Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard these wheel covers are supposed to act as fairing to help reduce drag but the added benefits are marginal. Since I've switched out my wheels, I have not notice any difference in mileage whatsoever. So why add more unsprung weight which could potentially effect handling and add unnecessary cost to the vehicle?
Nearly every article written about this pin point aesthetic. It's merely to look the part of an efficient vehicle and nothing more.
It's automobile company acting like sheep and following senseless trend like putting a tablet in the center console. Ditch the wheel covers Hyundai and Toyota, the jig is up.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The claimed reduction in aero with the wheel covers is small, supposedly <5%. Which means at most 5 km/100 km. It's not a lot and I doubt that anyone would notice the effect just driving around, especially if it's not high speed open road stuff. However, the IONIQ's efficiency is based on optimisation of the whole vehicle. It's a grand exercise in a bit better here and a bit better there, all adding up to the most efficient mass production vehicle ever produced. I like the areo wheels and would never change them out, especially given that my mileage will probably suffer (just a little) since my commute is mostly at about 90 kph.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts