Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those who seriously consider going for an Ioniq 5 (like me and my son), might want to explore in more detail what extra's exactly the Ioniq 5 has to offer, compared to the Kona EV and to the current Ioniq, and then to assess whether they are worth the money. For now, I see the following promised pluses:
  1. much faster charging at home (for me a substantial 3x increase from 3.7 kW to 11 kW would be possible)
  2. ultrafast charging on the road (very much faster than both the current Kona and Ioniq: charging up to 80% in less than 15 minutes, if the charging station can deliver that)
  3. more space in the car (substantially more than the Kona and the same or a bit more than the current Ioniq)
  4. a bit more range (not very much compared to the Kona EV, but still substantially more compared to the current 28 kWh and 38 kWh Ioniq)
  5. all-wheel drive
  6. continuous software update via Internet
  7. a special design
For me, the first four items will count the most. These four would make me willing to spend a few thousands more. Also, the last item counts a bit. From the viewpoint of safety, point 5. may also have some value.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree that the first four items are the most important. It's a bit puzzling that they expect to raise prices and still increase their market share. Most experts predict that electric cars will get better performance and lower prices over the next few years, as batteries get better and cheaper and competition gets tougher.

As for the design - I think that the "45" concept car is extremely ugly, and its sharp edges hurt my eyes. I would never buy a car that looks like that, so I really hope that the production model will have a more conventional, softer, and less futuristic look. I honestly think that the current Ioniq is one of the most beautiful cars that have ever been built, so it would be a shame to throw all that away.

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 20-year old son, who is in my environment the expert in design, style, and fashion, loves this type of design, and maybe partly I have been infected by that...

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
47 Posts
Presumably the Ioniq 5 will be able to tow? The one thing I really miss on my EV is a towbar to take a small trailer to the tip with garden cuttings in. I'm sure it would fit, but H decided not to homologate the EV to tow for some reason, maybe cost, and maybe they can sell all the non-towing EVs anyway so why bother. Maybe weight could be an issue. Interesting ID.3 also can't tow a trailer, even though the same MQB platform in ID.4 can! ID.3 only gets weight problems AFAIK in the long-range model with a huge 70+ kWh battery, so it loses the 5th seat & roof-rack, fair enough. So surely the much lighter Ioniq could tow say a 200 Kg unbraked tiny trailer?

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There were some suggestions that the all-wheel-drive version of the Ioniq 5 with the bigger battery would be able to tow at least something. But it was so vague that I will wait for a while for further confirmation before I consider it as a fact. I would also be very happy with that option.

For the current Ioniq EV, the weight of the battery is at the rear side of the car. If you add still more weight behind the rear wheels, the grip of the front wheels becomes less, which may add to unsafety on slippery roads.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Plugin, Phantom black
149 Posts
My 20-year old son, who is in my environment the expert in design, style, and fashion, loves this type of design, and maybe partly I have been infected by that...
Jan sounds like you're more an italian design kinda guy as opposed to your son! That's good.
With all those angles on the 5, does he like the Prius?;)

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
47 Posts
Hmm, the 38 has 50-50 weight distribution I believe, as the extra cells were added under the front seats.So it has better weight distribution than the 28, which was tail-heavy. Adding a small trailer would just make it more like the 28 again! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jan sounds like you're more an italian design kinda guy as opposed to your son! That's good.
With all those angles on the 5, does he like the Prius?;)
Do you mean the old 2013 Prius Plug In I had up to the end of 2016 or the latest controversial Prius designs?

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Plugin, Phantom black
149 Posts
Do you mean the old 2013 Prius Plug In I had up to the end of 2016 or the latest controversial Prius designs?
I believe the 2016+models. Those models with angles going ever which way. Do u agree?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts