just a quick poll to see the number of each variant people choose

Hyundai have said they expect the Hybrid to be the most popular, followed by the electric and last of the Plug-in (lets see if they are right ? :) )

so I have put in the list the 3 variants and also if you are just looking which of the 3 variants

I have allowed you to choose more than one option as you may be considering the Ioniq but trying to choose between 2 variants.

please feel free to post you reason for the choice as well

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm interested in both hybrid versions because I want to travel by the car sometimes. I'd like to buy the plugin but I think I'll buy the hybrid eventually because I don't want to spend too much money...

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
going to see a Ioniq Hybrid today at my local dealer. marina blue premium the exact spec I am looking at

hopefully I will not be disappointed, doubt I will test drive as I won't have enough time, this is jus the marmite test visit (will I love it or hate it?)

dealer has already been teasing me on Wednesday with a walk round video of the car inside and out, still with trade plates on and plastic on seats etc just delivered to them

looks good, If I love it, then down to numbers and test drive

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Should have mine this weekend barring disasters . I went for the Ioniq Hybrid as I thought the EV only range was a a bit limited and ,there being double yellow lines outside my house , overnight charging was not an option . The plug in Hybrid is not due until April or May in the UK so not really considered seriously

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
I purchased the Ioniq Electric. Expected delivery mid January.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Purchased the Hybrid. Expect delivery in 2-3 weeks

Test drove the electric, and it is great!

However:
- the electric costs more
- An updated version of the electric is coming out within a year, but batteries can not be swapped. Therefore the current electric is going to lose value like crazy, since nobody will be interested to purchase the electric with the "smaller" battery. If the batteries could be swapped we would have opted for the electric version. But like this, it´s not worth it due to the massive loss in the value of the car ones the new version with the bigger battery comes out.
- electric has limited range. Electric would be ok as a 2nd car, but since we only want to have 1 car, electric is not (yet) the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i agree about the residual of the current electric, but on the up side in a couple of years you will be able to pick up an shorter range electric for peanuts for a second car :)

if you buy an electric ioniq with the current battery it depends how long you intend to keep it, if you keep it 3-4 years+ the potential extra depreciation should not be too much at the end

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
If I was to purchase the EV , I would wait until the extended range battery version came on the market . What would Hyundai's options be then ? Drop the price on the original EV ? Or send have the batteries retrofitted ? I'm assuming the last option could be done as it's a common chassis across the range ...assuming :)

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its not quite a common chassis, the suspension is different in the EV as the hybrid uses independent rear suspension but the EV uses a torsion beam rear suspension to give additional space for the bigger battery

so as long as the boot floor pan is the same you maybe able to swap the battery and a software update to tell the car about the new battery

but I doubt it would be that simple though

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
its not quite a common chassis, the suspension is different in the EV as the hybrid uses independent rear suspension but the EV uses a torsion beam rear suspension to give additional space for the bigger battery

so as long as the boot floor pan is the same you maybe able to swap the battery and a software update to tell the car about the new battery

but I doubt it would be that simple though
What is ? :laugh: . The reason that I mooted that is that the EV suspension would be the same for the newer version , most likely .Are Hyundai shooting themselves in the foot there ?
Anyway , I'm picking up my Hybrid tomorrow at the crack of dawn if I could ....woohoo :D

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Purchased the Hybrid. Expect delivery in 2-3 weeks

- An updated version of the electric is coming out within a year, but batteries can not be swapped. Therefore the current electric is going to lose value like crazy, since nobody will be interested to purchase the electric with the "smaller" battery. If the batteries could be swapped we would have opted for the electric version. But like this, it´s not worth it due to the massive loss in the value of the car ones the new version with the bigger battery comes out.
I have indeed considered to wait for the extended battery. But my driving pattern is that during the last 5 years I never drove a distance for which a larger battery is needed. And just adding extra weight that I do not need makes no sense. I expect I can keep this car maybe for 10 years or more.

In general all cars with a smaller battery lose their value fast. I have seen that with my Prius Plug In, which is in the top 10 of cars losing value fast. In the first 4 years 5000 euro per year was lost. In Spring 2017 the new Prius Plug In will come out here, with double size battery. After that the value of the old generation will even drop faster. So, in my case it was reasonable to replace it at this moment.

Reactions: unkel and chunga68

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why not wait 10 or more years then you will probably get an electric car with 400 to 600 miles? In the mean time I am enjoying my 120 mile range stopping every 70 miles +/_ enjoying a coffee wile charging or being able just plug it in at night at home filling it up with cheap rate electric.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why not wait 10 or more years then you will probably get an electric car with 400 to 600 miles? In the mean time I am enjoying my 120 mile range stopping every 70 miles +/_ enjoying a coffee wile charging or being able just plug it in at night at home filling it up with cheap rate electric.
unfortunately my mileage (6000 miles since mid November) doesn't make a EV Ioniq viable at the moment, at the moment I am doing 180 miles a day with no charge point at the client, when I work from the office it is 195 miles from home, furthest client is nearly 300 miles from home so 2 stops would add over 1 hour to my commute time and 2 rapid charges

so for me it will likely be 2 steps, hybrid to plugin, then plugin to EV, each step about 3 years apart

hopefully during that time, battery tech will improve and economies of scale should bring the price of an EV down

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bought an Ioniq Electric last Thursday, the boat from Korea is coming in on February 20th, so hopefully I'll have my car within a week after that.

The subsidies in Ireland are so good that I couldn't resist. The EV is by far the cheapest of the 3 Ioniqs over here! I'm a real petrol head and I'm used to having large BMWs as family cars, so this is going to be, ehhhhrmmm, quite different :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts