Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I buy a 12 volt battery for my 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Plus Limited (PHEV) in Ontario, Canada? My 12 volt battery is about done. I have to boost my car if I don't either turn it on asap after unlocking the door or if I don't lock it while it's not running (I normally boost my car from under the hood - I have too much practice using my booster pack now - NOCO GB40). My car has just over 109000 km. Dealership quoted me just under $400 Canadian which I thought was bad until I seen a worse quote in USD on facebook for someone in California (close to $500 USD for an Interstate battery). I haven't bought one yet. It seems the battery that comes from the factory in Korea sucks because lots of people on facebook and this forum had lots of 12 volt problems (now I need the information I can't find it lol).

I called a few places in Sudbury, ON and checked a few websites and no information which is why I called the dealership (none in stock local and about 2 weeks to get it I think lol).

Reactions: bluioniq

Registered
Where can I buy a 12 volt battery for my 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Plus Limited (PHEV) in Ontario, Canada? My 12 volt battery is about done. I have to boost my car if I don't either turn it on asap after unlocking the door or if I don't lock it while it's not running (I normally boost my car from under the hood - I have too much practice using my booster pack now - NOCO GB40). My car has just over 109000 km. Dealership quoted me just under $400 Canadian which I thought was bad until I seen a worse quote in USD on facebook for someone in California (close to $500 USD for an Interstate battery). I haven't bought one yet. It seems the battery that comes from the factory in Korea sucks because lots of people on facebook and this forum had lots of 12 volt problems (now I need the information I can't find it lol).

I called a few places in Sudbury, ON and checked a few websites and no information which is why I called the dealership (none in stock local and about 2 weeks to get it I think lol).
Hello fellow Sudbarian!
I have a 2018 PHEV.
I was one of the ones that had the lead acid battery replaced under warranty initially in 2019.
Now this replacement battery is close to possibly wearing out although I am not experiencing what you are describing.
I assume your battery is the original.
I have been in to talk to Sud. Hyundai about the length of warranty on my replacement battery. They told me it would be covered for three years.
I recommend that you check with the service department concerning your warranty.
I have not purchased a booster pack yet but I think it's going to be necessary.
Are you happy with the NOCO GB40?
Have you check Magnacharge Corp at 278 Lorne street near Douglas for a new battery?
Are you a member of the EV Society/ Sudbury chapter?
They are a good resource.
馃惂

Reactions: KevinT

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The service department said I had passed the warranty expiry date because the warranty was for 2 years/48000 km and last Friday which was when I was there my car was at 108797 km.
I called Magnacharge earlier this week and the person I was talking to on the phone said the Ioniq isn't in their system. I will probably have to measure the battery and go in person.

Hyundai had to boost the car after they had parked it in the drop off bay when they were done, they left the car unlocked, and long winded story short I went to the car it was dead told the service department so one of them went and got a booster pack, boosted the car and said oh ya the mechanic said he had to boost it also. Why didn't they tell me this???

This is the same dealership that keeps telling me it needs an oil change by 6000 km and I don't bring it in until around 9000 km (manual says 12,000 km).

I started having 12 volt battery problems in January just after I reached 100000 km.

Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
I wonder if a Seadoo battery might work? Since the Ioniq's battery is in the trunk rather than under the hood, it has a vent line to the outside to deal with any off-gassing that occurs during charging. That and its small size makes it a more rare and expensive type. Our original Seadoo batteries were similar, and were replaced with AGM types that don't have/need a vent. They came from Interstate in 2015 and 2016, costing $207 and $151 respectively. Not sure if the two were identical, the boats were built 4 years apart and are two different models. Still cheaper than what you were quoted for the Ioniq if you can make one fit.

Edit to add: AGM batteries do have a pressure relief valve and can still vent under fault conditions, they just don't vent during normal operation. So there is still some risk in replacing the Ioniq's battery with an AGM type.

Registered
The service department said I had passed the warranty expiry date because the warranty was for 2 years/48000 km and last Friday which was when I was there my car was at 108797 km.
I called Magnacharge earlier this week and the person I was talking to on the phone said the Ioniq isn't in their system. I will probably have to measure the battery and go in person.

Hyundai had to boost the car after they had parked it in the drop off bay when they were done, they left the car unlocked, and long winded story short I went to the car it was dead told the service department so one of them went and got a booster pack, boosted the car and said oh ya the mechanic said he had to boost it also. Why didn't they tell me this???

This is the same dealership that keeps telling me it needs an oil change by 6000 km and I don't bring it in until around 9000 km (manual says 12,000 km).

I started having 12 volt battery problems in January just after I reached 100000 km.
I have been planing to talk to Magnacharge.
They are closed today.
I will drop in on Monday, since it is supposed to be a blistering + 5*.

It is just my opinion but I think the dealership is correct about our cars being operated in the severe climate schedule.
In the winter I am always out & about at the coldest part of the day, which is just before dawn.
Consider also that at this time of the year, (sand season) we have left over sand on the roadways that gets blown up into the air just driving through it.
That is virtually dessert-like conditions!
In addition to all this our cars are designed to go through re-starts multiple times a day when used in HEV mode.
Starting an engine is the highest wear event since there isn't a pre-oiling system as far as I know.
Consider comparing how often an average I,C.E. car would start up per 24 hour cycle.
Ours re-start far more often, hence the need for the most expensive full synthetic 0w-20 oil.
I put a little less than half the kilometers on my car in comparison to your usage and have given in to changing every 6,000 Km!
I can fully understand the folks in the temperate zone of southern BC winning the right to change at 12,000.
If it is a matter of saving money consider doing all of your own oil changes and keep a simple text file in your computer complete with photos of your receipts ( receipts fade over time) of the oil type and brand (Hyundai recommends Quaker-state), and the oil filter, what ever the recommended brand is. You could even choose to pay your friendly neighborhood DIY mechanic to do it for you if you prefer not to get down and dirty!
Some would be happy to help out for a 12-24 pack of their favorite beer!
馃惂

Registered
I wonder if a Seadoo battery might work? Since the Ioniq's battery is in the trunk rather than under the hood, it has a vent line to the outside to deal with any off-gassing that occurs during charging. That and its small size makes it a more rare and expensive type. Our original Seadoo batteries were similar, and were replaced with AGM types that don't have/need a vent. They came from Interstate in 2015 and 2016, costing $207 and $151 respectively. Not sure if the two were identical, the boats were built 4 years apart and are two different models. Still cheaper than what you were quoted for the Ioniq if you can make one fit.

Edit to add: AGM batteries do have a pressure relief valve and can still vent under fault conditions, they just don't vent during normal operation. So there is still some risk in replacing the Ioniq's battery with an AGM type.
DarloniqPHEV, has the NOCO GB40 power pack. I think I need to get one also.
The last time a faulty battery stranded me it was on a Saturday afternoon!
I can't afford that happening when I'm trying to set off for work at 3:30 am!
Could you please view Project Farms test review of a variety of power pack brands and share your opinion on the ones that would be good enough for our unique needs.
For example I don't think we need the highest possible cold cranking amps since we are not trying to start the I.C.E., we are only trying to boost the charge level to the point where the computer software will recognize that the lead-acid battery is in a depleted state and in need of a boost from the drive battery pack, correct?
Considering your field of work, I think you will have a better understanding of what the presenter's test results were.

Registered

I have a second thought if you have time of course.
Sweet Project Cars YouTube channel instructs us DIYers to recondition old batteries instead of trading them in!
I would be interested in what your take on this might be.

馃惂

Registered

Here's some Auto-Sage wisdom from Scotty K.

馃惂

Registered

I have been to Magnacharge on Lorne this morning and they have had a good look at what type of battery we need to replace.
Unfortunately they can not legally replace any battery with an alternate unless the Hyundai approves it.
We may need to contact Hyundai Canada for assistance in this matter since our local dealership does not have the correct battery in stock.
I understand this is no help at all.
Sorry.
Please keep us posted as their are a few of us that will be following the path you break open soon.
馃惂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts