Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
LED lights everywhere!
If we're trying to save electricity and reduce running ICE to recharge, make every bulb in the car LED - headlights included. LED uses a small fraction of electricity that an incandescent bulb uses. Incandescent bulbs which are currently strewn about in a base BLUE HEV.

assuming:
4 in the passenger cabin 20W x 4 = 80
1 in the cargo area 20W
2 headlights 55W x 2 = 110
4 blinkers 20W x 4 = 80
4 side markers 20W x 4 = 80
2 reverse lights 20W x 2 = 40
2 license plate lights 15W x 2 = 30
and possibly others I didn't account for.

Total = 440W of incandescent bulbs or 440Wh / 12v = 36.7Ah - you could conservatively cut 50% electric consumption down to 220W = 18.3Ah

Now, wouldn't that benefit the consumers?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I looked last year at LED headlights and compared draw. They didn't save enough to be worthwhile to me. But I agree that especially for BEVs, everything should be LED, and infotainment systems more efficient. Even if deployed just for HEVs (like mine), it could make a global difference. I'm not entirely sure why manufacturers don't do this, there doesn't seem to be a huge wholesale cost difference. Perhaps there is a reliability difference (perhaps from heat) from the local circuitry required to change 12 volts DC to what LEDs use. Certainly LED headlights seem to require cooling fans.

·
Registered
409 Posts
18Ah savings on a 100Ah output alternator seems like a good idea to me. Less drag, less consumption, less drain. If they can spend $$$ money on active shutter grille, they could spend a couple of bucks on LED

·
Registered
5 Posts
1. Driver-accessible release for trunk. Would be helpful when picking up/dropping off at airport etc

2. Permanent off option for mirror’s compass. It’s distracting and redundant with nav. (It comes back on every time you start the car.)

3. Move the gas tank door release so not next to 12V jumpstart button — too easy to push the wrong one.

4. Lane departure warning switch should have light on switch like blind-spot button.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Things that would be nice
  • Rear window wiper.
  • Option to turn off IC engine, i.e. just use the electric motor and batteries
  • A place to hook a bungie-cord (or thread a rope) to allow for tailgate being open with an extended load (like long pieces of wood)
  • factory available roof rack (bars), again for oversized loads, and/or bike/kayak/etc rack
-GPS on the not only top (limited) model

·
Registered
14 Posts
a couple more...
- left side cargo area lighting (sel only has right side)
-lane assist noise only option (maybe this exists already - but I can not get it to work). I find the lane keeping, on windy roads likes to fight me in corners, turning left it tries to bump the car to the right....

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
lane assist noise only option
Effectively this would be the same as a lane departure warning, which you already have when you cross a line without your turn signals activated. I can just barely notice this warning in my car with the radio on, it is low volume. No option in my car to change the alert volume and I would like it a bit louder. But it certainly has the potential to annoy a driver, probably the light LKAS push on the steering wheel is a better notification. However in my 2018 with its not so advanced LKAS, it doesn't always correct when starting to go over a line, but the alert is still on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
1. Heat pump for heating so that I can drive with a warm cabin without using the ICE.

2. LKA should drop out if the lane edge line splits into two giving two options to follow.

3. Fuel consumption on trip data. This is available in the EV History, but would be great to have in the trip data as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get rid of the touch screen environmental controls. I know, South Korean engineers didn't take into account into how cold it gets in northern winters, and thought they were cool. But when it's -25 to -35 degrees celsius, and you're wearing gloves, it's a pain in the butt to take off your gloves to change the settings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rear window wiper/mister - especially for the section of the rear window BELOW the "spoiler".
It gets very dirty (tough to see out of ) quickly.

option to add/update system to include GPS on lower then top end model (I have an sel - no gps)

a rear hatch release from inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
HEV SE Premium 2017
384 Posts
1/ When locking with the key fob, any open windows to shut automatically as with my previous hyundai i40.
2/As mentioned elsewhere on this thread.
Ability to use Bluetooth and CarPlay/AndroidAuto simultaneously with 2 separate phones.
3/ A button to shut the boot automatically.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1st. Car owner doing service by them self without losing warrenty.(norway)
2,nd. Improve the solenoid pin in charging point,it just broke of no reason,(unless some one try to steel cable when the car charging)
3th. Door handle falling of,please come up with a improved replacement solution.

·
Registered
Phantom Black Ioniq Premium SE Electric
4 Posts
I wish there was a panoramic sunroof option, a built in dashcam that allows you to records in the rear view mirror and also an button to open the boot from within the vehicle and a button to automatically close.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq SEL
76 Posts
My list would include:

1. Improve the position of the backup lights. It is very difficult to see at night with these lights as they do not light up very well what is behind you.
2. Increase the head room for passengers in the back seat.
3. Make the "floorboard" in the trunk area more substantial. It feels like a piece of stiff cardboard.
For #1, a good set of LED reverse lights make a remarkable difference.

281 - 295 of 295 Posts