Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Plug In Limited
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in doing a wheel swap? I know some people don't like the 17" wheels due to harsher ride, more expensive tires, etc. I would like to make my Ioniq a little more sporty to drive and move to a 17" wheel for a shorter sidewall and I don't mind the stiff ride. I have a brand new 2020 PHEV with the 16" wheels and Michelins with just over 100 miles on them. I'd be interested in a swap with cash added in from me depending on the condition of your tires/wheels.

Mods, I apologize if this is misplaced, I did not see any kind of classified section. Delete if it's not appropriate.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
408 Posts
While my previous car was in the bodyshop for 5 weeks, my leasing company rented an Ioniq SE HEV for me to drive, it came with the 15" wheels and during my tenure, I put 8,000 miles on the clock. It impressed me so much that I insisted my employer downgrade me from an Outlander PHEV to my 2020 1st Edition HEV, which has the 17" wheels you seek, when the time to change arrived, and I couldn't be happier.

I am what is known as a road warrior in the UK, except for 2020, I have averaged 40,000 miles a year for the last 30 years (about 3 - 4 times the UK average) and I can tell you that in normal use 99.5% of drivers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between16" and 17" wheels and tyres. This isn't a sports car and you would need to be "driving as if you've stolen it" to feel any benefit from the wider, stiffer tyres.

Here in the UK, depending on spec, the HEV comes with 15" or 17" wheels, but you can downgrade the high spec model to 15" to benefit from the better mpg and more compliant ride. But, the PHEV and EV come with 16" only. There isn't a factory option to change them, and there must be a reasom for this, and it may well be that the front and rear track for a 15" wheel HEV, 17" wheel HEV, 16" wheel PHEV and 16" wheel EV are all different. I appreciate that those who have to run winter tyres have to think about this all the time, but my understanding is that they run the same, or smaller wheels, not bigger ones.

Before going ahead with this swap, it may be worth having a chat with your dealer and getting written confirmation that this variation won't affect your warranty and that the car would still pass all regulatory checks that are needed in your area (speedo accuracy, emissions, braking efficiency etc) and that they will not foul your bodywork when on full lock.

Good luck with your search.

Reactions: maxima

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.......I've been modifying my cars for over 20 years now A) There are no legal or warranty ramifications for this in the USA, Hyundai would have to prove that putting on alternative OEM Hyundai 17" wheels caused whatever warranty damage I was claiming which would be difficult considering they offer the HEV version with 17" wheels. Maybe if I was swapping to aftermarket wheels with insanely wider widths or a crazy offset (both of which would alter the scrub radius) but that wouldn't be the case here B) I personally know how much of a difference reducing the sidewall can make when it comes to a vehicle's handling and now that my commute is almost all windy, back country roads I can feel the sidewall on the tires flexing considerably. No, the IONIQ is not a performance car but I enjoyed my 2019 very much and after putting over 40k miles on it in about a year I decided to replace it with another considering that after the federal rebate it cost me about $120 a month to drive before fuel or insurance costs. I don't accelerate like crazy or anything, I just like to maintain speed through curves which I would argue is actually more efficient since I am conserving kinetic energy. When I have to slow down due to the fact that I can feel the sidewalls flexing and the front end losing grip I am actually using more energy to bring my vehicle back up to speed.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Do you have an electric parking brake? The 17" may not be compatible on the rear. Worth also checking if the offset is the same.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have an electric parking brake? The 17" may not be compatible on the rear. Worth also checking if the offset is the same.
Appreciate the info but the HEV SEL and Limited has the same exact electronic parking brake setup and comes with 17" wheels from the factory. Also, Hyundai parts states that the 17' wheels fit the Hybrid or Plug in variants.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Appreciate the info but the HEV SEL and Limited has the same exact electronic parking brake setup and comes with 17" wheels from the factory. Also, Hyundai parts states that the 17' wheels fit the Hybrid or Plug in variants.
Still possible that models years earlier than 2020 will not have compatible wheels. Pretty sure the 2017 and 2018 HEVs do not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still possible that models years earlier than 2020 will not have compatible wheels. Pretty sure the 2017 and 2018 HEVs do not.
I have a significant amount of experience with fitting aftermarket wheels on cars, I'm very confident that even prior year 17" wheels will fit with zero issues but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to update this I found a set of the 17" wheels to swap on, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anyone is interested, I'm selling the original tire/wheel setup, less than 250 miles on the Michelins complete with TPMS and center caps, no damage whatsoever.

The tires go for $150 each

The wheels go for $438 each

The tpms sensors go for $105 each

Total cost for this setup would be $2,772 brand new.

Asking $700 for everything.

Located in central NJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts