Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I no longer see Ioniq commercials on television, nor do I see Ioniq's even advertised along with the rest of Hyundai products. What the heck is going on?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Never saw an advert for the Ioniq. First I knew of it was when my wife said, "I like that car over there," when I was busy getting comfy in a Seat Ateca diesel SUV.
The franchise we were in had Seat and Hyundai vehicles in the same showroom. The rest as they say, is history.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It's all a function of where Hyundai wants to spend their advertising money. Typically auto makers put most of their advertising funds into the high volume vehicles that appeal to the mass market. They use that as brand awareness to bring people in and some of them learn of the other vehicles such as the Ioniq. Occasionally they will throw a little money into the lower volume vehicle to give it an awareness kick then see where that goes. But won't continually advertise the low volume cars, they need to get those high volume ones moving.

In the USA we have seen this behavior from all auto makers. Toyota did some hard splashing of the Prius a year ago, now very little to none. Honda did the same on their hybrid. Kia did some SuperBowl expensive ads to kick off the Niro then no more. The list goes on and on. This is how the auto industry works as well as many other consumer product arenas.

·
Super Moderator
7,777 Posts
here in the UK we had a short run or advertising for the Ioniq when it first came out in 2016, but nothing since then

they have never had an issue selling more than they could supply so I suppose they don't need to spend any money in their eyes, its doing well enough without advertising

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my country, it is the 7th best selling car so far this year, and it is constantly being advertised. 8/10 are electric. I see them everywhere, all the time. It is a super mainstream car, quite simply.

·
Registered
443 Posts
And which country is that?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't think I've ever seen an advert for an Ioniq. Come to think of it, I can't remember how I came to know of its existence. Glad I did though.
Went into my Hyundai dealer thinking of buying an i40 and saw that they had a HEV Ioniq. Looked at that and realised how good it was, then bought a PHEV a couple of months later when I had issues with my 7+ years old Megane.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
@Hrud please fill in your location information in the User CP (under the Edit Your Details section). You mentioned the Ioniq is the 7th best selling car in your country, but you haven't told us where you are. Please do so! It helps everybody else, whether you're seeking advice or offering it, or simply celebrating the Ioniq in your country. It really helps to know where that is.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I can honestly say I've never seen the Ioniq advertised anywhere, except on my dealer's website.

I went on there to initially price out a new Elantra or something similar, but then I discovered the Ioniq. I can't be 100% certain, but I think I may have seen an Ioniq on the road just a week or so before that. I had always wanted to get a liftback version of the Accent or the Elantra, but those weren't available when I bought either my last Accent or Elantra, but I'm pretty sure I saw a liftback Hyundai on the road just a week or so before I went to price out a new Elantra, and can only conclude that I must have seen an Ioniq.

·
Super Moderator
1,808 Posts
@Hrud please fill in your location information in the User CP (under the Edit Your Details section). You mentioned the Ioniq is the 7th best selling car in your country, but you haven't told us where you are. Please do so! It helps everybody else, whether you're seeking advice or offering it, or simply celebrating the Ioniq in your country. It really helps to know where that is.
Scandinavia ...maybe Norway ?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
here in the UK we had a short run or advertising for the Ioniq when it first came out in 2016, but nothing since then

they have never had an issue selling more than they could supply so I suppose they don't need to spend any money in their eyes, its doing well enough without advertising
There is a generic Hyundai UK advert which features the Ioniq which is still current.
But I agree, why advertise when you can't get `em fast enough?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've never seen an advert for one. I was all set to spend £30,000 on an e-Golf, when I decided to do some last minute research on YouTube. I saw a road test on all the main EV players in a Norwegian winter, and something called the Ioniq beat the lot of them (it even pipped a Tesla to the winning post). I then saw Robert Llewellyn's enthusiastic road test on Fully Charged, and was sold. When I looked at the Ioniq, I was able to get a deal for a brand new Ioniq for £22,500. How do Hyundai do it for that price?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've never seen an Ioniq ad on TV or the press in the US, and only knew of its existence as a result of a few seconds on-camera in a motoring show on TV in 2017, where it was being described as a 'serious challenger to the Prius'. Given that I had a Prius at the time and was going to be in the market to replace it, I took notice of the possible alternative.

By the time I was about to trade in the Prius this year, I'd forgotten about the Ioniq, and only rediscovered it when it became clear that if I got a new Prius, the one I could afford would have a lot less of the features I wanted. Deciding whether to downsize my wanted equipment of keep the old Prius, I came across mention of the Ioniq.

The reason I think the lack of advertising is damaging sales is that my dealer had 5 on the lot when I test drove mine. I bought it, and one other has been sold since, but three are still there. That isn't a measure of the cars selling themselves, or demand exceeding or even matching supply. That's a measure of a fine vehicle being badly undersold.

As someone reminded me in another thread, the US is hardly a hotbed of fuel-efficiency, but not singing the praises of this car in the marketplace seems to be counter productive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've never seen an ad in Canada, either. For that matter, ads for any EV's are rare - I think I saw one for the Clarity once a year or so ago.

It was on my radar as far back as 2017 when the Ioniq was first released, but it was outside the budget we were looking at then. Bought a used Volt instead (and then a second, which we still have and love), which was awesome...but when (2 years later) it came time to move on from one of the Volts, the Ioniq was squarely on my radar again..and here we are.

·
Registered
453 Posts
2 years ago Kia ran a short US ad campaign for the Niro. When I was looking to replace my Prius I looked at the Niro. The body style did not match my needs. The salesman happened to mention it was built on the same system as the Ioniq. I had never heard of the Ioniq and probably never would have if he did not mention it.

I understand why they don't put their limited marketing dollars into the Ioniq if it is a much smaller seller than they high volume vehicles. However, they also lack advertising on their many other vehicles in their product line too. Hyundai would do well to do a small brand advertising focused campaign. These are commonly done by highlighting a high volume vehicle but also putting a few seconds on all the products in a manufacturer's lineup. Chevrolet is the master at this in the USA. Hyundai and Kia would do well to raise awareness of the products in their lineup in such a manner.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts