Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Which ACEA specification oil is used in your ioniq?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen in the user manual for my Hybrid that ACEA A5/B5 oil is recommended, however, having just had my first service, a quick glance at the invoice shows that they used ACEA C3. They also gave me ACEA C3 oil with the car in the delivery pack. The main difference between the two specifications is the high-temperature high-shear viscosity at 150 C which has to be between 2.9 cP and 3.5 cP for A5 and >3.5 cP for C3.

Now, here's the interesting bit: my fuel economy average is around 5 L/100 km. I do not drive the car hard, but I have the following mitigating factors: 95E10 fuel, 17" wheels, Michelin Primacy 3 tyres (not energy saver). So I start to wonder whether the C3 grade oil is also a contributing factor to the fuel economy that I'm seeing. Having said that, in the last week I'm getting 4.5 l/100 km now that the average temperatures are between 10 and 20 C.

So here's the question, which spec oil are you/your dealer using with your ioniq?

PS I'm using SAE 5w30, but I didn't want to complicate the poll further.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Shear strength should mostly make a difference in oil performance during extended oil change periods (I think, but I'm not an engineer). But oil viscosity makes a relatively small difference in efficiency compared to your wheel size and tires, you may not even notice it. But if you are doing small wheels with efficient tires, and driving efficiently, oil will make a real difference. What you should be using no matter what in the climate you live in is 0-20 weight oil. No argument for higher viscosity oils.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just as seen in other posts from UK (and others from europe), 5W30 is recommended here for the ioniq and 0W20 does not even get a mention in the temperature/SAE viscosity selection chart in the manual. If I look at other websites for oil selection vs ambient temperature 0W20 only appears to be necessary below -20 C, which is about as likely in western Belgium as 55 C. I appreciate that that is the recommended weight elsewhere, but while my car is in warranty, it will get what the dealership puts in it, which will never be 0W20. A quick look at the Shell website (as hyundai recommend/use Shell Helix) reveals why 0w20 is not used here: there is only one 0W20 oil in their range (here) and it only meets ACEA A1/B1 which was obsoleted in 2016.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
0-20 is certainly not necessary, but will result in best efficiency. That is the spec for the identical car in the US (in all of our climates).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I am aware that it is the spec for the US, but just to play devils advocate: you have much shorter oil change intervals in the US, so perhaps you can get away with a lower starting viscosity because your oil is never so old as in a car here in the EU.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked mine up and for my UK vehicle 0W20 is recommended.
Do you have a 2019? Do they still recommend Shell Helix in the owner's manual? If you don't have a 2019 (or maybe even if you do), have you had it serviced and do you know from your service invoice which oil was used during the service? Apparently, my dealer used Shell Helix AX 5w30, which is superseded Mercedes Benz spec ACEA C3 and A3 compliant oil.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, OK. I had a look at the 2019 manual from the US online and they're specifying ACEA C2 which makes sense. It has lower viscosity like A5 spec, but is suitable for vehicles with particulate filters, which I believe the 2019 hybrid should have.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yes, I am aware that it is the spec for the US, but just to play devils advocate: you have much shorter oil change intervals in the US, so perhaps you can get away with a lower starting viscosity because your oil is never so old as in a car here in the EU.
Our oil change interval is 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to see the dealer today. They showed me instructions from Hyundai Belgium telling them that they can use 5w30 ACEA C3 spec oil in all Hyundai petrol and diesel passenger cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Ioniqs require a ACEA C2 which is low HTHS (better for fuel economy) and mid SAPS (sulphated ash, phosphorus, sulphur - better for aftertreatment systems).
There's no harm in using a C3 as it only has higher HTHS, basically meaning it can handle more abuse, but Ioniqs' engines are hardly capable of abusing oil.
Dealers typically use 5W30 C3 because it covers a large range of vehicles and they prefer to have only one bulk oil tank for the workshop.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My US spec HEV is 0W-20 @ 7500 miles interval. I would stretch it to 10K miles interval but I don't think the OEM oil filter is that good. The oil might still be good but the filter might get overwhelmed with all the usual debris floating around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My US spec HEV is 0W-20 @ 7500 miles interval. I would stretch it to 10K miles interval but I don't think the OEM oil filter is that good. The oil might still be good but the filter might get overwhelmed with all the usual debris floating around.
Why do you think there will be lots of debris floating around? Will it be your first oil change?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
enviromind who has worked in the engine oil business (post above) also posted that he believed that paper filters (like the OEM filter) are OK with long oil change intervals in another thread.

I believe him but am still going to use synthetic media filters going forward. Technically, filters get more "efficient" as they collect debris as a filter. But that also increases the flow through resistance, and in the case of engine oil filters, more likely to use the bypass found in all filters at some point.

A good synthetic media filter has more surface area than a paper filter and thus can collect more than a paper filter without clogging. I took the the original OEM filter and took it apart. I have to say, after 7,500 miles, I saw zero visible debris. Pretty amazing! Not much need that I can see to shorten the initial oil change as was common in the past.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Why do you think there will be lots of debris floating around? Will it be your first oil change?
I will be on my second oil change. My first oil change was done around 7000 miles. I see no need in stretching above 7500 miles interval. With my driving, that's about 4 months between each oil change which also coincide with tire rotation. The dealer actually recommended 5000 miles interval but that's premature and a waste of money. But I think I can splurge $43 on a synthetic oil change every 7500 miles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My manual for the PHEV recommends 5w-30 A5/B5. I poured 5w-30 A5 oil in it but was wondering if it would be better to put 5w-30 C3 in it. C3 oils do a better job of protecting the engine against wear, and A5 are more a low fuel consumption oils with lower engine protection capabilities. Ioniq is not a car you drive at 6-7 000 rpm so A5 would be fine.
Since the car manual says A5 oil is sufficient for this engine, I'd think the engineers at Hyundai have made the necessary so that the engine works well with Low HTHS oils. If the manual said C3 recommended oil, I'd never put A5 in that engine.
0w-20 is not something I'd put in any engine of mine no matter how tightly assembled that engine is. In normal conditions oil circulates at about 90-110°C. In hot climate or just pushing the engine could lead temps to go upwards. 0w-20 becomes water at those temps and you will surely have metal to metal contact in your bearings. Not very good for engine longevity in my opinion. This oil is for low rpm engines with big oil coolers (lower working oil temps) and cold climate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will be on my second oil change. My first oil change was done around 7000 miles. I see no need in stretching above 7500 miles interval. With my driving, that's about 4 months between each oil change which also coincide with tire rotation. The dealer actually recommended 5000 miles interval but that's premature and a waste of money. But I think I can splurge $43 on a synthetic oil change every 7500 miles.
Even at 7500mi at 50% ICE usage there shouldn't be much debris after the first oil change.
What did the dealer say about you going past the 5000mi recommendation? This is the battle we're fighting in Canada. Hyundai wants us to change oil at 6000km regardless of ICE usage, with the threat of voiding warranty if not followed.
The point isn't about convenience, it's about dumping perfectly good oil unecessarily, which costs us more money and has a negative impact on the environment.
BTW 0W20 oil can only be made using synthetic of some sort so don't let them dupe you into thinking mineral 0W20 is an option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My manual for the PHEV recommends 5w-30 A5/B5. I poured 5w-30 A5 oil in it but was wondering if it would be better to put 5w-30 C3 in it. C3 oils do a better job of protecting the engine against wear, and A5 are more a low fuel consumption oils with lower engine protection capabilities. Ioniq is not a car you drive at 6-7 000 rpm so A5 would be fine.
Since the car manual says A5 oil is sufficient for this engine, I'd think the engineers at Hyundai have made the necessary so that the engine works well with Low HTHS oils. If the manual said C3 recommended oil, I'd never put A5 in that engine.
0w-20 is not something I'd put in any engine of mine no matter how tightly assembled that engine is. In normal conditions oil circulates at about 90-110°C. In hot climate or just pushing the engine could lead temps to go upwards. 0w-20 becomes water at those temps and you will surely have metal to metal contact in your bearings. Not very good for engine longevity in my opinion. This oil is for low rpm engines with big oil coolers (lower working oil temps) and cold climate.
Yes, C3 is completely overkill for these engines and has no benefits over A5/B5 in this case.

What you're saying about 0W20 is untrue; the high temp viscosities of a 20 vs a 30 oil are not hugely different (not even close to water!). SAE 20 viscosity is 5.6-9.3 cSt, water 0.3 cSt.
If your manual stated to use 0W20 (as it does for us in North America) you would use it, so never say never!
Using 0W30 A5/B5 would be a good option for you at your next service.
What oil change interval do you follow?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts