Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a word of warning......

I picked up my Ioniq with 15" wheels on Thursday....Dealer pointed out to me the cost of them...apparently they are carbon fibre and £150 each!!!!!

he knows because his demonstrator came back with one broken/missing and he called Hyundai UK to order one and nearly fell off his chair!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just a word of warning......

I picked up my Ioniq with 15" wheels on Thursday....Dealer pointed out to me the cost of them...apparently they are carbon fibre and £150 each!!!!!

he knows because his demonstrator came back with one broken/missing and he called Hyundai UK to order one and nearly fell off his chair!
Glad I scraped one of mine a few days after getting it then, great.... :(

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I know the link is for wheels bc . It's just that I assumed from martinhj's original post that the dealer was referring to the wheel trims rather than the wheels . "he knows because his demonstrator came back with one broken/missing " Can't quite get my head around how a demonstrator could come back with a wheel missing ...I'm probably totally wrong though ;)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it was definitely the wheel trim not the whole wheel :)

I'm just telling you what the dealer told me as a word of caution having only just found it out himself.

If anyone doesn't believe me they are welcome to curb a wheel, smash a wheel trim and order a new one to give us all the definitive answer >:).

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
So it's £150 for a wheel trim and £160 for a wheel ? Bizarre ;)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it's £150 for a wheel trim and £160 for a wheel ? Bizarre ;)
Indeed...maybe they come in 4's? who is going to be the fist to find out haha

But to be fair £150 a wheel isnt bad compared to some makes of car for a dealer supplied wheel

·
Registered
39 Posts
2 bits of info here:
*) I ordered a set of snow tyres with my HEV. They cost +- 950€ excluding VAT and came with the carbon-look platic wheel trims/hubcaps whatever you may call them.The rims are the same as the original ones.
*) changing tyres showed me that you must remove the nuts BEFORE the plastic trim can come off.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've ordered a cheap set for £17 off eBay. They don't look anywhere near as nice as the OEM trims but I really don't mind about the external aesthetics. I just don't want to be stung for a set of factory trims when it's time to return the car at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've ordered a cheap set for £17 off eBay. They don't look anywhere near as nice as the OEM trims but I really don't mind about the external aesthetics. I just don't want to be stung for a set of factory trims when it's time to return the car at the end of the lease.
Well now. Turns out there's more to trims than meets the eye.

The trims I ordered, despite the listing explicitly indicating they'd fit, don't. They're fitted by means of a sprung metal ring. Plastic tabs on the cover clip onto the ring and the ring then holds the tabs against the wheel rim. Or, in the case of the Ioniq, don't. The wheel rim isn't deep enough for the sprung ring and tabs to fit.

The Ioniq's trims are held on by the wheel nuts for a reason. It's not just aesthetics. The trims are very shallow and flat, to match the shallow rims.

So, anyone considering buying aftermarket replacements, take heed of my mistake. Now I need to go back to Kwik Fit and get them to put the OEM trims on again. I'll just have to drive carefully for the next four years, or be prepared to fork out for a factory set at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does not the installation of after market Rims void the Manufacturer Warranty?? ---- Personally I like the Factory wheels that come with my EV SE. The black trims kinda match the black grille, & although the wheels themselves are painted white, with easy & proper care they'll stay bright looking. The typical Alloy wheel look is Good on the other Ioniq models with the chrome grille, but alloy wheels do NOT stay bright & shiny for long and required constant attention. Leave well enough alone !!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Does not the installation of after market Rims void the Manufacturer Warranty??
It might, but that's not what's under discussion here. Trims != rims. We're discussing the wheel covers (trims) which fit onto the rims, not the rims themselves.

Personally I like the Factory wheels that come with my EV SE. The black trims kinda match the black grille, & although the wheels themselves are painted white, with easy & proper care they'll stay bright looking. The typical Alloy wheel look is Good on the other Ioniq models with the chrome grille, but alloy wheels do NOT stay bright & shiny for long and required constant attention.
I quite like the factory wheel covers (trims). But, judging by the comments earlier in this thread, and also the comments from my delivery driver, they cost a small fortune to replace. The car might not look as nice with aftermarket wheel covers, but I spend more time inside it and using it than looking at it.

My car's on a four-year lease, so I'm willing to put some inexpensive wheel covers (trims) on the wheels (rims) for the duration of the lease and keep the originals in storage if it means not being stung for several hundred quid when the car goes back at the end of the lease.

That's if I can find any which fit, of course. I might just have to accept the inevitable gouging by the lease company.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Figuring that "from the horse's mouth" was probably the best approach, over the weekend I dropped a mail to my nearest Hyundai dealer's parts department, asking for the cost of one wheel trim and a set of four. In my mail I quoted the exact part number stamped/moulded into the rear face of the wheel trim: 52960-G2300.

This morning I received this reply:

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding the wheel trims for your vehicle. The part number you quoted will cost you £96.00 inclusive of vat. If you were to order a full set of 4 then I would be able to give you a discount of 10% meaning that a full set will cost you £345.60 including vat. If you wanted to order one or more then we would require payment in advance which can only be made in person at the parts department and they generally take a couple of days to acquire."

That was from Tate's in Portslade, West Sussex. I don't know what price fluctuations there might be between different dealers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When he says full set, does he mean for all four corners or 4 inserts for just one wheel?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts