Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My I5 is brand new with only 2000 miles. The max range when new was about 325 miles. Just charged to 80% with an indicated range of 219 miles which at 100% would be 274 miles. I seem to have lost about 50 miles in total range. Wonder if that has something to do with the kw miles that I am actually getting with a few long road trips. Is the computer calculating my range based on the miles per kwh I have been averaging. Hyundai service says I should bring it in to the dealer to have it checked. OH WELL

· Registered
51 Posts
I've got a RWD as well. When charging to 90%, the guess-o-meter has been averaging about 290 miles range. That would be 324 miles at 100% and 258mi at 80%. Turn on the AC or heat and that drops like 15-20%.

Driving conditions and style certainly do help. I am in Eco mode most of the time and do a lot of city driving in stop-go traffic. Usually getting 5 miles/kWh. On the highway, I am typically a middle lane driver at 65 to 70mph and no crazy accelerations.

· Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
1,004 Posts
Drop the highway speed to 60, and see what happens to your miles/kWh and then your predicted range as the car learns your new style.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Read a lot of threads talking about mileage estimates and am satisfied that the estimated mileage indicated is due to my driving habits. Ok that being said, what about the Hyundai marketing hobbits telling us that we will get 325 miles on a full battery. They were right for the first 2 days I owned the car. Don't get me wrong, I think the I5 is a great vehicle and I would buy it again, but if you are looking for a range of 325 miles, go back to an ICE. Fortunately I don't do a lot of long trips and the I5 works just fine for the daily driving I do, charging in the garage. The last trip I did down to Vero Beach caused me some consternation though. I arrived with about 15% charge planning on charging at an EVgo station (which I had used before) lo and behold the charger was busted and there was nothing else around. Had a little range anxiety but next day went south on I95 and found a bank of FPL chargers, problem solved. Maybe Hyundai's had should read, Total Mileage of 325 based on 40 -50 mph with no air-conditioning. GREAT VEHICLE

· Registered
23 Posts
Read a lot of threads talking about mileage estimates and am satisfied that the estimated mileage indicated is due to my driving habits. Ok that being said, what about the Hyundai marketing hobbits telling us that we will get 325 miles on a full battery. They were right for the first 2 days I owned the car. Don't get me wrong, I think the I5 is a great vehicle and I would buy it again, but if you are looking for a range of 325 miles, go back to an ICE. Fortunately I don't do a lot of long trips and the I5 works just fine for the daily driving I do, charging in the garage. The last trip I did down to Vero Beach caused me some consternation though. I arrived with about 15% charge planning on charging at an EVgo station (which I had used before) lo and behold the charger was busted and there was nothing else around. Had a little range anxiety but next day went south on I95 and found a bank of FPL chargers, problem solved. Maybe Hyundai's had should read, Total Mileage of 325 based on 40 -50 mph with no air-conditioning. GREAT VEHICLE
I mean, this is totally in line with ICE car marketing as well. The EPA said that my old 2015 Hyundai Sonata can hit 37MPG. Over my two years of ownership, I only hit that number only if I am on an empty highway going 65 mph. Usually I got 28MPG in mixed driving, which is below the EPA combine rating.

· Registered
'22 Atlas White SE
399 Posts
I mean, this is totally in line with ICE car marketing as well. The EPA said that my old 2015 Hyundai Sonata can hit 37MPG. Over my two years of ownership, I only hit that number only if I am on an empty highway going 65 mph. Usually I got 28MPG in mixed driving, which is below the EPA combine rating.
This is the answer for all of these "not getting the maximum range" questions.

· Registered
5 Posts
My I5 is brand new with only 2000 miles. The max range when new was about 325 miles. Just charged to 80% with an indicated range of 219 miles which at 100% would be 274 miles. I seem to have lost about 50 miles in total range. Wonder if that has something to do with the kw miles that I am actually getting with a few long road trips. Is the computer calculating my range based on the miles per kwh I have been averaging. Hyundai service says I should bring it in to the dealer to have it checked. OH WELL
Summertime is brutal on batteries. Likewise, I was getting the same as you but as the weather cooled off, my range went up. I switched to Eco mode and driving with the i-Pedal on for regen. The computer figures out how much power all the accessories use and recalculate your range based on that. As you turn accessories on/off, the range will change. Today, I had on the butt and steering warmer and it killed my range. When I turned them off, the computer refigured a longer range.

· Registered
386 Posts
It's the opposite here (UK). In the summer I can drive with hardly any AC and nothing else draining power.
In the winter I need heat, demisting, headlights, wipers. My range improves in summer and drops off in winter.

· Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
265 Posts
It's highly weather dependant. There's a LOT of threads on this forum covering this. I'm sitting at 250mi/400km max range right now, will probably see another 30mi/50km less in the dead of winter on our rwd.

· Registered
1,228 Posts
On my car with the 72.6kWh battery (early European model), the lowest range figure I've seen with 100% charge was 230 miles, the highest was 340 miles. That's a massive difference. Its all down to the car's recent driving history and the ambient temperature.

· Registered
1 Posts
Air density versus speed. Cold air is dense decreasing miles/KWh compared to warm air. More speed increases battery consumption for identical temperatures due to air drag. ON this mornings commute over the same route, I got behind a driver doing 45mph instead of 55 for 14 miles. My Miles/Kwh went from 3.1 to 4.4. Slow down to 30 or even 20 you will see a dramatic increase in range. My Std I5 could go from 226 miles to over 300 miles range at a very low speed due to the lower aerodynamic drag. My previous Ioniq Hybrid averaged 64 mpg at 55 mph using alcohol free gas. In the winter at 75 mph I got 58 mpg. One day I got 75 mpg due to a 10 mile long traffic jam moving steady at 20 mph.

· Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
1,117 Posts
Trade the car in for an Ioniq 6. That, at last, has decent aerodynamics, unlike the brick-shaped 5. And go for 2WD, with 18" sensible rims rather than 20" low-profiles which sap the miles/kWh. You'll be amazed at the range difference.

Reactions: MIkeS
1 - 17 of 17 Posts