Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without expecting to charge on the route, on a cold day, what's the furthest you'd expect to travel without stopping for a charge 'in the real world'?

·
Registered
356 Posts
The furthest I can get, managing heat, 3-4 people, at 15F is 97 miles that’s down to 5% battery and non highway speeds (50-60 MPH and under). No turtle mode. On highway, I got 106 miles with temps in the mid 30’s F and 2% battery left at end. 65-70 MPH and had to lower to 55 MPH for the last 10 miles. Turtle mode at 104 miles.

·
Registered
525 Posts
we did a 194 mile trip in August with a one stop full charge And had 40 miles left on arrival.
on the return journey we charged once at the same place and should have had 40 miles in the battery when we got home.
it was was a dreadful cold, pouring with rain late night journey and having to use AC to clear the screen frequently, we only had 19 miles left on arrival.

being cautious, I would stick to a 120 mile round trip in summer and 80 or maybe 90 mile round trip in winter

summer range is 147, winter 121

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got the 38kw version. With the current temperatures in southern UK (7c) mine is showing range of 168 miles at 100% charge. I would guess therefore depending on driving style etc.150 miles should be achievable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the 38kw version. With the current temperatures in southern UK (7c) mine is showing range of 168 miles at 100% charge. I would guess therefore depending on driving style etc.150 miles should be achievable.
In your experience with 38kw how accurate is the displayed range? I'm teetering between going for electric vs plugin. My longest regular-ish long journey is 128 miles and I want to be able to do that comfortably without charging.

·
Registered
17 Posts
  1. I've only had it 3 weeks, so it may be too early for me to give accurate info . I'm driving this car as I have all my previous cars, which is 70-80mph on motorways, most of my journeys have been using Normal mode & I'm not trying to eek out as many miles as I can per charge. I feel very confident that your 128 mile trip would not be a problem in the UK in winter, but I don't know what effect another beast from the east could have on range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
  1. I've only had it 3 weeks, so it may be too early for me to give accurate info . I'm driving this car as I have all my previous cars, which is 70-80mph on motorways, most of my journeys have been using Normal mode & I'm not trying to eek out as many miles as I can per charge. I feel very confident that your 128 mile trip would not be a problem in the UK in winter, but I don't know what effect another beast from the east could have on range.
Thanks that's helpful. Worst comes to the worst on the odd occasion I could stop for a quick 10-20 min top-up I guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve had my 38 for a week and did a 140 mile journey with tens of miles to spare from a departing charge of 96%. We did stop off to charge in the end as we needed a break and would rather have more than 10-15% charge at our destination. I’m also driving as I usually would, except using manual regen and the auto regen that comes with SCC.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do a daily 174 Km (108 miles) roundtrip in my 38
App 2 * (½h on highway (doing 110 Km/h) and ½h on country side / city (60-80 Km/h) )
Returning on app 30%
Doing more than 110 Km/h is fairly "costly"
(and so is a strong head wind!)
Heater on auto, 21 degrees
Not hanging around, but neither running F1
I have 240-266 Km (149-165 miles) on the displayed range, which seems to be fairly correct (on winter tires)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks that's helpful. Worst comes to the worst on the odd occasion I could stop for a quick 10-20 min top-up I guess.
Maaate... that is suffering for your art waay too much.
Get a PHEV or a different EV. Everything is horses for courses and if you buy one the only just makes it you will end up hating it.
THe Ioniq is a great car but it is not worth sitting around for, or worse pushing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did a 268 km (166 mi) trip 2 weeks ago with Ioniq 28 kwh. Was a round trip, so starting and ending elevation is the same. In order to make it happen no heating was used. Froze like a ice pop. And I had to blow cold outside air on the windshield so it wouldn't fog up. Would never do that again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A short 10min charging break is no big deal, you will love the ride of the EV and the plug-in would be a bigger compromise.
Especially if you're driving for ~2 hours and 15 minutes.

I have a 38kWh and I'm very pleased with the mileage it reports. I've stopped watching it closely as I have a lot of confidence in it. I drove a Zoe for a few days and that was all over the place.

I've done two trips above 120 miles and I had cruise control on at max speed 70mph (with some 50mph zones) and managed 4.3mi/kWh and 4.7mi/kWh without trying. To be honest we did stop once each time and that was because 1) we needed lunch 2) needed a comfort break. Both times we stopped, the car was ready before us.

Doing another 250 round trip in one day with no destination charger (could do 3-pin socket charge though) today. I'll probably stop once each way anyway.

And another 300 one on Wednesday which might be tricker .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ultimately the electric could save me a lot more money, I can charge at home and it'll be so rare for me to need to charge on the go.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ultimately the electric could save me a lot more money, I can charge at home and it'll be so rare for me to need to charge on the go.
No doubt but dont get a car with limited range up its sleeve. Just look at the complaints from Leaf owners with battery degradation. If the same thing happens on your Ioniq you are stuffed. Maybe it will, maybe it wont but why take the risk? Get a Kona or new Leaf and never have range anxiety.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Really looking forward to getting my Ioniq 38 kWh. My previous EV experience was with a Gen 2 Leaf 24kwh which has a useable range of about 75-80 miles depending on temp. I did Essex to Glasgow twice back in 2014 and 2015. Took about 7 rapid charges which at the time were free vend. I broke the journey by staying overnight on route. Great adventure but certainly nerve wracking as in those days most of the Electric Highway was single units and if one was out you’d have had it. I’m expecting the Ioniq to do this in maybe 3 charges so I Suppose that’s progress

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know you asked for non-charge numbers but I just did a 92 mile trip with one charge stop that I’m sure I could have done without a stop if needed. It was from a higher elevation area to a lower elevation area and 60-69 degrees Fahrenheit. I’m certain to have to stop for a short charge on the trip home though since it’s back to higher elevation and the last hike up the mountain to my house is a battery killer

·
Registered
446 Posts
Bucksev
I have been running plug in hybrid for last 2 years, brilliant car but I wanted a bit more electric range so I'm waiting for new EV to be delivered! Luckly I have 3 free pod point 7kw charge points within walking distance of my house!(plus pod point at home), also registered with "Ecotricity" who have fast chargers at the motorway services I use on M6. I am sure you wont be dissapointed.
Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No doubt but dont get a car with limited range up its sleeve. Just look at the complaints from Leaf owners with battery degradation. If the same thing happens on your Ioniq you are stuffed. Maybe it will, maybe it wont but why take the risk? Get a Kona or new Leaf and never have range anxiety.
I'll be on a 2 year lease so that shouldn't be an issue. Would love a Kona but it's more expensive and a large wait.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts