Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at quote for my ioniq that i will pick up in the next few days, some seem quite high for a hybrid, has anyone found and insurance company who seems to favour hybrid cars more?

Whats your experiences?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I'm with Sainsburys Insurance at the moment . The premium was he same as my Renault Kadjar

·
Registered
193 Posts
What do you mean by 'high'? Have you tried the usual comparison websites?

I recommend LV Insurance myself. I was with RAC Insurance for my Prius, and they quoted me a ridiculous premium for my Ioniq, so I tried LV which came up with a very reasonable quote including all the usual features (legal fees, courtesy car, etc.).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Chrisb Yeh think I will be looking round I got mine last weds. Rung up my insurance company and was charged a extra 67 pounds till April 15 th. Then when I asked what it would be on renewal was told around 900 pound nearly fell of chair

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
£900 ???? They're having a laugh unless you've got points or recent claims . Is it you're first year with the insurer ? I've change a few insurers in the last few years because every one of them doubled my premium on the second year ( even though I was claim free ) . I stuck with Sainsburys because they were the only insurer that hadn't done that . Shop around is best practice :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
As I am getting a second car through a leasing firm, they cover insurance etc with the monthly, all I pay extra for is fuel. Mine is around 900 a year as I can't/don't want to transfer my existing no claims. My wife won't drive the Ioniq when I get it as it was going to add 50 per month as she had 2 accidents in one year, 2 years ago which were both her fault and one was a write off. I was told when querying it that they were told by Allianz, that as the Ioniq is new, there is no history as to repair costs etc. Kind of makes sense. So whilst the car is a low group compared to others, and has loads of safety features, they simply don't know enough about it yet. They told me once the industry gets some history it's likely to come down.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Hi Chrisb Yeh think I will be looking round I got mine last weds. Rung up my insurance company and was charged a extra 67 pounds till April 15 th. Then when I asked what it would be on renewal was told around 900 pound nearly fell of chair
I would say time to go have a chat with the fat opera singer with a silly moustache or those mearkats then tell your current insurer "adios" or something more to the point

so many times you only get a good deal for the first year then they seem to see you as something to be fleeced or worse

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I recommend LV Insurance myself. I was with RAC Insurance for my Prius, and they quoted me a ridiculous premium for my Ioniq, so I tried LV which came up with a very reasonable quote including all the usual features (legal fees, courtesy car, etc.).
Well i have 12 years driving and no claims discount for the same amount of time, and ive been quoted 298.30 for the whole year, which is about 29 a month. I did some quotes before buying the car and it was around 24 a month, so either the premium se has an increase cost per month or these sites are using cookie based tech to bump up the price again....

·
Registered
278 Posts

Well i have 12 years driving and no claims discount for the same amount of time, and ive been quoted 298.30 for the whole year, which is about 29 a month. I did some quotes before buying the car and it was around 24 a month, so either the premium se has an increase cost per month or these sites are using cookie based tech to bump up the price again....

Im going to pay 268£ for the year fully comprehensive and business use. £900 is very bad unless you are young, inexperienced, precious claims or points, live in an outrageously high crime and accident area or have a risky profession.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have about 13 years NCB, although RAC Insurance will only go up to 9 (!). For my Prius this year, they charged me £232. When I asked about the Ioniq, they quoted me £370 online! When I rang up, they said they couldn't do any better (different underwriter from the Prius one). So, using the fat opera singer website, I got quotes starting from £160, but I went with LV (who were listed) as they were a name I trusted, have used before, and have great reviews.

Also you can use sites like quidco where you can get a portion of your premium back in some form or another.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi I have been driving 58 years never had a claim I have been with this company six years. The one for the over 55. They were charging nearly six hundred for my i30 premium diesel. I had a right go on the phone with them so think I will be moving on

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi also no points I'm retired now I said this is outrageous had a good rant but they are just not interested these days. A few year ago they were all after your custom but now think they know people will pay

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've ended up with Hyundai insurance as my current insurer (Lloyds) wanted nearly £100 more than for my previous Kia Ceed. So I now lease a Hyundai which is owned by a Hyundai finance company and insured through a Hyundai insurer. Seems to work for me!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I contacted my car insurer Churchill today about transferring my existing insurance from my Skoda Octavia on to my Premium SE hybrid on 1st March. It made no difference and my insurance remains at £235 for full comprehensive and business use.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Hi I have been driving 58 years never had a claim I have been with this company six years. The one for the over 55. They were charging nearly six hundred for my i30 premium diesel. I had a right go on the phone with them so think I will be moving on
From my experience , the best way is to change insurer every year . Most of them seem to offer a low premium to new customers and bump up the premium the next year . Hence I change insurers every year , my present insurer being the exception . I assume that , as you've been driving for 58 years , that you're in the 75 + age group so maybe that pushes up your premium ? Though I must say that £600 for an i30 with your driving record is extracting the yellow stuff big time :eek: , I was paying less than that with 11 points on my licence .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Chunga68. Sorry about years 43 years I'm sixty eight. My son went

on a site other day for me best was coming back at 424 pounds Saga who I'm with was 576 on that site so don't know how they get 900 pounds will hunt around I'm just outside Bolton.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Hi Chunga68. Sorry about years 43 years I'm sixty eight. My son went

on a site other day for me best was coming back at 424 pounds Saga who I'm with was 576 on that site so don't know how they get 900 pounds will hunt around I'm just outside Bolton.
Same age as me then . It cost any more to transfer my insurance to the Ioniq from a Kadjar and I'm paying about £300 odd with Sainsburys . Maybe you should try them amongst others ?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
so many factors affect premiums, post code, crime rates, off road parking, little of it comes down to you driving record it seems

and some insurers target niche markets and load the premiums of their non target markets to put them off,

and yes I agree many insurers seem to give a good discount to get you in the year 1, then year 2 etc try to extract as much money and yellow liquid as possible

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i think il go with Aviva for mine, seems to be the better at 348, plus 60 quid cash back through quidco. so that will do me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts