Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

241 - 260 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
My Ioniq does have rain sensing wipers, and I don't even have the highest spec (BEV). Doesn't yours? Can't comment on the ICE noise though, the rest would be nice indeed.
I have noticed that the European and Canadian models have different options than the US models. Rain sensing wipers were not an option offered here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After 1 month's ownership I have discovered much of what I am missing is provided for in the 'Premium' model

1. LED Headlights ... I just HATE the colour of the stock bulbs & have just received a set of 'OSRAM Night Breaker' H7 & HB3. They are not LED but brighter/whiter Halogens so shouldn't require modification
  2. Front parking sensors or camera ... Would have thought this to be a no-brainer
  3. Automatic Folding Mirrors ... Again, my partner's Elantra has them so had thought they would just have been standard

The 'Premium' model (Had it been available) would have all of these 'options' at a further $5k price-tag - I managed to grab a Demo Elite for a 4k discount
So - would I have paid what amounts to 9k extra for these options - no!

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Taken a while but having driven a Kona 4WD...

1. Head Up Display
2. Bigger battery
3. A couple options from Premium to Premium SE... Rain sensors, leather seats, front sensors(maybe)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Curious to hear if the OSRAM are as white as the DRL.
The Osram H7 are certainly brighter - but certainly not as 'white' as the LED I had in my previous vehicle.
On the other hand, they are legal! (And required no modifications at all)

Haven't had a chance to give the HB3 a good test which I will do whilst driving this weekend ... will report back

·
Registered
183 Posts
1. Folding mirrors for all models. Cheaper and older EV's even have those. (Like Imievs, Zero's, Ions)
2. rear window wipers
3. A tow bar for bikes or low weight trailers (say 350 kgs).

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
I'm still wishing for an estate/touring version , increased cargo space maybe even larger battery ;)

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I'm still wishing for an estate/touring version , increased cargo space maybe even larger battery ;)
Already here! It is called the Niro. Same battery size though unless you get a PHEV or BEV.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Already here! It is called the Niro. Same battery size though unless you get a PHEV or BEV.
Less cargo space though ( marginally in the HEV ) unless you get the Niro EV at £12000 more

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Hatch, wagon, SUV, crossover: all marketing terms and can refer to the exact same shape and often do! If you want the Ioniq drivetrain with a hot hatch or wagon or crossover like extra carrying room, the Niro is it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Still waiting for the ionic (3 to 5 weeks from now?) But here are my top items based on a test drive and customer experience so far:

1. Increase availability – reduce wait times - have them in stock at dealerships so people can actually try them. We need more HEV and PHEV in particular. They’re more affordable and convenient for many people than pure EVs. They can help to reduce carbon emissions now, as we need to do it quickly, rather than later, when pure EVs become cheaper and more suitable for more people. (And I keep reading that there may not be enough high quality lithium and/or battery manufacturing capacity in a few years for a massive number of pure EVs. Again, more HEV and PHEV would help to reduce emissions sooner.

2. Currently, one has to do some research to find that the Ioniq exists. So please actually advertise and promote it! Again, we need these types of cars (see above).

3. I agree that we need more headroom in the back. Anyone with kids who are likely to grow tall would probably think, “Would they be able to fit there in a couple years?”

With more comfort for tall adults in the back, it would also make for a better taxi. That is a big part of the market for Prius. Why not go after it for the Ioniq, too?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Again, the Niro for more headroom and legroom for backseat passengers. Not as aero so it won't do as well at high speeds, but that is not a problem for city taxis. The Prius liftback is very similar (almost identical) to the Ioniq shape, it is the now discontinued Prius V that makes the most sense as a taxi for passenger comfort. But that one with Gen3 mechanicals doesn't get the mpg of the Niro.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
The main reason I would like to see a touring /estate version is for practicality i.e. cargo volume . As I understand it the cargo volume for the Niro Hybrid is 427 Litres Ioniq Hybrid 433 , Niro PHEV 324 Litres Ioniq PHEV 334 Litres , e-Niro 482 Litres Ioniq EV 334 Litres . So the Ioniq is marginally more practical than the Niro except in EV guise where the e-Niro wins hands down .
The only reasonably priced EV on the horizon in the UK to match the cargo space of the e-Niro is the MG ZS EV due September 1st which has a rumoured target price of £24000 . No figures are out on he range of the MG though it's believed to be about 200 miles . Not enough range for my liking but I think it may sorely tempt many buyers :)

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Official cargo volume numbers are a funny critter. If you have an Ioniq and a Niro side by side (any variant), put the rear seats down and take a look from the back, you will have zero doubt that the Niro's ability to load a lot of different shaped stuff (other than packing peanuts) and ease of loading (lower entry) is far greater than the Ioniq. Try putting a bicycle in the back upright for example. Not a chance in the Ioniq. Which is the major reason I bought the Niro over the more aero Ioniq. I have my bicycle inside my car and can sleep fully stretched out in the back (even though the Niro is shorter than the Ioniq) which I do on long trips (saving far more on accommodations than I would on gas if I had the Ioniq).

Perhaps unique personal use, but there are lots of folks that need to carry stuff. The Niro makes a far better taxi than the Ioniq for example. Tax rules (and pricing) limits that use in the UK, but not in the US where the Niro outsells the Ioniq three to one. Carrying family and pets is another condition where Niros are generally more comfortable than the Ioniq.

Just another choice. You can make lots of use cases that are different and valid for both cars. But if you want more legroom, more headroom, useable storage and the Ioniq drivetrain, well the choice is clear.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I dunno about the pet thing yticolev. My dogs would have a lot of trouble fitting on the floor of the trunk in the Niro but do just fine in the Ioniq, even with the seats up! They are 50 and 75lbs (Border Collie / Heeler and a Lab / Heeler). We've even stuck my sister-in-law's 11lb Klee Kai back there with them and had 4 adults in the seats for a couple hours up into the mountains.

As for stuff, fuggetaboutit.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
I suppose the cargo volume is down to the user . I'm a rainy day kind of guy and would prefer the larger volume just in case needed , though the Ioniq suits me fine . I've owned 3 Renault Scenics which are superbly practical family cars if a tad boring visually .
I did consider the Niro , but a similarly specced Niro to my Ioniq Premium was a few thousand pounds dearer in the UK on larger wheels pushing CO2 emissions over 100gKm . So Ioniq it was ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
1. Rear wipers
2. Stop using glossy black plastic. They get dirty and scratch easily.
3. Electronic emergency brake instead of the 1950's style foot brake.
4. US base model should all come with heated mirrors as standard equipment. This is a safety item not a luxury item. I would give up electronic climate control and Apple Car Play for heated mirrors.
5. Flat loading floor for cargo area

I added 2 more for good measure

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't even own/ the car yet. However, these are my gripes:
1. Larger battery (200kWh like the Roadster)
2. Ability to pre-heat car from the phone
3. Better phone integration
Instead of likes/dislikes and negative postings could it be useful to collect user forum ideas on their highest prioritized functional improvements for next-generation Ioniqs?. It should be related to already existing functions which can be improved against relative minor costs. So not lacking functions available on other car brands or current not yet existing technology. Collecting these ideas into a unique top 10 should be valuable for Hyundai to upgrade its product at minimal effort and maximum customer satisfaction.

I often hear from my dealer that they don't read user forums, neither have any interest in them. Find that very curious.

Below is my top-3 of improvements:
1. Main switch off for satnav media centre
2. Add physical unlock handle inside for back hood latch.
3. Consolidated 12V LiPo battery with traction battery as in US models

Of course, I have more but let statistics do its job. I invite anyone to post his top3.
1-The current method of unlocking the door with the mechanical key needs a massive rethink!
2-Addon full waterproof rubber tub stye floor mats for northern sandy/salty winters.
3-A faster charger for the EV in 2021.
If I can't have # 3 by 2021 I will have to find a way to afford a Kona EV.
I am willing to trade an awesome 0.24 coefficient of drag, same as the Tesla S and model 3 for reasonable charging rates.
Reading through most of these posts it looks like we want Tesla style capabilities at a Hyundai price point!

241 - 260 of 295 Posts