Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

261 - 280 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Since we’re dreaming in Technicolor, as the saying goes:
  1. Any Ioniq for the same price as today’s base Elantra :) We need to make low-emission vehicles the really popular choice or we’ll be in big trouble climate-wise.
  2. Ioniq EV with over 500 km range. Even at 50% due to severe winter weather, it would be over 250 km. That‘s the magic number for us, because we need to be able to go that distance quickly in an emergency, without stopping, even in mid-winter. 700 kW fast charging too, of course :)
  3. Ioniq EV/PHEV with cargo space actually matching our old 2008 Prius. The Ioniq comes closer than all competing vehicles, but it’s still not quite there.
i said that it’s just dreaming, right? :)

Reactions: bluioniq

·
Registered
51 Posts
1. Stop inflating the EV price and sell it with the same profit margin as the hybrid (ergo, sell it at max 6k more than the hybrid, not 12k)
2. Put in a 50 kWh battery with charging from 10-80% in 30 minutes at a 70kW charger.

That's it. I have just configured my next car.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Since we’re dreaming in Technicolor, as the saying goes:
  1. Ioniq EV/PHEV with cargo space actually matching our old 2008 Prius. The Ioniq comes closer than all competing vehicles, but it’s still not quite there.
i said that it’s just dreaming, right? :)
It is dreaming all right! The Ioniq HEV matches the Prius for storage. Where did you want to put the extra batteries for the PHEV and the BEV? Or the Prius PHEV for that matter?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
1. Stop inflating the EV price and sell it with the same profit margin as the hybrid (ergo, sell it at max 6k more than the hybrid, not 12k)
The larger battery cost alone is more than 6K.j

·
Registered
51 Posts
The larger battery cost alone is more than 6K.j
Yes it is. But my calculations are as follows:

• 40 kWh battery at €200 consumer price: €8000
  • 100 kWh electric motor: €1500
  • charger: 500
  • controller: 1000
Total: 11k

savings:
  • petrol engine: 2000
  • hybrid clutch and gear system: 1000
  • hybrid battery, motor, charger: 1500
  • catalyst, alternator, exhaust, fuel pump, tank: 500
Total savings: 5k

Total difference: 6k

·
Registered
234 Posts
2. Put in a 50 kWh battery with charging from 10-80% in 30 minutes at a 70kW charger.

That's it. I have just configured my next car.
i wonder what range the Ioniq EV would have with 50 kWh. And with 64 kWh like Kona EV?..

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's easy: (311 / 38) * 50 = 409 km.
A heavier battery might reduce the effective range in some situations, e.g. multiple rapid accelerations (stop and go/highway speed/stop and go…) and/or going uphill. So it would not necessarily be a linear relationship between battery size and range.

·
Registered
135 Posts
1 Android Auto without the need to hardwire usb
2 Fix the rattle coming from the rear passenger seats
3 Better POI implementation. EG display on map and search nearby imported poi’s

·
Registered
51 Posts
A heavier battery might reduce the effective range in some situations, e.g. multiple rapid accelerations (stop and go/highway speed/stop and go…) and/or going uphill. So it would not necessarily be a linear relationship between battery size and range.
True, but roughly 75 kilos of battery against a >1500 kg car is only some 5% more weight. It's like having an extra passenger on board so I would say it's not that significant.

·
Registered
918 Posts
True, but roughly 75 kilos of battery against a >1500 kg car is only some 5% more weight. It's like having an extra passenger on board so I would say it's not that significant.
Except that the increase from 28 Kw to 38Kw of aprox 33% has not resulted in the same % increase in range.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Except that the increase from 28 Kw to 38Kw of aprox 33% has not resulted in the same % increase in range.
True. The 28 kWh has a WLTP range of 204 km, the 38 kWh has a WLTP range of 311, an increase of 52%. I must say that I don't really trust these figures. On the basis of the 36% increase in battery capacity, the WLTP range would be 277. The current 311 km WLTP means that there is an efficiency gain of 44 km, roughly 16%. I find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
918 Posts
True. The 28 kWh has a WLTP range of 204 km, the 38 kWh has a WLTP range of 311, an increase of 52%. I must say that I don't really trust these figures. On the basis of the 36% increase in battery capacity, the WLTP range would be 277. The current 311 km WLTP means that there is an efficiency gain of 44 km, roughly 16%. I find that hard to believe.
These figures cannot be accurate. I recall that when I was looking at the Ioniq with a view to purchase range was given as 174 miles. I believe I have seen the uprated version range as circa 220 miles, which makes more sense.

·
Registered
51 Posts
These figures cannot be accurate. I recall that when I was looking at the Ioniq with a view to purchase range was given as 174 miles. I believe I have seen the uprated version range as circa 220 miles, which makes more sense.
AFAIK those are the official figures. 220 miles? No way.

·
Registered
918 Posts
AFAIK those are the official figures. 220 miles? No way.
You're right. There is a typo in the new Ioniq range I meant to say 200 miles, and it could possibly be less. Either way it does not amount to a 33% increase over the previous model.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You're right. There is a typo in the new Ioniq range I meant to say 200 miles, and it could possibly be less. Either way it does not amount to a 33% increase over the previous model.
Erm, it actually amounts to a 52% increase over the previous model, whereas the new battery has 36% more capacity than the old model.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Erm, it actually amounts to a 52% increase over the previous model, whereas the new battery has 36% more capacity than the old model.
I disagree. The previous model is rated at 174 miles, which matches wwhat I am achieving.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wishes, that may be possible with my existing 2018 Ioniq EV:
  • Now that the 2020 EU model has Bluelink, offer an upgrade for the older models. I would happily pay $299 for the hardware install + a X months of use included.
  • Option to automatically stop charging at X% and sound an alarm. This to avoid the slower part of the charging curve and allow the driver to (power-)nap while charging. (Good for longer rides.)
  • 3-phase charging upgrade for existing models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1} link the driver only heating button to seat belt connections, ie defaults to on when only the drivers seat belt is connected. Of course this should be deselectable by pressing the button.
2} have an option to set the heating system to not force the ICE to run just to provide heat.
3) fit the exhaust heat recovery WHRS to UK spec cars. Mine hasn't got one and it seems bonkers to waste this source of waste heat in the UK as it can be wet and miserable here quite a lot of the time.

261 - 280 of 295 Posts