Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

521 - 540 of 563 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
My mpg is currently 54.4 with lots of urban and uphill driving. I recently went on a week long run and only saw around a 1.5 mpg improvement.
The car has covered 2500 (aprox) miles since I collected it and I have yet to reset the mpg calculator.
Is it best to leave it as it is or reset it (or even reset on each start up) to get a more accurate picture ?
Best to set it to cumulative, and then watch the MPG climb as the car accrues the miles... The per tank is subject to greater incidental variation

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Personally, I like resetting it each tank to give me better feedback on current variables like temperature, long trips and so on. Also helps to set and meet goals, even if they tend to be seasonal, not annual. If you are the kind of person who will hate seeing a twenty percent drop in winter driving, then go for cumulative. You will also have to tune out the separate daily trip mpg info too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We drive this car extremely conservatively but still manage to average only mid-40s MPG. Not complaining as it's 2x better than our minivan and a few MPGs better than our previous Prius. But we do get jealous from reading all the high 50s and 60s...

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I do get high 50's in the summertime in my much less aero Niro, and 60's are certainly reasonable in the Ioniq, but numbers over that usually only result from traffic impeding hypermilers and UK drivers who use the larger imperial gallon.

40's? I can only assume you have the larger wheels.

·
Registered
152 Posts
60's are certainly reasonable in the Ioniq, but numbers over that usually only result from traffic impeding hypermilers and UK drivers who use the larger imperial gallon.
Perhaps it would help if you actually owned the vehicle you are talking about, because I'm averaging 62.4mpg US (calculated), and I'm not doing anything to impede traffic, or utilising any hypermiling techniques. I don't have the time for it when I'm on the road.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Perhaps it would help if you actually owned the vehicle you are talking about, because I'm averaging 62.4mpg US (calculated), and I'm not doing anything to impede traffic, or utilising any hypermiling techniques. I don't have the time for it when I'm on the road.
Andy, what does your scorecard typically look like? How much normal vs eco vs aggressive?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I'll say it again, mpg in the 60's is certainly reasonable. 64.2 mpg falls in that range. UK drivers on the other hand often quote 70's and even 80's. Can't get that on a US gallon.

·
Super Moderator
1,842 Posts
It's 83/17/0 at present.
Seems OK to me, about the same or often better than mine is . A lot depends on the terrain and other road users . To expand on my reference to other road users I'll detail my driving style . Normally I accelerate slowly using EV as much as possible if the road is quiet . Problem is , the road is very rarely quiet and most people seem to want to get to their destination yesterday so I have to accelerate more harshly than I'd like to . This obviously affects my driving style score.
As far as the terrain goes I live in a very hilly area with some very steep short inclines .These inclines are very difficult to negotiate ( In the hybrid maybe possible with PHEV )without giving the accelerator a bit of gun which also affects the driving score . EV is sometimes possible on these inclines but not often for the same reason as " other drivers"
Hitting a score of 90 over a tankful is nigh on impossible for me , which is not to say it's not possible for others in different locations . I sometimes flick through the menus whilst driving as a matter of curiosity .If I recall mine did hit 95 yesterday on the way home ( the first few miles ) my bet is it has dropped to the 80s or less by the time the reality of hitting the Welsh valleys kicked in . Didn't check the score when home it's just curiosity not a bible as far as I'm concerned
If you are getting mid sixties mpg US I should be happy .
For those getting mid 40's UK or US , I would consider a few things . Is it always short journeys from cold ? , Are you a little heavy on the throttle ? The Terrain ? Bad fuel ? If none of those apply consider a visit to the dealer :)
Update , I checked the driving score when I got in the car this morning. The score was 83 Eco 17 Normal ..MPG 76.5 UK (just a guesstimate I know )
Went for a 60 mile drive today and returned home with a driving score of 72 Eco 28 Normal MPG 82.6 UK .
Sort of explains why I put little store in the driving score :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I finally got 61.x MPG on 45 miles trip @ 60MPH. -- Air conditioning off, 4 windows partially down and the ambient temperature was 80F

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
$2.27/gallon for unleaded. WOW! Do you even need a hybrid? ;)
Yes, future proofed against price rises. Plus of course doing our bit for the world.

That $2.27 was in Florida. Here in Ohio it is low as $2.11. Passed by a $2.26 this evening, and it is $2.34 five miles from home. This despite a 10.5 cent tax hike last month in Ohio.

Best price in the country today appears to be $1.93 in Louisiana.

521 - 540 of 563 Posts