Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kick this off with a nice easy one - Lets put that Magnetic Dash trim to good use
Couple of thin magnets in the back of the phone case & Voila :cool:

Oh yeah - I also made a nice little I5/Project 45 logo for my screensaver

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not at all - I did the 0-60 with the drag race app running & it stayed put
View attachment 35371
Thanks for posting these pictures! I've been really curious about this -- one or two youtube reviewers indicated that the magnetic surface wouldn't bear the weight of a phone -- and I couldn't understand why Hyundai wouldn't ensure such a simple and obvious use-case.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
340 Posts
Kick this off with a nice easy one - Lets put that Magnetic Dash trim to good use
Couple of thin magnets in the back of the phone case & Voila :cool:

View attachment 35365

Oh yeah - I also made a nice little I5/Project 45 logo for my screensaver
Looks great. What type/size of magnets did you attach to your phone? Is the area it is attached to also magnetic? I thought it was only an iron based material that a magnet would attach to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Android Auto does not fill the whole 12 inch infotainment screen? I know some of the new Subarus, and maybe the Ford MME, had issues displaying the entire screen because of the portrait layout. I have not heard about landscape displays not taking up the entire screen.

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Android Auto does not fill the whole 12 inch infotainment screen?
Pretty sure I'd set it to split screen mode

What type/size of magnets did you attach to your phone? Is the area it is attached to also magnetic? I thought it was only an iron based material that a magnet would attach to.
The area is not magnetic at all, so assume its just a random steel plate left over from their shipyard ;)

My first attempt used 2 x 1mm rectangular strip magnets superglued onto the middle edges of the cover - but although it held the phone in position, it would probably have fallen off going round a corner.
As I only had 2 of this type in my "magnet pot", I removed one of them and replaced with 7 x 3mm disc magnets (loads of these in the pot)
This did the job of holding it firmly in place, but I'm going to order another batch of thin disc magnets & arrange them on a new cover, as I'm sure I can do it a bit neater next time

Magnet facts for the uninitiated:-
The thicker the magnet - the stronger the pull
The greater surface area - the stronger the pull
The smaller the distance between attracting surfaces - the stronger the pull

Rare earth Neodymium magnets are very strong and are rated by a number - the higher the better, ranging from N28-N52 (The higher the Nxx, the more expensive)

These are what I'm going to be ordering for the Mk2

-EDIT-
I actually went for some N52s on Ali-express for around £7.50 - Bargain if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks
10 x 25mmx10mmx1mm

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
340 Posts
Pretty sure I'd set it to split screen mode

The area is not magnetic at all, so assume its just a random steel plate left over from their shipyard ;)

My first attempt used 2 x 1mm rectangular strip magnets superglued onto the middle edges of the cover - but although it held the phone in position, it would probably have fallen off going round a corner.
As I only had 2 of this type in my "magnet pot", I removed one of them and replaced with 7 x 3mm disc magnets (loads of these in the pot)
This did the job of holding it firmly in place, but I'm going to order another batch of thin disc magnets & arrange them on a new cover, as I'm sure I can do it a bit neater next time

Magnet facts for the uninitiated:-
The thicker the magnet - the stronger the pull
The greater surface area - the stronger the pull
The smaller the distance between attracting surfaces - the stronger the pull

Rare earth Neodymium magnets are very strong and are rated by a number - the higher the better, ranging from N28-N52 (The higher the Nxx, the more expensive)

These are what I'm going to be ordering for the Mk2
View attachment 35374
Thanks. I may try this if I ever get an Ioniq 5 - still waiting for dates and prices in the US.

·
Registered
Ionic 5
42 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Android Auto does not fill the whole 12 inch infotainment screen? I know some of the new Subarus, and maybe the Ford MME, had issues displaying the entire screen because of the portrait layout. I have not heard about landscape displays not taking up the entire screen.
I test drove a Premium this morning. The dealer had left a USB cable in the car so I connected my iPhone. Carplay came up in full screen right away and it even resumed playing the song on Spotify I had been listening to in my ID.3 on the drive to the dealers.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts