Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I moved out from Philly, few months from now, I probably end up to need to do basic maintenance myself since the reputable hyundai dealer will be around 100 miles or so from my place. With that said, anybody here know what is the oil filter type for Ioniq? Is it the same filter like elantra has? Can anyone post a procedure how to change oil for Ioniq?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
when thy serviced my car it appeared to be a external canister type filter, can't confirm part numbers or more information as no part numbers or invoice given as was on a service plan

I think the filter came out under the car, while it was up on the lift

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
why not ask the dealer parts dept for the part number and cost?

worst case you get a silly price, best case you get a nice surprise

had cars in the past where filters from the dealer was cheaper than pattern parts

I never skimp on tyres, brakes, filters and oil, as my life and longevity of the engine depend on them

·
Registered
725 Posts
why not ask the dealer parts dept for the part number and cost?

worst case you get a silly price, best case you get a nice surprise

had cars in the past where filters from the dealer was cheaper than pattern parts

I never skimp on tyres, brakes, filters and oil, as my life and longevity of the engine depend on them
Yeah, I had to change the thermostat on my Vectra some years ago and Vauxhall was the cheapest place for the coolant

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Hyundai hybrid oil filter P/N is: 2630035504. It does cross reference to a Purolator p/n PL14459. My dealer's parts guy said that this oil filter is used on many other Hyundai models (my 2002 Kia Sedona van uses the same filter!). He quoted his selling price at $5.25US.
Make sure you read the procedure for changing your own oil (especially if you've never done that type of maintenance before). And be careful, the oil can burn you! Good Luck, G.W.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Hyundai hybrid oil filter P/N is: 2630035504. It does cross reference to a Purolator p/n PL14459. My dealer's parts guy said that this oil filter is used on many other Hyundai models (my 2002 Kia Sedona van uses the same filter!). He quoted his selling price at $5.25US.
Make sure you read the procedure for changing your own oil (especially if you've never done that type of maintenance before). And be careful, the oil can burn you! Good Luck, G.W.
It looks the Purolator part number for the filter is PL14459 and the FRAM number is PH9688

·
Registered
62 Posts
Super tight factory installed filter

I just ordered oil filters for our Hyundais. Good news- the oil filter is the same for our 2018 Elantra as well as our 2 Ioniq Hybrids in Blue trim. I found a pack of 10 for $48 on Amazon. The current Hyundai part number is 26300-35504. However, according to my dealer part number 26300-35503 is the previous edition and will work the same as the new part number.
We started out on what I thought would be a very simple, first, oil change. It wasn't. The oil drain plug came off exactly as expected. The filter was a different thing altogether. Not in a million years would I have expected a filter as tight as this one. I used every tool to try to free it. Normally I can break a filter free by hand. then I tried the basic stamped metal cap type -it just slipped. Then I tried locking pliers- no go. After a quick trip to O'Reilly's to buy any and every tool they had for oil filters I thought I had it. Nope. I then commenced to removing the plastic protection aero shield to provide some lateral access. I then opted for the more dratic pop a screwdriver through the oil filter casing. instead of piercing it the case just bent. Then I upgraded to a sharp chisel. after making a keyway in the housing it still wouldn't budge. Finally, I commenced to taking a metal snips to the entire casing like a dentist takes out an impacted molar.
Note: Hyundai makes (sources) an excellent oil filter. This thing is solid steel. Hence, why I bought the 10 pack.
By this time the upper steel screw on steel plate was all that was on. there are five holes around the top. I eyed these as the best means of removal. I tried a few tricks with two pins and a lever, but couldn't get the force necessary to free it. We then opted for some heavy duty long nose pliers. Finally, freedom!
After this job I went to a better auto parts store with some custom tools by Lisle. I ordered a solid steel cam-operated tool that would have freed this oil filter. Now I will probably never use it. However, my two Ioniqs are still awaiting their first oil changes. I note this because after the first oil change they will never be tightened this much again.
We were not sure if the filter was installed at the factory without oil on the seal or put on by a robot. maybe there was an initial change in the metals on first operation, we're not sure. But, it was tight!
Back to the dealer- when I questioned the parts manager he said he had to double check the filter number because they hadn't done a Ioniq yet- seems odd, but that's what he said. I also questioned him on oil brands they use. He said they carry Mobil in their tanks. He said I believe the Ioniq requires synthetic in which case he uses Mobil 1.

Reactions: Jonboy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oil Filter with removal tool

I thought I would add a photo of the correct Hyundai Mobis oil filter. I also included the sure-fire Lisle oil filter removal tool I wish I had earlier.
I received the oil filters (10ea) from Amazon. the reviews said it didn't include the crush washers, but to my surprise they sent the latest version of the filter along with the crush washers

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bluecar- No such sticker on the Ioniq with a born date mid-summer 2017-USA car. I do have the Shell sticker on our 2018 Elantra. Nonetheless, I view it as a simple promotional ad. I like the drivetrain warranty provided by Mobil1 better. It provides engine replacement coverage if you can prove proper usage from new. 0W20 is the weight recommended by my local Hyundai dealer.
Keep up the good work; I enjoy your comments on the forum

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just recently did the first oil change on my Ioniq hybrid. Someone may find it helpful to know that an 80mm 15-Flute End Cap Wrench Set was extremely useful and made it really easy to get the oil filter off.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The most effective oilfilter wrench is a (bicycle) chain wrench with a lever of at least 30 cm to get appropriate torque. The biggest mistake made is to mount a filter using such a wrench. Often you damage the filter. Mount it manually by turning it firmly on the seat, applying a little engine oil on the rubber sealing. Then in most cases it will come off without needing a wrench.
Start the engine for a minute and check for leakage before remounting the bottom plate. Once I had a internal faulty Honda filter leaking 1 liter per hour. Discovered it just in time.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
The most effective oilfilter wrench is a (bicycle) chain wrench with a lever of at least 30 cm to get appropriate torque. The biggest mistake made is to mount a filter using such a wrench. Often you damage the filter. Mount it manually by turning it firmly on the seat, applying a little engine oil on the rubber sealing. Then in most cases it will come off without needing a wrench.
Start the engine for a minute and check for leakage before remounting the bottom plate. Once I had a internal faulty Honda filter leaking 1 liter per hour. Discovered it just in time.
only issue with a chain wrench is they damage the filter if not successfully getting it off, which leaves you with a car you can't drive until you can get the filter off

as mentioned

I just recently did the first oil change on my Ioniq hybrid. Someone may find it helpful to know that an 80mm 15-Flute End Cap Wrench Set was extremely useful and made it really easy to get the oil filter off.
that will fit through the access hatch in the plastic try and works well, it is the tool I have seen the techs use when they service my car, and you can fit it to a socket wrench or torque wrench as well

right tool for the right job always makes it easier, especially when access space is limited or designed for a special tool to be used

·
Registered
776 Posts
only issue with a chain wrench is they damage the filter if not successfully getting it off, which leaves you with a car you can't drive until you can get the filter off

as mentioned

that will fit through the access hatch in the plastic try and works well, it is the tool I have seen the techs use when they service my car, and you can fit it to a socket wrench or torque wrench as well

right tool for the right job always makes it easier, especially when access space is limited or designed for a special tool to be used
As I said, oil filter wrenches are no good for mounting. They are the last resort in case of problems in getting them off. However, when yours stuck, I cant imagine you wont get it off with the chain wrench. Then you have a serious problem which wont be solved by other wrenches either. When I read that someone is spending more than hours (!) to get the thing loose, someone at the factory or at the dealer has seriously FU.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I thought I would add a photo of the correct Hyundai Mobis oil filter. I also included the sure-fire Lisle oil filter removal tool I wish I had earlier.
I received the oil filters (10ea) from Amazon. the reviews said it didn't include the crush washers, but to my surprise they sent the latest version of the filter along with the crush washers
I just finished the first oil and filter change on my HEV. As others have reported, the original factory filter was incredibly tight. This is poor workmanship from Hyundai, there is no reason to torque up an oil filter that much. Only tool that I could find to remove it is the an 80 mm 15 flute oil filter socket, similar to the tool from Lisle that was recommended above. To anyone attempting the first oil filter change, I strongly suggest you have this tool on hand before starting, or be prepared for a fight.

Incidentally, I went to my local dealer to purchase the OEM Hyundai oil filter. They were out of stock but had a Napa ProSelect 21334 which they told me was identical to the Hyundai filter. They sold me the filter for $17.50. I then looked it up on the Napa site and it sells for $4.44 https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/NSF21334?jobName=+Filter+Replacement .

I returned the filter I bought at Hyundai. When I finally removed the Hyundai filter, it looked identical to the Napa filter, although I haven't taken the time to cut up each filter and inspect the internals. In any event, Hyundai sold me this filter as an equivalent to OEM so I'm confident I have the correct filter. I suspect Hyundai purchases the filters from a third party and rebrand them with Hyundai colours.

Reactions: billmi and Jonboy

·
Registered
480 Posts
I concur with martniq and Gearbox Paul, the factory installed oil filter is too @#%!& tight. I wish I had read this thread before I started because as bluecar1 said, having the right tool makes all the difference. I started with my usual chain wrench. I've never liked that thing, it's not designed very well but that's all I had. Under the Ioniq there's not much room to swing the wrench handle and it's nearly impossible to get your hand through the opening in the plastic under guard. All I could manage to do is severely dent the oil filter and scrape up my hand - but it wouldn't budge.

In frustration I called the local quickie oil change shop to see how much it would cost to have them change the oil and filter. I was shocked to hear that they would charge me $75. I don't know if that price really is shocking or if I am just showing my age. I've never taken my car in to have the oil changed before so I don't know what it should cost. But I seem to remember seeing them advertised in the past at around $25 so that's the mental image I have. And I had already bought the oil ($22 for 5 quarts of STP synthetic 0W20 oil) and filter ($5 for a STP filter, part number S2808). So I couldn't stomach paying someone else $75 for something I should be able to do myself for $30.

That's when I found this thread. I went looking for a top down filter wrench like the Lisle or a 80 mm 15 flute end cap wrench. The best I could find at the local parts stores was a combination 80/82 mm 15 flute wrench. It seems like a compromise design that should never have happened. It just slipped on my filter because the 82 mm section was too big and the 80 mm section didn't grab enough of the filter. Grrrr. I had to line the inside with duct tape to make it smaller and then hammer it onto the filter. Finally the filter turned!

On the bright side, I have plenty of brake pad left.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts