Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
95%. I do this when I'm traveling long distance. DC charge weekly to 85% when I'm at home. I know this is bad for the battery, but I bought the car to enjoy and not to baby it. Plus I want to fully utilize the 2 year free charging.

I have a 9Kw solar roof (can charge car upto 10-11Kw/h) and get free level 2 charging at work (6Kw/h).

Guess I'll let everyone know if the battery is any good after 2 years or will Hyundai honor the warranty if the capacity falls below 70% before the warrenty period expires.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have seen the climate control eat up to 10% when driving in 91 F, so it's no surprise that it will consume more at 110 F. But it does take some driving to get 2.3 miles per kWh even with the extra use by the climate control. I just did a 2700 mile road trip in Europe. The worst consumption I saw was a 117 mile leg @ 2.2 miles per kWh. This was on the autobahn and I was using sport mode a lot to educate people about the joys of an electric car on the autobahn, especially when it comes to the 75 to 115 mph acceleration. I am practically an influencer when it comes to EVs now

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's actually 113 when we left. It's 93% charged and the range is only 173. The heat is killing the overall range.
The cooling for the battery pack at 113F/45C must have been active, it takes up to 4-5 kW during high-power charging, probably slightly less when driving. In other words, at very high ambient temperatures battery cooling probably takes more energy than cabin aircon.

With 113F/45C ambient, the battery pack was probably even warmer. 113F/45C and 122F/50C are throttling limits in EV6 / Ioniq 5, you probably had power limit.

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL AWD
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was driving from Las Vegas back home to OC, California. Just pass the border during the first mountain climb, Cal Tran closed two lanes of interstate 15. I was going 0 to 5 mph for 4 hours, all the while going up hill in 105 to 110F heat. During that time my drive distance was less than 20 miles. The battery blower/cooler was on basically all the time.

From Baker (1st recharge) to home was about 180 miles, and I couldn't make it home because the heat was impacting the range. I had to top off at Barstow (2nd recharge), temp was 106F.

I've done this trip before in the I5 and had no issues with just one recharge needed when the temperature was below 90F and no lane closure.

For some here who doesn't know the geographic location, this drive from Vegas to OC (about 260 miles) is mostly driving in high desert (2000 to just above 4000 feet above sea level). During this time of year (summer), the temperatures are in trip digits from Vegas to Victorville, which is 210 of the 260 mile drive.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
146 Posts
I've done that type of trip from Oceanside to Phoenix via Palm Springs in an i3 with the range extender. Those climbs are torture for the batteries and range - saw 60mi from 30kW on one stretch! The little car managed it with 2 charges (30kW battery) and 2 fill-ups (7L/2G tank).

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
997 Posts
I was driving from Las Vegas back home to OC, California. Just pass the border during the first mountain climb, Cal Tran closed two lanes of interstate 15. I was going 0 to 5 mph for 4 hours, all the while going up hill in 105 to 110F heat. During that time my drive distance was less than 20 miles. The battery blower/cooler was on basically all the time.

From Baker (1st recharge) to home was about 180 miles, and I couldn't make it home because the heat was impacting the range. I had to top off at Barstow (2nd recharge), temp was 106F.

I've done this trip before in the I5 and had no issues with just one recharge needed when the temperature was below 90F and no lane closure.

For some here who doesn't know the geographic location, this drive from Vegas to OC (about 260 miles) is mostly driving in high desert (2000 to just above 4000 feet above sea level). During this time of year (summer), the temperatures are in trip digits from Vegas to Victorville, which is 210 of the 260 mile drive.
Yeah, it's wild, need to move to EVs due to crazy results of climate change, but that just continues and so these periods above 100 or 110 are going to be more and more common (****, mortgage companies are looking to start cutting back on offering products in the sunbelt because mortgages are 30 years and what's the point if the home is worthless). It's great EA is doing their new charger setup with shade with solar on top, that should help - but yeah... heat's going to be a pain with current EV tech.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts