Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My silly question of the day:
Do strong magnets in such close proximity to a phone interfere with the phone at all?
Its a very good question - Anyone got a Homing Pigeon App to check if they all get lost?
Seriously though, I don't believe so - but check out This Link where they look into it & debunk it

·
Registered
31 Posts
I test drove a Premium this morning. The dealer had left a USB cable in the car so I connected my iPhone. Carplay came up in full screen right away and it even resumed playing the song on Spotify I had been listening to in my ID.3 on the drive to the dealers.
Yeah, I have seen other cars where CarPlay does not have an issue displaying full screen. I believe it an Android issue. Then you get the Spider-Man meme with the manufacturers and Google blaming one another for the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have tried mount my Samsung Z Fold 3, and also my previous 2, nothing.
And these baby's have some crazy magnets inside.
And no, normal magnets will not harm your devices.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My silly question of the day:
Do strong magnets in such close proximity to a phone interfere with the phone at all?
As smart phones use a magnetometer sensor for compass / direction I would expect that function to be severely compromised. The instructions for calibrating the compass always advise to have the phone away from metal objects etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Put this on the magnetic holder on the dash Add this to keep your charge cards in… octopus juice, charge my Hyundai and other cards.
my wallet is too full for anything else !
Communication Device Gadget Rectangle Font Multimedia

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Probably my best modification to date - which effectively stops all that rattling you constantly get from the rear seat belt buckles banging against the plastic trim.
Tie wrap them to the boot cover bar just behind the seats - Hyundai should pay me for these tips!

Loose Buckle - Free to bang into anything
Automotive design Automotive exterior Material property Carbon Tints and shades

Buckles now safely secured
Automotive design Carbon Tints and shades Electric blue Metal

White Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Obviously no good to anyone who has back seat passengers - but a pair of small cutters carried in the glovebox will soon cut them loose
:cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Probably my best modification to date - which effectively stops all that rattling you constantly get from the rear seat belt buckles banging against the plastic trim.
Tie wrap them to the boot cover bar just behind the seats - Hyundai should pay me for these tips!

Loose Buckle - Free to bang into anything
View attachment 35550

Buckles now safely secured
View attachment 35551

View attachment 35552

Obviously no good to anyone who has back seat passengers - but a pair of small cutters carried in the glovebox will soon cut them loose
:cool:
Wouldn’t it be easier just to plug the rear seat belts in? I noticed this rattle during my test drive but I assumed it was because the belt had become twisted rather than a design failure.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
337 Posts
I don't have the car yet, could you use a velcro patch? With my cars I have found if the belt is not twisted, it USUALLY does not make a rattle.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wouldn’t it be easier just to plug the rear seat belts in?...
Ah - But you're not taking into account the "Covid Factor" & its effect on rear belts!

Due to social distancing at work, most people take their breaks in their own cars.
So with the passenger seat moved max forward, I like to have my own little relaxing lounge area in the back that I can sort of - spread out on / read papers / watch tv / have lunch.
I definitely don't want "plugged in belts" digging in my back & getting in the way of my breaks :cool:

How about sticking a black felt on the plastic area where the buckle likes to knock against?
Stick down with what - Glue / Velcro - I don't want any trim panels marked. The cable ties are the simplest & easiest fix

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have just done my take on a Phone mount with my Note 10+ which is in an Aluminium case which has a rubber patch on the back to allow wireless charging to still work. I didn't want to stick magnets onto the case so I had a look round and found a few items that may work.

1st is a metal plate that will have the magnets stuck to with 3m tape, as I wanted to pull the thing off the dash at some stage and not leave magnets behind (bracket was originally from B&Q DIY store in the UK and is used to secure 2 pieces of wood together)

Font Circle Metal Pattern Liquid

Magnets stuck on one side with 3m tape (I know some are not level, but when it stuck it stuck) It's OK for what I want to do anyway

Brown Product Rectangle Wood Wood stain

Next is an old aluminium push bike phone holder, took off the fixing for the bike which left a flat back which I could super glue onto the other side of the metal plate

Back
Rectangle Textile Red Material property Bumper

Front
Automotive tire Bumper Material property Tool Auto part

Super Glued on to the plate (Main section only, the end screw section is not glued so I can tighten the legs onto the phone to hold it in place)
Product Rectangle Red Material property Font

Plate attached by magnets to the side of the dash (very secure)
Musical instrument Electronic instrument Audio equipment Tool Red

With the phone fitted, I just put the phone in the holder and tighten the screw to hold the phone tight, may add a small piece of rubber on the 4 feet that hold the phone to grip the phone tighter.
Product Rectangle Gadget Communication Device Audio equipment

I have not driven in the car yet, will report back later if OK or if it needs the small bits of rubber fitted onto the 4 feet that hold the phone.

This was done with stuff i had to hand just to see if it works

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have just done my take on a Phone mount with my Note 10+ which is in an Aluminium case which has a rubber patch on the back to allow wireless charging to still work. I didn't want to stick magnets onto the case so I had a look round and found a few items that may work.

1st is a metal plate that will have the magnets stuck to with 3m tape, as I wanted to pull the thing off the dash at some stage and not leave magnets behind (bracket was originally from B&Q DIY store in the UK and is used to secure 2 pieces of wood together)

View attachment 35607

Magnets stuck on one side with 3m tape (I know some are not level, but when it stuck it stuck) It's OK for what I want to do anyway

View attachment 35608

Next is an old aluminium push bike phone holder, took off the fixing for the bike which left a flat back which I could super glue onto the other side of the metal plate

Back
View attachment 35609

Front
View attachment 35610

Super Glued on to the plate (Main section only, the end screw section is not glued so I can tighten the legs onto the phone to hold it in place)
View attachment 35611

Plate attached by magnets to the side of the dash (very secure)
View attachment 35612

With the phone fitted, I just put the phone in the holder and tighten the screw to hold the phone tight, may add a small piece of rubber on the 4 feet that hold the phone to grip the phone tighter.
View attachment 35613

I have not driven in the car yet, will report back later if OK or if it needs the small bits of rubber fitted onto the 4 feet that hold the phone.

This was done with stuff i had to hand just to see if it works

Regards

Phil
Full marks for effort but I don't understand why. What's wrong with the way that Android Auto/Carplay interface and interact with the car systems that would require the phone to be positioned there?

Saying that, I still can't understand the purpose of the magnetic dashboard full stop - it's similar to the small vase that VW put in the Beetle and is primarily for aesthetics rather than function.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Full marks for effort but I don't understand why. What's wrong with the way that Android Auto/Carplay interface and interact with the car systems that would require the phone to be positioned there?

Saying that, I still can't understand the purpose of the magnetic dashboard full stop - it's similar to the small vase that VW put in the Beetle and is primarily for aesthetics rather than function.
I don't like or use Android Auto and when on the road I use things like The TomTom app AmiGo plus sometimes what 3 words and other apps and why not use that space because it's there. The reason that it is in the car is due to Korean Culture, and being Korean it's been added to the design concept.

Do I like it, not really I would rather it not be there (but as it is I will use it) I would rather they did the screen design the same as the KIA EV6 - but it is what it is

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't like or use Android Auto and when on the road I use things like The TomTom app AmiGo plus sometimes what 3 words and other apps and why not use that space because it's there. The reason that it is in the car is due to Korean Culture, and being Korean it's been added to the design concept.

Do I like it, not really I would rather it not be there (but as it is I will use it) I would rather they did the screen design the same as the KIA EV6 - but it is what it is
I thought AmiGo plus was in Android Auto and what3words could access any navigation system in the phone so therefore any nav system in Android Auto.

I think this is one of the first images I saw of it and it made me think of those little note pads that sales reps used to have mounted on their dashboards in that position (ideal for right handed people in the UK):
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Steering part

Once I had that in my head I guess my judgement of it's functionality had been clouded.

·
Registered
3 Posts

With all the technology you would think they could have come up with an electronic note pad or something

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
...What's wrong with the way that Android Auto/Carplay interface and interact with the car systems that would require the phone to be positioned there?
As I said in the first post, my phone is mostly used for playing podcasts and audiobooks, so if its visible & easily accessible on the magnetic pad then I can readily play/pause/ advance /rewind anything I'm listening to.
Not had much time to play around with Android Auto yet, but would it be able to do that?

@toscal353 - Yes it comes with all UK P45s - not seen it on any Euro versions - maybe its magnetic penance for making us wait an extra 2 months for the car (although mines now in the kitchen cupboard together with some old nokias)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I expect that Android Auto would do what you want it to do although I am finding limitations e.g. Amazon Music will only skip to next track rather than ffwd'ing through the track. The best thing to do is give it a go, it's use friendly and far safer to speak instructions than try to fiddle around with the phone.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I expect that Android Auto would do what you want it to do although I am finding limitations ...
Just watched a couple of vids on Android Auto & its kind of put me off ever wanting to use it.
It doesn't seem very quick & intuitive to use, and there would be a lot of leaning over to press buttons on the centre screen, that could be achieved far easier on the mobile.
I might find it useful to cast my phones screen to it to watch Sky go whilst parked up, but that's about it.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts