Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prompted by the fire extinguisher thread...

The car came with a tyre inflator, and a first aid kit.

I would suggest that it also needs a warning triangle, hi-viz vests, fire extinguisher, torch, possibly also an emergency beacon.

The jury is still out on jack and wheel removal tools (might not be easy to change a wheel at the roadside using a scissor jack, even assuming it was actually available for the IONIQ 5).

The law in Italy (where I spend some time each year) is that at least one hi-viz vest must be inside the cabin (so that the driver does not have to exit the vehicle without it). Obviously, it is also recommended that the fire extinguisher within the driver's reach, but this might not be easy to achieve.

What do you keep in your car?

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq EV/ SE in Blue/Black Interior
129 Posts
Good Post- safety gear. First thought, Europa is far ahead of the USA in such things. My emergency kit, based on military/wartime service{ and yours can/may be different] is 01st aide kit and the knowledge of how to use it. two 'torches'[flash light USA terms}, one up front, one in the kit in the 'boot'. A window smash tool in the center storage, fire extinguisher, a K-Bar knife{that would give the UK 'Bobbies' a fit, given the 'laws' of the UK}. In winter, at least one blanket for local trips, more for a road trip{ I own 12 blankets!}, a dedicated, el cheap, cell phone & charger that fits perfectly in the sun glass holder. Most often at least one military issue canteen of water, and several MREs. I have to wonder of the snowed in Va. drivers, how many had food, water and blankets, for the "X" hours stuck on the roadway. Last a former DDR tri fold shovel, and in winter a SMALL sandbag. I am glad its just me in the EV. I carry enough safety gear to account for the other 04 passengers weight!

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
149 Posts
A window smash tool in the center storage
Don't have a 5, but I think I read somewhere that the side windows are laminated like the windshield for acoustic attenuation. That means they won't crumble like tempered side windows will. Not sure how that plays out for rapid egress, but I think the rear window is tempered and will crumble with a sharp rap.

Like the 5, my i-MiEV has no spare tire. I don't trust myself to replace the tire goo every few years to keep it fresh, and I don't like that tire goo essentially destroys the tire - most shops won't repair a tire that's had goo in it. So I keep a plug kit and spare plugs. (Important caveat - I know how to use it. Experience is required for it to be useful.) It's a local car so I don't bother with a jack and lug wrench, For a 5, which would be used for longer stretches, I'd include those, plus gloves and a sturdy waterproof tarp to make repairs more pleasant. And for any long excursions I'd probably add a space-saver spare wheel & tire (which I'd probably have to research and assemble myself).

Sometimes a tire failure isn't in the tread, it's in the sidewall. A plug won't help and you need a spare. I learned that the hard way. Really ruined my day.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
138 Posts
All depends on what climate you live in and season, these live my car most of the time:

First aid kit*
Warning triangle*
Metal snow shovel (don’t get a plastic one)
Ice scrap/snow brush
Head torch (so can use both hands if needed)
A small zipbag of gravel (for grip on ice)
Tow rope (this is in case I need to tow someone out of a snow ditch etc.., I know you shouldn’t tow en EV).
5 hi-viz vests (enough for everyone).

Tyre/tire mobility kit*. It’s in the car but I wouldn’t use it. I don’t want to try to repair it on the side of the road. Safer for everyone to call for roadside assistance even if you have to wait a few hours. Once it in the workshop, they can take the wheel off and properly inspect the wheel and tyre/tire for damage and repair/replacement if needed.

*came with the car

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Ultimate AWD + Tech + Eco Galactic Grey on Order
228 Posts
Well generally for the UK nothing!

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
625 Posts
I've packed one of those window-hammers in my Ioniq 38. Heard in here about a guy who managed to lock himself in somehow, in such a way it was impossible to get out! I've checked that if the doors are locked from the inside, and the 12V suddenly dies so the car's lifeless, you cannot unlock the front doors using that tiny toggle thing. I'd have hoped it was mechanical only, but no, some solenoid operates to allow you out. No 12V, no solenoid, you're stuck unless you can crawl into the boot & unlock the hatch by poking into a slot near the catch.

I bet the Ioniq 5's the same ...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Such a problem with the doors. Sometimes there is tech for the sake of tech. My IONIQ BEV does have the little lock/unlock gadget, thankfully. Being trapped in your car because of a dead 12V should not happen

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Long Range AWD 2022
328 Posts
I've packed one of those window-hammers in my Ioniq 38. Heard in here about a guy who managed to lock himself in somehow, in such a way it was impossible to get out! I've checked that if the doors are locked from the inside, and the 12V suddenly dies so the car's lifeless, you cannot unlock the front doors using that tiny toggle thing. I'd have hoped it was mechanical only, but no, some solenoid operates to allow you out. No 12V, no solenoid, you're stuck unless you can crawl into the boot & unlock the hatch by poking into a slot near the catch.

I bet the Ioniq 5's the same ...
That must be fun if the 12V battery catches fire for some reason and you're inside...

·
Registered
625 Posts
The 12V is unlikely to catch fire, as (almost) all are lead-acids, but there's always the remote chance of skidding into a canal, that shorts out the 12V & all the electrics, and you're inside, trying to escape a flooding car. The hammer thing also has a sharp blade in a slot to slice through seat-belt, if that's also stopping you moving around. I hope I never need it, but it's always in the driver's door pocket where I can reach it. It also has a built-in LED torch!

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 12V is unlikely to catch fire, as (almost) all are lead-acids, but there's always the remote chance of skidding into a canal, that shorts out the 12V & all the electrics, and you're inside, trying to escape a flooding car. The hammer thing also has a sharp blade in a slot to slice through seat-belt, if that's also stopping you moving around. I hope I never need it, but it's always in the driver's door pocket where I can reach it. It also has a built-in LED torch!
The door pocket is worse than the glove box, for the tool. Even a few hard rolls and toss, or a full turn over, and the tool is 'lost in space". The center box latch is about the same quality as the glove box, as to holding power, but in a bang up, the 'default position' is down, with a glove box it is 'open'. Mine sits on the inside wall, held in place with some stick on velcro strips.
And I was in a flooding auto, years ago. I was very glad I did not choose the option{then} of electric window devices. Thus a few turns of the window crank handle and I was Out and Safe.
Perhaps someone with access to a junk yard, can real world test this device on the fancy, high tech glass, and report back.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Good point! But if I was upside down, held in by a locked belt, I doubt I could reach the glovebox. My central box is full of other stuff, so I'll look into adding a velcro section inside the door pocket.
Agree about tempered/laminated glass, read somewhere the hatchback window might be tempered & shatter nicely to tiny pieces, while the door & front screens may be laminated to hard to open up, & likely to lacerate you exitting? And presumably this will vary model to model?

Reactions: larrywest42

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
706 Posts
Tesla changed to laminated front windows but kept tempered rear windows. The speculation is because the rear door do not have readly accessable manual opening handles - electric only unless you dig out the emergency release pull - they retained the tempered glass so people could break their way out. I have seen a video of breaking the laminated Tesla glass but don't remember much about it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the right hand side on the underfloor storage at the back, there's a recess that looks like its meant to hold a warning triangle.

The owner's manual does not have any information regarding the possible location of an original-fitment warning triangle, or the purpose of this recess.

The owner's manual does have a generic page which looks like it was copied from Hyundai's ICE cars manual, giving general information on how a warning triangle, first aid kit, and a fire extinguisher should be used, but nothing regarding their location in the IONIQ 5 (which, Incidentally, came with none of the above).

I did manage to buy an original Hyundai warning triangle, but the plastic Hyundai case doesn't fit in the recess (I also bought a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher for the car, but they are not Hyundai branded).

Does anyone know what this recess is for? And if it's indeed for a warning triangle, where do you get the correct genuine Hyundai item that will fit (and what's the Hyundai part number for it)?

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
149 Posts
Two things: First, I'm pretty sure the pointy hammer will get you nothing but maybe a crack in the laminated side windows of a 5. The laminated film does a pretty good job of keeping the window intact and preventing things from going through it. If you're planning on exiting through a broken window, I think that plan needs to be reworked.

Second, you might be right on canal water shorting out all the electronics, but I doubt it. Water is a conductor, though not a very good one. (It's actually an effective insulator if it's distilled, with no mineral ions.) So any 'shorts' will only be partial. Solenoids are more than likely to work. Logic circuits that activate the higher-current-carrying components (like solenoids) might in fact be vulnerable, but even that is not a given. I would not be at all surprised to learn the 5 works unexpectedly well as a submarine.

In the earlier days of hobbyist-built EVs using open-frame forklift motors, the question would often come up concerning what happens if they get wet. Turns out they will run completely submerged, even with water inside the motor. Water will certainly short off some of your current, but copper is a MUCH better conductor, so everything still works fine. Water is more of a problem because what comes in with it makes a big mess and can cause ground faults (unintended connections between the high-voltage traction circuits and the chassis).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts